Advice on changing from a Contributory Parent Visa 143 to a Parent Visa (subclass 103)

gypsy10

Hi there,

We applied for a Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143) in December 2015. Recently we have been toying with the idea of changing our application to a Parent Visa (subclass 103).

I'm not sure what the consequences would be or even if it's possible. Has anyone done this before? If so do you have any advice you can share?

Are there any people people out there whose parents are here on a 103? If so are there any restraints they have had to face?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

You can't apply onshore for this visa unless you have a visa already which allows that, so they would presumably be on a tourist visa and if that has 'no further stay' in it, then no, they couldn't live here whilst waiting for it.

You can apply for this visa outside Australia. If you are in Australia, you can apply only if your temporary visa lets you apply for another visa while you are in Australia. You must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Hmmmmm...I'm thinking it might be best to stick at it and wait for the 143 to be granted(fingers crossed).

I wonder if this new bridging visa due to come out in July will allow them to come and temporarily stay here while they are waiting for their 143 to be granted?

Hmmmmm...I'm thinking it might be best to stick at it and wait for the 143 to be granted(fingers crossed).

I wonder if this new bridging visa due to come out in July will allow them to come and temporarily stay here while they are waiting for their 143 to be granted?

Its not a bridging visa, if it comes in it will be a tourist-type visa aimed at parents, that allows a longer stay than usual.

Hi there,

We applied for a Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143) in December 2015. Recently we have been toying with the idea of changing our application to a Parent Visa (subclass 103).

I'm not sure what the consequences would be or even if it's possible. Has anyone done this before? If so do you have any advice you can share?

Are there any people people out there whose parents are here on a 103? If so are there any restraints they have had to face?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

Hi Gypsy

We changed visas applications the other way round - swapped a 103 application for a 143. This is more usual because people do it to speed up the waiting time. The thing that nobody has mentioned is that if you change your application, you have to pay the first visa application charge again, which is yet more expense.

I think the wait is less than thirty years, but that is the length of time they tell you to be prepared to wait ... Our queue date was 2013 and I since our visa was issued I have checked a couple of time out of curiosity to see where we would have been in the other queue by now. At the rate we were moving last time I looked, we would have had an overall wait of about nine years ... But nine years is still a long time!!!!

I'd stay put if I were you.

The only visas which would allow your parents to live in Australia while waiting would be the Contributory Aged Parent Visa 864 or the onshore equivalent of the 103, the 804 but one of them would have to be over 65 to apply for this.

Some parents come for a visit on a visitor visa shortly before their visa is granted and then go offshore to Bali or New Zealand for example while the visa is granted.

Thanks Nemesis. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Feel able to send an email to me - click on my name to the left of this post - and I can add your details to our database of people who are interested in the temporary parent visa, and to whom we will be sending information once the Government publishes details.

Best regards.