Brisbane & surrounds

Guest just jo

Guest just jo

Hi everyone

We are currently living in Adelaide and are thinking about making a move to Queensland. We originally were heading to Queensland but I got cold feet at the last minute and talked my husband into coming to Adelaide as my brother lived here already and we'd got quite a lot of friends here. We came to Australia a lot on holiday before we moved and usually started in Adelaide and then moved on up the Sunshine Coast to explore. We always stayed at a resort though and didn't do any research on suburbs etc.

However, Steve has never really settled very well, he feels Adelaide is very backward and the wages are much lower here that in Queensland. There is not a lot to do when visitors come over although the beaches are beautiful, there are only so may wineries you can tour and he is worried that there will not be much in the way of job opportunities for the kids when they are older and he is also limited in his career prospects. We also pay a lot of tax and he is starting to talk me round. He thought initially he wanted to go back to the Uk but we recently went back on a break and we definately know we don't want to go back to live, so that leaves us with a problem. My brother has said he would come with us, he has no wife or kids and can also transfer his work.

I'm initally looking from Brisbane to Caloundra as a starting point. Steve works for Hansen Yunken as a site manager and he can transfer to the Queensland Office, he works on site so some travelling would be expected.

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some ideas about where you live and why you picked the suburb in the first place. We've got 3 kids aged 14, 12 & 4 so need schools, private or state. Please feel free to PM me with suburbs you don't like so we don't offend anyone publically. Obviously all my reasearch was based on Adelaide before we moved and to be honest, this is like starting the process all over again.

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo we live in a suburb called warner and its very nice. 35 min from CBD and hubby gets to work 50 min rush hour traffic.Good schools in the area(according to friends and one is a teacher) good Kindy(ABC Center) my daughter attends and she loves it. Small shopping centre in warner lakes estate and larger westfield 15min drive from here.

Its great for kids and I go to a local playgroup twice a week which is great for meeting new mums...and only costs a dollar.

The best thing is that its about half way between sunny and gold coast so they are both accessible and Redcliffe is 30mins too.

Guest donovan

Hiya Jo

We live Pacific Pines on the Gold Coast, this is about 40/50 mins from Brisbane (on a clear run) not too far from Mount tambourine or the beaches, great schools for kids lovely bbq & park areas.

Hope this helps

Sarah x

Guest just jo

Thanks, thats really helped. I've got a friend who lived in Warner and now lives in Albany Creek so i had a few ideas, I just wanted a wider selection of suburbs to have a look at.

When we moved to Adelaide, I knew what suburbs I was interested in as we'd been here before and I also had my brother to help me out. We've been in Adelaide 3 years and this move seems much bigger than when we moved to Australia in the first place.:arghh:

Please keep it coming

Jo

Guest melly

However, Steve has never really settled very well, he feels Adelaide is very backward and the wages are much lower here that in Queensland.

Jo

Am sure QLD is just as backward !

And aren't wages relative ? i.e houses in Adelaide are cheaper than here.

Oh, we live in Beerwah-we would not recommend it if you have kids (we don't) but plenty on the forum who love it :-)

Parts of Burpengary are lovely.

Guest melly
Why would you not recomend Beerwah for kids?

JOHN

Well we don't have kids....so maybe a bit unfair to comment but there does not seem a lot for them to do. The swimming pool is pretty average and never seems open, there is no shopping centre, no cinema, not many parks etc and all the youngsters seem to do is hang out at the chip shop in town !

There is one gym which costs a fortune per month, with no aircon (captive market).

In time Beerwah will come on, as the land on the new estates is selling well but in the meantime....we head to the coast for everything. And it takes about 25 minutes or so. Not that long, but long enough.

Now wait for the onslaught from the Beewarh mob :-)

Guest JoanneHattersley
he feels Adelaide is very backward

Jo

:biglaugh:Ha! Ha! QLD is backward too! That was one of the first things people said to me. There is time, Australia time and QLD time! I think QLD time goes backwards!!!!

Guest just jo

And aren't wages relative ? i.e houses in Adelaide are cheaper than here.

Houses are slightly cheaper here but we've had a real boom in the past few months and the average house is not that far behind anymore.

We don't feel the wages are relative. Steve has to work long hours for less money than he can earn somewhere else. Groceries are getting very expensive, I bet you don't pay $7 for a cauliflower? We pay more tax than any other State, mainly because there is only 1.7 million people in the whole state. As a comparision, Queenland comes out very favourably.

So back to the suburbs........

Jo

i Hate Cauliflower!!!! lol! Lol!

:biglaugh:LOL, Jo - Me too! But, I was thinking that if they can get people to pay $7 for something as horrid as a cauliflower, the cost of yummy food must be astronomical!!!

Thanks Cal and Jo for price checking and being my "Secret Shoppers," hehe. :notworthy:

And good luck to JustJo whatever you decide to do,

Best wishes

Mrs Tyke xx

We live in Wellington Point. It's around 30-45 mins from CBD (south). It's very nice here on the bayside. We've been in Oz for 7 weeks now and love it in this area. The wife works at the Princess Alexandra Hospital (same time scale away). We have looked at every street with in 5 km from where we live (I mean every street) and we are certain we are going to settle in the Bayside. Hopefully Wellington Point or Birkdale.

Each to their own though. What one likes, the other will hate.

If you come up to Brisbane for a look, look around here.

Best Regards

The Tuckers

Guest Aussiegirl
We live in Wellington Point. It's around 30-45 mins from CBD (south). It's very nice here on the bayside. We've been in Oz for 7 weeks now and love it in this area. The wife works at the Princess Alexandra Hospital (same time scale away). We have looked at every street with in 5 km from where we live (I mean every street) and we are certain we are going to settle in the Bayside. Hopefully Wellington Point or Birkdale.

Each to their own though. What one likes, the other will hate.

If you come up to Brisbane for a look, look around here.

Best Regards

The Tuckers

Hello, Wello point is where we will land later this year. How long is it to drive to Greenslopes Private Hospital? Do you have kids at the school? and what do they think. We have our hearts set on this area sounds like we wont be disappointed! You will have to let me know what the rentals are like and how hard it is to get one.

Guest AussieinLeeds
Hi everyone

We are currently living in Adelaide and are thinking about making a move to Queensland. We originally were heading to Queensland but I got cold feet at the last minute and talked my husband into coming to Adelaide as my brother lived here already and we'd got quite a lot of friends here. We came to Australia a lot on holiday before we moved and usually started in Adelaide and then moved on up the Sunshine Coast to explore. We always stayed at a resort though and didn't do any research on suburbs etc.

However, Steve has never really settled very well, he feels Adelaide is very backward and the wages are much lower here that in Queensland. There is not a lot to do when visitors come over although the beaches are beautiful, there are only so may wineries you can tour and he is worried that there will not be much in the way of job opportunities for the kids when they are older and he is also limited in his career prospects. We also pay a lot of tax and he is starting to talk me round. He thought initially he wanted to go back to the Uk but we recently went back on a break and we definately know we don't want to go back to live, so that leaves us with a problem. My brother has said he would come with us, he has no wife or kids and can also transfer his work.

I'm initally looking from Brisbane to Caloundra as a starting point. Steve works for Hansen Yunken as a site manager and he can transfer to the Queensland Office, he works on site so some travelling would be expected.

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some ideas about where you live and why you picked the suburb in the first place. We've got 3 kids aged 14, 12 & 4 so need schools, private or state. Please feel free to PM me with suburbs you don't like so we don't offend anyone publically. Obviously all my reasearch was based on Adelaide before we moved and to be honest, this is like starting the process all over again.

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo,

I grew up in Brisbane but have since moved to Golden Beach in Caloundra, but now we're living in Leeds temporarily. Here's my comments:

Firstly, I worked in consultancy in the water industry in Brisbane and there is alot of building going on. So I think your husband will find more job satisfaction up in Brisbane than Adelaide. One thing though is travel is horrible as the road system is at capacity. Especially considering the outer Brisbane north side, you'd need to use the gateway arterial to get into Brisbane and that just clogs up. I think you'll find high salaries in construction in Brisbane but also high pressure. I can add as well that in at least the water industry, some of the work done has been world leading with the recycled water and drought management strategies put in place.

Brisbane itself is a bit of a happening town at the moment. The city has all the usual city stuff to spend money on. Suburbs in the north are generally quite nice. i like the surburbs along the 'Ferny Grove' train line - so I would recommend that as a starting point for living in Brisbane. There's some OK schools around there as well - Kelvin Grove state high school, Ferny Grove state high, Marist Brothers College (catholic boys), Mt St Michaels College (catholic girls).

Going further afield, if your husband thinks Adelaide is a bit backwards then Caloundra will be really backwards. Caloundra is literally at another pace. Kids there are really into surfing and sports. Admittedly kids can also be found at night in the centre of Caloundra going to the cinemas there and then doing kids stuff - but they seem innocent and they don't hassle anyone or do anything bad. I see lots of kids ride their bikes to school and they normally try to fit in a morning surf. People are also really very friendly on the coast - it's the type of place that you talk to your neighbours, hoot your horn when you drive past, see people you know at the beach and the shops and stop to have a chat.

I would say its a place for the family and kids appear to be carefree and happy.

I think if you were to go for the SC I would suggest to go visit and I think you'll need the mindset that you'll appreciate the little things in life - a day with the family at the beach, a BBQ for dinner at the beach with the family, a free dip in the ocean on a hot day, ... and so on - but isn't that what Aussie is all about!

Guest just jo

Yes Really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not at the moment though because there are plenty about.

Thank you all for your help, its given me some very nice suburbs to check out. I apprecaite it.

Jo

Northlakes is brillant for kids we have a 12 year old and i feel safe knowing that ppl around here are friendly and are avery helpfully and there things for the kids to do in a safe environment probably helps that the inlaws are here to so we always knows where he is lol As he made 2 homes in the same subuarb lol

Guest BrisbaneReturners

hello.. we're in wishart about 5 min from the city.. garden city (huge shopping center 1 min away), buses, schools, shops, 1 hour to gold coast (or less) 1 hour to sunshine coast (or less).. lovely area.. very very child friendly..

Archived