Londoner taking the plunge(!)

LDN2AUS

Hey guys,

I've been combing through this forum for advice, some really helpful stuff. Thanks to all who have contributed!

In need of some advice.

I was born in The Big Smoke 28 years ago, and love this city. But, the last few months have left me wanting a bit more adventure.

I've been sent a few job specs for roles in Sydney and Melbourne. I'm keen to interview, but it I'm worried I'd have to downgrade my lifestyle if I did.

Some stats:
- 28 years old
- Single
- Work as a Marketing / Management Consultant 
- Base was £55k + 20% OTE + private healthcare + pension @ 3%

After speaking with a few recruiters, they expect an offer in the region of $110k + SUPER. I feel this is a bit low for my industry and would push for something around $130k. 

Would be great to get feedback on:

- My preference is Melbourne as it's more laid back. Is it too family oriented for a young(ish) outgoing guy?
- Is $110k enough for someone to live in Sydney city centre and have a sociable lifestyle?
- Guys working in innovation / insight / marketing consulting. What's your view on the job market at the moment?

Thanks in advance for reading and any advice given!

Cheers,

For $110 you will be sharing a rental house which will look like student digs. Sydney housing is extremely expensive but the social lifestyle is amazing, expect to pay a lot more for everything except petrol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt very much if $110 will get you anything (even sharing) in the city centre.  It might get you a rental share as themaccas said somewhere like Bondi but don't expect anything flash at all.  Sydney is very expensive!!

Even in Perth where rents are in decline the OP would be struggling to get something for $110 a week. Perhaps an over crowed student digs, with x number to a room? $125 would be around the cheapest here for anything like own room in a house in a half decent location. $150 is more the norm. Sydney or Melbourne would surely be more? Perhaps a short term house sit?

10 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Even in Perth where rents are in decline the OP would be struggling to get something for $110 a week.

Who said anything about $110 a week?    The OP mentioned $110,000 as yearly  salary.

• Like 3

Where does the OP say he expects to spend $110 a week on rent?

He expects to earn $110k (that's $110,000) a year. That's a net of $1528 a week. 

On that, he will be able to afford to pay $350-$400 a week for a very decent house share in a nice convenient suburb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skani said:

Who said anything about $110 a week?    The OP mentioned $110,000 as yearly  salary.

True enough. Only read posts above and assumed rental. Just shows the nonsense written when jumping in without adequate research. I'm not beyond that as above post clearly shows.

3 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

Where does the OP say he expects to spend $110 a week on rent?

He expects to earn $110k (that's $110,000) a year. That's a net of $1528 a week. 

On that, he will be able to afford to pay $350-$400 a week for a very decent house share in a nice convenient suburb.

Already explained. But a quite decent house? In Sydney in convenient location?

7 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Already explained. But a quite decent house? In Sydney in convenient location?

Yes. Loads of flat and house shares available in suburbs close to the city. 

For example - Bondi Junction. Close to city and beach. On train line. Nice places available between $350-$400 a week.

Yes I read 110k and just shortened it, sorry I wasn't clear. My son was renting in Surrey hills and now Balmain where he has a one bed apartment for $465 a week which is a bargain but it's extremely basic. He was renting a room in surry hills for just under $300 a week and it was like a student house! He has viewed many many places and believe me the pictures you see on websites are usually nothing like the reality!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies!

Apologies if it wasn't clear, it'd be $110k per annum with SUPER included.

Plan is to get a flatshare at least for the first few months. Flatmates.au looks like a good site to find people.

Any tips on suitable areas in Melbourne or Sydney?

Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, Toots said:

I doubt very much if $110 will get you anything (even sharing) in the city centre.  It might get you a rental share as themaccas said somewhere like Bondi but don't expect anything flash at all.  Sydney is very expensive!!

That was an average salary for the 20 somethings where I worked and they all lived in des res inner city suburbs and ate out regularly.  They were flat/ house sharing but in nice new apartments. You would struggle to live centrally on your own on that wage .

Ok so it's $110k incl super so is about $100k salary, should be about $6k per month after tax.  You can have a nice life on that as a 28 year old with no kids.

Should get a nice flatshare for $300-$400 per month.  Flatmates.com.au is a good place to look as you can filter on a lot of preferences.  Flat sharing will help you meet some people also.

In Sydney, you want to be inner city, I prefer the Inner west - look at Newtown, Balmain, Glebe.  Or potentailly Paddington, Surry Hills.  Bondi, Coogee, Randwick will be busy but a lot of back packers.

I don't know Melbourne too well but look at Carlton, Fitzroy, South Yarra, St Kilda.

Melbourne is about 10% cheaper than Sydney IMO

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are super helpful. Hopefully everyone in Aus is this friendly!

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

I would also say $110k plus super is a fair salary for market insight consulting. You may get more but it's a reasonable figure to base your budget on.

Do you have much experience in that field? If so would love to pick your brains, have a few companies in mind that friends have recommended.

1 hour ago, Collie said:

Ok so it's $110k incl super so is about $100k salary, should be about $6k per month after tax.  You can have a nice life on that as a 28 year old with no kids.

Should get a nice flatshare for $300-$400 per month.  Flatmates.com.au is a good place to look as you can filter on a lot of preferences.  Flat sharing will help you meet some people also.

In Sydney, you want to be inner city, I prefer the Inner west - look at Newtown, Balmain, Glebe.  Or potentailly Paddington, Surry Hills.  Bondi, Coogee, Randwick will be busy but a lot of back packers.

I don't know Melbourne too well but look at Carlton, Fitzroy, South Yarra, St Kilda.

Melbourne is about 10% cheaper than Sydney IMO

Great practical advice, thanks! 

Will update you guys as things progress. 

I worked on the client side in healthcare. Was involved in recruiting before I left so that's how I know about salaries. Generally market insights roles are in boutique agencies so if it's outside healthcare I won't be much help. If you are in HC pm me.

@BadgerLady posts on here and works in innovation consulting I think so she may be able to offer advice