4 hours ago, TDW said:

Congrats Eddy! 

Reading your signature we are in kind of a very similar situation. Just wanted to ask, did you get a LEV A contract for 2 years or more than 2 years? My PI can only commit to a two years contract at the moment and we were warned by the University HR that it could cause rejection for DHA.

Hi there,

Good luck for your application! From your date of application, I can tell it will be a long process but hope this forum will help you out through hard times.

When I applied, I indeed negotiated for a longer contract and was fortunate to get a long 2year 7month contract at level A.

This was indeed an advice from the HR department. However, since you have a 2 year contract, I think your application is quite solid. One advice that I read some time ago is to also upload a letter from your PI stating that he intends to hire you beyond the contract as long as there is grant money. And to explain that in academia level A employees are mostly on soft money and long contracts are very rare. This may strengthen your case a bit. I see no harm trying this.

Hope this helped.

• Congratulations 1

Silent reader.

My visa was granted last night on 11/12/2017. The nomination was approved on 8/12/2018

Can someone please update my entry on the spreadsheet:

Name: TT

Direct entry, Software Developer

Nom & Visa application submitted on 7/2/2018

Wish everyone the best 😀

• Congratulations 14

5 hours ago, Kashif.Iqbal said:

Any one got grant from April?

Your very unlikely to see anything this side of the year mate. 

Looks to be a big focus on processing applications from feb early March.

The big change meant a mass influx of applicants later feb early March hence the delay in processing.

have a great Christmas and forget it till after Christmas your only wasting your time if you think you will see it this side of the year. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kashif.Iqbal said:

I don't know, why Restaurant Manager occupation taking more time than others.

Seen as a high risk occupation. More scrutiny on these applications by the department.

Due to this, on average, you can expect longer processing times than other occupations.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pottsie said:

While I only lodged in Feb I cant help but feel anxious and frustrated at the wait 

Hopefully not much longer to wait.

Throughout Dec/Jan/Feb they should (again hopefully) get through the majority of applications from Feb18.

Edited by boo-yaa

Crazy that there was a few people getting there VISA's in March, when there's still many in Jan  / Feb waiting.

Makes me think, that on the TRT streams at least, with cases where there has been a previous nomination for the same occupation, in the same company, this can help stream line the process for the Department. 

My friend got his 186 TRT last month, applied in Feb, Nomination and VISA approved in the same day, the previous month, his friend after a longer wait got his 186 TRT in the same company, in the same position. Just a thought....

7 minutes ago, Whites.uk said:

Crazy that there was a few people getting there VISA's in March, when there's still many in Jan  / Feb waiting.

Makes me think, that on the TRT streams at least, with cases where there has been a previous nomination for the same occupation, in the same company, this can help stream line the process for the Department. 

My friend got his 186 TRT last month, applied in Feb, Nomination and VISA approved in the same day, the previous month, his friend after a longer wait got his 186 TRT in the same company, in the same position. Just a thought....

I agree, I have a few mates who worked for an engineering firm in town as fitters, boiley's and scaffies etc. This company has heaps of 457 workers and they all got there PR in quick time.  My company is power generation with a turn over of multi millions here and in America and Canada have a low 457 work force and will prob wait a while

3 minutes ago, Whites.uk said:

Like all of us here, I would love to understand the logic/pattern but am afraid there isn't really any and we have to accept that it's a fairly random process overall!

I may be a very strange case and immigration may have something against me personally but here's why I don't think there's a real pattern:

- I applied for PR over a year ago from a LR country, with a job on the skilled list which I've been doing for over 7 years, as 1 applicant and sponsored by a company which has had 100% successful PR applications before and even after mine - somehow my nomination got rejected in February 2018 due to a couple of missing document (incl. an org chart, which doesn't even make sense in my profession where we don't actually report to anyone...) - I heard people saying that most rejected PRs concern HR countries, jobs not on the list and/or multiple applicants on 1 application but I'm proof that it's not always true

- My employer has been sponsoring up to 4-5 PRs per year for over 5 years as they really struggle to retain Australians and need immigrants to survive (they exclusively hire Australians and Kiwis as junior consultants but they tend to leave to get an MBA, don't come back so they need immigrants to fill in for the more senior positions in the firm) - 2 of my colleagues who applied in January 2018 got their PRs as follows: 1 was from a LR country and he got his PR in May (after 4 months) and the other is from a HR country, applied with her husband (who didn't have a visa) and got her PR in August (after 7 months)... Clearly immigration doesn't have issues with my employer but for some reason, I've gotten a rejection and have been waiting for close to 9 months since my second application now...

Don't know if this helps in any way but the key message here is to not expect an outcome at a certain time based on a logical pattern which may not exist, just hope for the best and be very patient! 🙂

I sincerely hope that we'll all hear good news very soon! 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, CharlotteR said:

Like all of us here, I would love to understand the logic/pattern but am afraid there isn't really any and we have to accept that it's a fairly random process overall!

I may be a very strange case and immigration may have something against me personally but here's why I don't think there's a real pattern:

- I applied for PR over a year ago from a LR country, with a job on the skilled list which I've been doing for over 7 years, as 1 applicant and sponsored by a company which has had 100% successful PR applications before and even after mine - somehow my nomination got rejected in February 2018 due to a couple of missing document (incl. an org chart, which doesn't even make sense in my profession where we don't actually report to anyone...) - I heard people saying that most rejected PRs concern HR countries, jobs not on the list and/or multiple applicants on 1 application but I'm proof that it's not always true

- My employer has been sponsoring up to 4-5 PRs per year for over 5 years as they really struggle to retain Australians and need immigrants to survive (they exclusively hire Australians and Kiwis as junior consultants but they tend to leave to get an MBA, don't come back so they need immigrants to fill in for the more senior positions in the firm) - 2 of my colleagues who applied in January 2018 got their PRs as follows: 1 was from a LR country and he got his PR in May (after 4 months) and the other is from a HR country, applied with her husband (who didn't have a visa) and got her PR in August (after 7 months)... Clearly immigration doesn't have issues with my employer but for some reason, I've gotten a rejection and have been waiting for close to 9 months since my second application now...

Don't know if this helps in any way but the key message here is to not expect an outcome at a certain time based on a logical pattern which may not exist, just hope for the best and be very patient! 🙂

On what grounds did you get a rejection?

4 minutes ago, Whites.uk said:

On what grounds did you get a rejection?

Immigration apparently wasn't convinced that my company needed me (which is strange as they'd been accepting PRs for colleagues of mine for years and accepted another 2 this year) - they claimed that they were missing some proof and gave the org chart as an example. They wanted to see which position had been vacant for a while and how I was the only one who could fill that vacancy. This is actually very strange as there are no org charts in consulting (the more staff we have the more work we can sell so the more work we have...) and they had never requested this type of document in the past...

Instead of requesting this "missing document", they rejected the nomination and I had to start from scratch...

5 minutes ago, CharlotteR said:

Immigration apparently wasn't convinced that my company needed me (which is strange as they'd been accepting PRs for colleagues of mine for years and accepted another 2 this year) - they claimed that they were missing some proof and gave the org chart as an example. They wanted to see which position had been vacant for a while and how I was the only one who could fill that vacancy. This is actually very strange as there are no org charts in consulting (the more staff we have the more work we can sell so the more work we have...) and they had never requested this type of document in the past...

Instead of requesting this "missing document", they rejected the nomination and I had to start from scratch...

That's so rough, I've got a friend who's been contesting her rejection from a 417 WHV to 457 for over 2 years now... 

Fortunately, an org chart was included with my nomination, I've read of a lot rejections because this is missing. 

Hope you're more lucky second time round! 

3 minutes ago, CharlotteR said:

How absurd and unfair. Really makes me wonder what goes on in there. I just can't believe they just dump you like that. ' Oh we don't have all the info we need to make a decision, we could easily ask for it, orrrr we could just keep numbers and wait times lower and just reject' Maybe the CO had a bad day. 😡

Did you supply a letter stating genuine need for you in your position? And did you use an MA? 

Did you appeal and reapply at same time?

3 minutes ago, maria8999 said:

How absurd and unfair. Really makes me wonder what goes on in there. I just can't believe they just dump you like that. ' Oh we don't have all the info we need to make a decision, we could easily ask for it, orrrr we could just keep numbers and wait times lower and just reject' Maybe the CO had a bad day. 😡

Did you supply a letter stating genuine need for you in your position? And did you use an MA? 

@maria8999It gets worse... 

I have heard that next year March, they'll be amending the immigration law, allowing CO's to reject cases based off missing information.
- Meaning, they don't even need to request additional / missing data. If it's not there - they will have the power to simply reject the application. 

It's in an attempt to being queuing down and help with processing times.
- There's obviously massive issues with this approach, especially for people who are doing it themselves. 

Regardless, I heard about this about a month ago and can't find the article on same now, but it's definitely something in the making - my MA confirmed the same, a while back. 
- I'd love to hear from anyone that has heard the same and has the articles of same.

I think we can be lucky to already be in the system, as i'm sure there will be leaniansy on those who've already appplied. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, maria8999 said:

Yes my employer supplied a letter stating genuine need for me in that position, I had 6 years of experience at that position with the same firm in France (transferred to the Sydney office, namely because they desperately needed people with my skills and level of experience).

I have an MA which my employer chose from one of the big 4 companies.

I was told by the MA that I could either appeal or reapply but not do both at the same time. He also told me that with appealing it can take up to 2 years to get an answer. And it doesn’t guarantee a PR... I had 5 days to make a decision and pay approx. $5,000 all over again for the second application. My company helped me out because they felt partly responsible and I just didn’t have that kind of money at the time...

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, CharlotteR said:

I`m feeling the same with you.

Just like you, my first nomination got refused in Feb 2018 which applied in Nov 2017.

It`s amazing that only take 3 months to get a CO even my occupation has removed from the list since 457 reform in Apr 2017.

They just rejected me on genuine need and org chart.

So it`s really hard to admit they have a pattern.

17 hours ago, Eddy101 said:

One advice that I read some time ago is to also upload a letter from your PI stating that he intends to hire you beyond the contract as long as there is grant money. And to explain that in academia level A employees are mostly on soft money and long contracts are very rare. This may strengthen your case a bit. I see no harm trying this.

Hi Eddy, do you know where can I get an example of such letter? I would like to ask my supervisor to sign it for me as well.

7 minutes ago, Hex said:

I have heard that next year March, they'll be amending the immigration law, allowing CO's to reject cases based off missing information.
- Meaning, they don't even need to request additional / missing data. If it's not there - they will have the power to simply reject the application. 

- There's obviously massive issues with this approach, especially for people who are doing it themselves. 

Regardless, I heard about this about a month ago and can't find the article on same now, but it's definitely something in the making - my MA confirmed the same, a while back. 
- I'd love to hear from anyone that has heard the same and has the articles of same.

I think we can be lucky to already be in the system, as i'm sure there will be leaniansy on those who've already appplied. 

This is also a great way to get more money from future applicants who will have to apply multiple times and renew police checks, medicals, etc, who cares if they can’t afford it. It’s so sad...

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Hex said:

They don`t need wait for March 2019, they already reject people without asking more information in 2018.

I got rejected in Feb 2018 and in the refusal letter just quoted with some laws that explain why they can reject me without  asking for more details.

4 minutes ago, qfmouse said:

They don`t need wait for March 2019, they already reject people without asking more information in 2018.

I got rejected in Feb 2018 and in the refusal letter just quoted with some laws that explain why they can reject me without  asking for more details.

They can reject the nomination straight away - based on missing information without any contact.
With the Visa - they normally request missing/outdated documents. 

I think @Hex may be referring to the Visa part  ??

Edited by boo-yaa
  • Like 1