Medicals, diabetes and 189

Guest chrischatt

Guest chrischatt

Hi all. I don't know if anyone is able to help and I realise variations on this topic have been raised before, but any advice gratefully received. We are preparing a 189 visa submission and virtually everything is in place and looking good. The fly in the ointment is that my wife has Type 1 diabetes. Whilst her sugar levels are ok, and have improved significantly in the last two years following a change in insulin, we are very concerned about how a MOC will view this situation. She has no complications or end-organ damage, but we have received advice that a strict interpretation of the regulations would result in rejection as the cost of medications alone is above the threshold. However, there appear to be a number of people in this situation who have been successful. This is a real dilemma and everywhere we turn provides conflicting advice. Any suggestions or thoughts gratefully received as we don't want to throw money away on a doomed application. Many thanks. 

Hi @chrischatt

We approached a medical practitioner called Dr Martha Baz.  She provided a comprehensive pre-visa assessment of our situation so that we could have an idea of whether or not it was worth going ahead.  Obviously, there is a fee but we felt that it was money well spent, given the alternative.  She was really helpful.

I'm assuming that it's ok to post a link.   http://www.visamedic.com/index.htm

I hope that all goes well for you!

Edited by Hopeful Mum

• 1 month later...

I'd be interested to gain more information on this ... I am now worried, I am applying for 189 and towards end stages now, I have my medical booked in for 16th May, I am also a type 1 diabetic have been since 7 years, I am well controlled and have no problems in relation to this, my visa advisor doesn't feel there should be any problem with me having type 1 diabetes and being granted the visa .... ? 

AFAIK, there is an algorithm and if medical costs over x-years costs more than y then you're at risk of refusal and then have to fight your case.  With permanent conditions, y could be extended to life-time.  I think getting pro advice would be money well spent as their will be strategies in mitigation

• 9 months later...

Hi There,

I'm in a similar situation as ChrisChatt and JoleneSW93 described above. I am a Type 2 Diabetic for last 12 years and have good control with oral medications and insulin. Like situation ChrisChatt described, I believe just the cost of medications would exceed Threshold value of AUD 40K based on MOC assessment. I would greatly appreciate if any of you can share your experience as we are just about to get our PR application lodged (within a week). Looking forward to any of your advise as you guys were in similar situation last year.

Thanks

Guest chrischatt

We submitted our application, had the Medicals and provided additional documents from our consultant. We honestly expected further communication from a MOC but heard nothing at all until we were granted the visa a few months later. We arrived in Oz a month ago and are loving every single minute. All I can suggest is to prepare as much supporting evidence of good control, speak to your consultant about your plans because they may need to provide a letter and go for it!!

• 7 months later...

Lots of people get visa's with Diabetes, my friend is insulin dependent and was the primary applicant for their visa.  To not that medications aren't free here in Aus  and you will need to purchase test strips etc., yourself.

Provide as much information as you can at your medical - a letter from your consultant/Dr detailing your treatment and prognosis.

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

You will need your own tests done, someone else's results are totally irrelevant to your own medical condition!

Hi

i just wanted to use it as reference, unless there is a clear established rules, is there a threshold which MOC looks for, how do they evaluate?

regards

9 hours ago, ali said:

Lots of people get visa's with Diabetes, my friend is insulin dependent and was the primary applicant for their visa.  To not that medications aren't free here in Aus  and you will need to purchase test strips etc., yourself.

Provide as much information as you can at your medical - a letter from your consultant/Dr detailing your treatment and prognosis.

Thanks Ali, very much appreciated, this is what we plan to do, a letter fro, Doc, stating that it is stable, no damagw to organs, etc...