Brisbane vs. Northern Beaches/Cronulla

Ozblueskies

Hi,

I am hoping to hear some opinions about my situation:

I lived in Brisbane for several years but moved back to Europe in 2012. Moved back to Sydney end of 2015 and have been working for a company in the CBD (Wynyard) since. Initially, I lived in Kirribilli and then just recently found a great rental apartment in Wollstonecraft. However, after just 3 months, I got notified that I will need to vacate as the owner wants to sell the unit ( only had a 6 month lease) so I need to find a new place to live again. To be honest, I am getting a bit frustrated renting in Sydney (quality of apartments, price, lack of certainty etc.) so I have been contemplating moving back to Brisbane lately.

My company´s heartquarters are in Brisbane so there might be an option to transfer or even work remotely from interstate - and the salary would likely be the same. So financially, it would be a no-brainer, really. I currently earn around 95k (incl. super), single, female, 40 yrs and I am managing ok paying $700 pw for a 2 bedroom apartment - although I would like to reduce my rental expenses in the future as I find them a little beyond my budget. Obviously, I haven´t lived in Brisbane for 5 yrs but from what I observe is the fact that rental prices are falling due to oversupply. It would even be feasable to buy something (obviously not possible in Sydney).  I quite enjoyed living in Brisbane, the lush/green feeling about the city, the relaxed way of life and having gorgeous beaches to go on the weekend.

I love Sydney as well but I just realize that I would probably prefer a slower pace and having more nature around me. I love living on the Lower North Shore and it´s super convenient to get into the  city - however, for what I have in mind, I pay a premium price. I am now contemplating between a move to Brisbane or to one of the beach suburbs in Sydney (Northern beaches or Cronulla... not keen on Eastern Suburbs - too crowded). I do have the option to work from home 3-4 times/ week so I could avoid the daily commute. In terms of lifestyle, I am pretty much an outdoor person: love my bushwalks, beachwalks, running etc. Not too fussed about clubs/bars but would like to have a good social scene around me with some cafes/restaurants. Also safety is an important issue. 

I am leaning more towards the Northern Beaches (particularly the Narrabeen area) - just because there seems to be more choice (various beaches, Pittwater, etc.), however, Cronulla has the big plus of having a train line and being more affordable (would look at 2 bdr apartments for a maximum of $600/650 pw). I would obviously get more bang for my bucks in Brisbane.

I would appreciate any insights from people who have lived/ are living in these areas re lifestyle, commuting, etc.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Edited by Ozblueskies
  • Like 1

Life on the northern beaches id say is pretty unique compared to the rest of Sydney! Anywhere from Mosman through to Palm Beach is beautiful, and we live in Brookvale & are looking out for rental in Collaroy & Narrabeen. Anywhere further north of Mona Vale & you're looking at least 50 mins on the bus into Wynyard. It's a nice ride though past all the beaches and the lakes & the spit bridge etc. you've always got the option of catching the ferry from Manly too, where it always feels like your on holiday. You've got an endless supply of beaches, walks, bush, amazing view points etc. I wouldn't live anywhere else! Rent isn't cheap though. The cheapest you'll find a 2 bed is probably $550/600 but it'll be old & small. $700 will get you a decent 2 bed but if you want brand new & modern or a sea view you're looking at $800+. If you need any specific advice on areas just let me know [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

On 04/05/2017 at 6:35 PM, Ozblueskies said:

Hi,

I am hoping to hear some opinions about my situation:

I quite enjoyed living in Brisbane, the lush/green feeling about the city, the relaxed way of life and having gorgeous beaches to go on the weekend.

Strangely enough mate, I get sick and tired of folk saying that they ain't no beaches in Brisbane..............there's plenty, they just don't have surf, and if you've got nippers, you don't want surf anyway.

Brizzy has so much going for it and cheaper..............more relaxed and laid back................feck the rat race and get yer @rse up here

I did live at Narrabeen on two occasions in the 1980's after my parents bought a town house on PIttwater Road between the lake and the beach. (Rosella Gardens I think).I remain nostalgic for that part of Sydney. I used to cycle around there but I'd never cycle in Surry Hills where I live now. I did not like commuting to the city on the bus which is why I moved to Surry Hills.

The advantage of Surry Hills is that it is like living at the hub of a wheel. The Eastern Suburb beaches are all at the end of relatively short "spokes" - 7 km to Bondi, Bronte, Coogee, Clovelly. Narrabeen's spoke is a lot further - 26km. My brother lives at the end of an even longer spoke, 65km to Spring Farm near Camden. The problem (if it is a problem) with Sydney is travelling from one spoke to another, e.g. Narrabeen to Camden, bus, train, bus or a long drive - 92 km (http://www.mynrma.com.au/trip-planner.htm#directions:route/Narrabeen%2C_New_South_Wales/Camden%2C_New_South_Wales)

Actually, since I've been commuting to Parramatta I've been toying with the idea of moving there and Parramatta is probably the true "hub" of Sydney, 20 minutes to Central, about 25 to Penrith? I suppose if you are working in the CBD you could consider living in Penrith if you want something relatively cheap, with all the facilities, plus handy for bushwalking in the Blue Mts and watersports on the Nepean, and the Blue Mts train takes 48 mins to Central. I previously scorned Penrith ("Westies!") but after working there for three years I grew to like it. It's even got a "High Street" just like "Home!"

Now that both my brother and his daughter are living near Camden I've been wondering about moving out that way. I like Camden a lot as it's got a small town rather than a suburb feel but it has no train and I think that is vital. Spring Farm is a new build suburb with lovely homes - my brother's would swallow up my one bedroom flat just in his living room, but I don't like those new-build estates, which, to me, are open prisons, with no public transport and no walking to shops, pubs, cafes, etc. I got the train to MacArthur on Sunday arvo, just over an hour from Central. I'm not sure if I would like to live there.

Walking distance to a station is my ideal though some suburbs have streets near to stations that become parking lots for commuters. The commute from Narrabeen in the 1980's on a "bendy bus" was actually quick - 40 mins I think - but I was having problems with anxiety about crowded buses and trains so I moved to Surry Hills to be able to walk everywhere. I checked - just under an hour now in the peak travel time.

• 16:51
    departure stop nameNarrabeen
    Walk 2min (151m)

trip leg labelShow directions

• trip leg
    bus mode
    departure time16:54
    departure stop namePittwater Rd near Waterloo St
    Narrabeen (Stop ID 210184)

L90 Palm Beach to City Wynyard (Limited stops) (Operated by State Transit Sydney)

Show 7 stops
    Adult opal cardOpal fare price$4.50
    arrival stop
    arrival time17:45
    stop nameWynyard Station, York St, Stand M, suburbSydney

I know you haven't mentioned it but have you checked out Balmain/Rozelle.

You are in the right demographic for it, on the bay, nice park, plenty of cafe's restaurants.

You should get a nice 1 bed for $500-$550 pw, 2 beds depend.  I used to have a 2 bed at $640 pw (converted warehouse type) in the heart of Balmain, walking distance to everything and 7 mins on the bus to the city (20 at peak hour)

Can't really comment on Brisbane.  Had a friend move from Brizzy to Melbourne last year (after 10 years) and he was looking forward to a bit of life again, he found Brisbane very quiet and no real night time economy. 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your posts - really helpful.

I am not really considering the inner suburbs (e.g. Balmain, Surry Hills) even though I love visiting them for a night out or go for breakfast etc. But for me personally, they are too built up - if I don´t have nature or water around me, I will get quite down. Plus the quality of apartments (compared to the rent you´re paying) is usually not good, but because there is so much competition, people are willing to pay high rents.

@ DukeNinja: I am obviously single with no kids but I personally think, the Lower North Shore is beautiful for young families, very safe, green and a relaxed vibe to it. Out of the Lower North Shore suburbs, I would probably rate Lane Cove the most family friendly. If you can afford it - go for it.

I am not too fussed about night life (clubbing, cool bars).

I think what really gets me is the fact that Sydney is just getting a bit ridiculous on the real estate front - no chance to ever buy as a first home buyer with a single income. Renting is expensive, we all know, but that aside: it´s the lack of security that really gets me: I moved into a beautifully renovated apartment in Wollstonecraft, just to be advised - after just 3 months - that my 6 month lease won´t be extended as the owner wants to sell. My previous apartment was already on the expensive side and after 12 months, my rent increased "by only 15 Dollars because you are such an excellent tenant". That´s the kind of reasoning in Sydney...

Looking at Brisbane, it definately seems to be a renter´s market (more supply than demand) and that would give me more bargaining power. I am very much an outdoorsy person so I am ok with the size of Brissie.

Even though the Northern Beaches are lovely, I think what puts me off are the high rents and probably fierce competition for good rentals which will only increase...

Looks like I can transfer to Brisbane with my company - so as much as I love certain parts of Sydney, I think, it´s time to make the move up North... For $500 I can get a nice Townhouse close to the city.

Thanks again for your replies!

Edited by Ozblueskies

Sounds like your mind is made up.  Being able to transfer in the same job and at the same money is a big positive.  The fact that you have lived there before means that you know the city and will have a bit of a social circle to reconnect with is a positive too.

Financially, it is a no brainer as you'll save about $10k on rent alone (effectively an approx. 15% payrise of your after tax income :)) - that's some nice leisure/holiday money to have around or to put towards buying somewhere (IMO rent for a year or so as I believe prices will fall a bit as a lot of supply will be hitting the market, you will have better options).

Good luck

PS - Feel I have to defend my old hood of Balmain, I hardly call it built up, very low rise and it is a peninsula so surrounded by water.  Great community around there too.

Well, I am still undecided and weighing up the pro´s and con´s...

I have to say, I do adore the Northern Beaches and having the option to work from home most of the time, I could avoid the lengthy commute. Financially, I am aware that I would be better off in Brisbane - however, should I wish to change jobs later, there are definately more opportunities in Sydney (and potential salary growth) so that´s a disadvantage on the Brisbane side...

What I will do is to go a few inspections in the Narrabeen area to get an idea of my options there - maybe I am lucky. If not, Brisbane is not a bad option either.

• 1 month later...

Ok - little update:

I actually had a look at a gorgous 1 bedroom apartment in Narrabeen a few weeks ago and I got it;) I will be moving next weekend so I am sitting in between boxes right now.

In the end, I decided to stay in Sydney for now. The combination of personal and professional reasons outweighed the reasons for leaving in the end (which, I have to admit, were only the high living costs). Brisbane will still be there in a year or two, should I get fed up with Sydney in the future.

The place in Narrabeen is lovely, a very big and modernised 1 bedroom apartment (that´s why I was happy to  compromise on the 2nd bedroom) and I even have a private backyard. The best thing though is the location: It literally takes me 1 min to walk to the beach! And I´ve got the lake on the other side. The apartment was on the more expensive side for a 1 bedroom place - however, I still pay less rent then what I am paying now.

By the way, winter is probably a good time to look for a place on the Northern Beaches - they are having trouble renting them out in winter (I have seen apartments who have been online for several weeks now).

• Like 1

Just now, Ozblueskies said:

Ok - little update:

I actually had a look at a gorgous 1 bedroom apartment in Narrabeen a few weeks ago and I got it;) I will be moving next weekend so I am sitting in between boxes right now.

In the end, I decided to stay in Sydney for now. The combination of personal and professional reasons outweighed the reasons for leaving in the end (which, I have to admit, were only the high living costs). Brisbane will still be there in a year or two, should I get fed up with Sydney in the future.

The place in Narrabeen is lovely, a very big and modernised 1 bedroom apartment (that´s why I was happy to  compromise on the 2nd bedroom) and I even have a private backyard. The best thing though is the location: It literally takes me 1 min to walk to the beach! And I´ve got the lake on the other side. The apartment was on the more expensive side for a 1 bedroom place - however, I still pay less rent then what I am paying now.

By the way, winter is probably a good time to look for a place on the Northern Beaches - they are having trouble renting them out in winter (I have seen apartments who have been online for several weeks now).

Well done on making your move. I can picture where you live because the townhouse where i lived was a couple of minutes from the beach one way and a couple of minutes the other way to the lake. 

It's funny but today a friend was moving from Redfern to Darlinghurst and I asked him what happened to his bike? He said "you can have it." It needs some work on it, new tyres, new chain, but for the first time in nearly a decade i was pushing (if not actually riding) a bike. I mentioned this because, as I said earlier, I only ever dared to ride a bike in Narrabeen.

I've not been up there since the end of February, a mega hot and sultry night when I had a late swim in Collaroy pool. I also ticked off all the bits I need to see each time I go there - beach, lake, pub, Collaroy Plateau to look at one of the best views in Sydney.

Perhaps one day we will all meet up in the pub again!

• 1 month later...

Shame I didn't see this thread earlier as we have been in Cronulla the last two years and it's a true gem in Sydney IMO.

We pay $500 for a big two bed apartment, right on the train line a minute from the beach. We are moving back to the UK for family reasons but if your looking for value for money in Sydney look at Cronulla.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz