Terrified by cost of living ? Or just worrying?

scubacam

Hi All,

I keep reading that the cost of living in Sydney is crazy. We are aiming for Sydney suburbs maybe even central coast. In the U.K. We keep hearing cost of living matches the wages over there but it's sounding really expensive.

Its got me really worried!

We are a couple with a toddler, 1 dog and 2 cats. We aren't picturing going out in the evenings cos of childcare but we are imaging needing a car too.

A friend sent me her financial breakdown and some stuff converted seems very similar but as expected food seems expensive but she said that the cost of living nowhere near matched the wages ! [emoji21][emoji21][emoji21][emoji21]

Feeling anxious!

So hard to know because I'm a school teacher and hoping to be part time and husband is plumber - salary looks great 90k but he may be on lower whilst doing his gap training. Imagining 3500 rent. Mortgage once we know where we want to be but not thinking about mortgage yet

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

How is it for employment as a teacher? Sydney would equate London prices with housing stress a major consideration. I would say you'd get by on $125,000 but review cost comparisons on line and see how you personally find it.

A lot depends on if bringing a substantial amount to Australia and intend on buying and hence mortgage or purely renting. I have friends in Sydney who bought when prices were less, several years ago, but feel 'stressed' due to fact the woman remains at home to look after their two kids and he while earning well admits they live very frugally due to costs.

If you were renting my flat here in Surry Hills you'd probably be up for about 600-700 dollars a week (one bedroom with garage) located very close to Sydney CBD itself.(10 min walk to Central station, then 1 - 3 stops on the train to Town Hall, (or Museum) Wynyard, (or (or St James, or Martin Place), Circular Quay. (There is a circle line from Central to the city plus the Eastern Suburbs line to Bondi Junction which stops at Town Hall and Martin Place).

Both my brother and his wife (late 50's) and their daughter and her fiancee (late 20's) have bought homes at Spring Farm which is a new housing estate on the outskirts of south western Sydney, (60 km from where i live so a long commute by car or bus/train from Campbelltown but they all work out that way.

I Googled "homes for rent in Spring Farm" and see that for around $500 per week there are very nice homes available - it's a new build estate so they are all almost brand new.  My niece's fiancee is a "tradie" though I"m not sure which trade - could even be a plumber! She does clerical work. They both work out that way. 

I work at Parramatta which is supposed to be the true centre of greater Sydney, 20 kilometres from Sydney itself. "Living the Dream" seems to mean living on the beach, although many people don't want to live near there, even if they are rich enough to do so.

Spring Farm is probably as good as anywhere to live and next door at Narellan they have built a big new shopping centre. I have pondered moving out that way, perhaps in a few years to be closer to my brother, although my pick would be Camden which has more of a small town rather than suburb ambience. Campbelltown might be a option too with the railway station and other facilities closer to hand.

Here's the link:

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-spring+farm,+nsw+2570/list-1

PS Renting my flat out in Surry Hils and renting in Spring Farm would have perhaps financial advantages for me although my flat needs seriously doing up. My brother did suggest I let my nephew and his girlfriend live in my flat and I move in with him but I don't think I'll do that. The spinster brother moves in? I don't like it out there, not because it's not nice but because I live on my own and i like having everything walking distance. Out there you need a car - they have one each, and adult kids need one each too. Here I've just got rid of my car and opting for renting a Go Get Car when I need one. But for all that, those homes do look nice!

Edited by MARYROSE02
I wanted to add a bit!

10 hours ago, scubacam said:

Maybe 125k lowest together? It's really hard to find out part time teacher salary

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

IIRC they are on a scale. I put 'teaching salary, NSW' into google and got this back

http://sydney.edu.au/education_social_work/future_students/careers/teacher_salaries.shtml

Its a few years old but is a starting point. 

Also found this. 

https://www.teach.nsw.edu.au/exploreteaching/salary-of-a-teacher

What do you teach? Primary, HS? What subjects if HS? There seems to be a need for maths and science teachers at HS level. Primary teachers seem oversubscribed in my reading but not really looked into Sydney much. In my state there is a huge over supply of primary teachers and just not enough jobs for them. Some of the younger ones who can't get a post or much temp work are going into nurseries and kindys to do childcare. Many teaching posts here are only for a year contract and each year they have to wait to see if they get re hired or not. Or if they can apply for the permanent posts that come up and be able to land one. 

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a look at some of the living In Australia articles which can be found in the Articles link above. There's one on childcare and another on the benefits and help you may be able to receive depending on what visa you are coming on. 

IIRC they are on a scale. I put 'teaching salary, NSW' into google and got this back
http://sydney.edu.au/education_social_work/future_students/careers/teacher_salaries.shtml
Its a few years old but is a starting point. 
Also found this. 
https://www.teach.nsw.edu.au/exploreteaching/salary-of-a-teacher
What do you teach? Primary, HS? What subjects if HS? There seems to be a need for maths and science teachers at HS level. Primary teachers seem oversubscribed in my reading but not really looked into Sydney much. In my state there is a huge over supply of primary teachers and just not enough jobs for them. Some of the younger ones who can't get a post or much temp work are going into nurseries and kindys to do childcare. Many teaching posts here are only for a year contract and each year they have to wait to see if they get re hired or not. Or if they can apply for the permanent posts that come up and be able to land one. 

Hi thanks for replying - this is the same figures I'm seeing - starting around 67k full time. I'd like to be PT first because our son is little.
I'm looking for early years so pre school or special needs where my experience is .

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

The cost of living in Sydney is horrendous driven by house prices. For a family of 3 plus the pets 90k will be a stretch. Make sure you do any calculations on post tax salary and that the salary is after Super is deducted.  Super is the term for Aussie pensions and employers have to deduct a mandatory amount of 9.5% which gets paid into your pension account . You also need to factor in child care costs if you get a job.

Why Sydney?  If your hubby is a plumber he can presumably work anywhere. It would be like an Aussie plumber moving here and setting up home in London - far cheaper to choose another city to start off