Shipping your personal belongings

LeeRogers

I have just been notified that my appilcation for a subclass 300 prospective marriage visa has been approved.  After thinking that all the red tape and confusiion was over with I come to arrange shipping my personal belongings over to Victoria.

Three day before before my items are due to be collected I am told that because this visa is a temporary one that I cannot ship Clothes!!!  or Machinery ( no idea what the term machinery means......JCB digger? Kitched blender! ? )

Has anyone else come up against this? It seems ridiculous that i can go to Oz as a visitor with a suitcase full of clothing yet when i get a visa to go and live and work there that i cannot ship my clothing with my other personal belongings.   I cannot seem to find any information online specific to this particular visa.

6 hours ago, LeeRogers said:

I have just been notified that my appilcation for a subclass 300 prospective marriage visa has been approved.  After thinking that all the red tape and confusiion was over with I come to arrange shipping my personal belongings over to Victoria.

Three day before before my items are due to be collected I am told that because this visa is a temporary one that I cannot ship Clothes!!!  or Machinery ( no idea what the term machinery means......JCB digger? Kitched blender! ? )

Has anyone else come up against this? It seems ridiculous that i can go to Oz as a visitor with a suitcase full of clothing yet when i get a visa to go and live and work there that i cannot ship my clothing with my other personal belongings.   I cannot seem to find any information online specific to this particular visa.

Its not correct, as Verystormy says. Yours is a provisional visa which eventually (all being well) leads to PR. Whatev shipper you are using is talking rubbish, and the many people (like me) who moved on PMVs will back you up. Ditch the shipper and use one who knows what they are doing. 

Your shipper sounds dodgy. Clothes are fine

Shoes and boots need to be cleaned thoroughly.

Machinery - i know trade tools are now excluded from insurance cover, as from 17 April.

At end of day, as long as you can insure your items, and they don't go against Australian import and quarantine regs, then there's no issue. For marine insurance,  use Letton Percival.

I'd be talking to other shipping firms if I were you. 

Edited by Beffers
  • Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

Lol, I'm sorry but I chuckled at this. Your shipper really has no idea and to be honest unless you have misunderstood them I would be going with someone else pretty quick. I can understand work machinery but clothes, come on they have to be pulling your leg.

Please send me the name of the shipper.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 20/05/2017 at 18:48, Lou Dower said:

Never heard of that one! We came on a temporary visa and they told us many, many things that we shouldn't bring whether for biosecurity, customs, potential high temperature in the container or other reasons but nothing about clothes!

You do realise we all walk around in the nude here. Australia is a nudist island lol

The stuff is supposed to be picked up the day after tomorrow, i have still not been able to solve this. The shippers is "PICKFORDS" 

I chose this company as they have been around for over a hundred years and is supposed to be a respected, reliable service.

I have forwarded emails from a customs broker in melbourne who has confirmed with customs that these items are not an issue yet pickfords shipping agents in London won't budge. In fact I have now been told I cant ship any power tools either!

Gimme Names guys- - who did you use?

My flight leaves the UK on 31st may - so if you see an irate pomme running naked from melbourne airport on June 1st come and lend me your hat to spare me blushes!!!

Edited by LeeRogers
typos

How much stuff are you shipping? If it could fit in a move cube then perhaps opt for that and self pack and load. 

I honestly don't get why you can't ship clothes or power tools. Other thing to look at it to sending those boxes with Seven Seas (who have the MoveCube also) and sending them on their own by sea or air and paying for them. We sent 4 tea chests via sea shipping with them and it was fine. Clothes and other stuff. 

Shipping about 200 cubic feet. After much arguing they have taken my clothes & Power tools on the understaning that any problems at the recieving end is my responsibility.

It all left here this morning.  I will let you know what happens.

So they shipped everything else without issue but argued clothes and machinery were a no go. Seems very odd.

I'd contact other shipping companies and ask them what their policy is re the PMV (give them the visa number). Just see if you'd have had the same issues or not. And then give feedback to the shipping company you are using at the end. Perhaps the branch had never had anyone moving on a PMV and did not think it would be acceptable?