if i come back

jgt

just a quick one ,im on a 176 skilled migrant and permanent resident. Our savings have nearly run out and we have to go back to blighty .

Does anyone know how long we have before we have to reapply. We qualify for citizenship this October but simply cant afford to hang on, shame i know.

Is it 5 years ? All help appreciated.

just a quick one ,im on a 176 skilled migrant and permanent resident. Our savings have nearly run out and we have to go back to blighty .

Does anyone know how long we have before we have to reapply. We qualify for citizenship this October but simply cant afford to hang on, shame i know.

Is it 5 years ? All help appreciated.

are you not working? Can you take a loan to last you till October? It may be cheaper to do this rather than reapply. Is there any spending you can reduce?

im in construction its dead. It took me 10 years to get here so its not been taken lightly about going back. Its so bad that if we leave it any longer we wont have the air fare.

Very worrying, iv been offered lots of work back in the UK so hoping to save up and come back later

Guest The Pom Queen

I am very sorry to hear this. Have you thought of trying another state, even if it means you moving over first to get some money coming in.

I'm presuming you are thinking of a Resident Return Visa (RRV)

Here is some info which may help

You cannot apply for this visa if:

• You were issued one of the following documents which still remains valid today:
    • an Authority To Return (ATR) between 1 March 1976 and 30 October 1979, or
    • a Return Endorsement (RE) between 1 November 1979 and 31 December 1986.

These documents should still be valid today if:

• they have not been cancelled
    • they have not been ceased by the grant of another visa since 1 September 1994
    • you have returned to Australia within three years of each departure
    • you have not become an Australian Citizen.

[*]You have been sent a notice regarding the possible cancellation of your most recent permanent visa under section 134 of the Act and no cancellation decision has yet been taken.

[*]Your most recent permanent visa was cancelled under section 134 of the Act and the cancellation decision has not been set aside by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

You might be able to be granted this visa if you are:

• an Australian permanent resident
  • a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.

A 'former Australian permanent resident' includes anyone who was recognised as a permanent resident of Australia under the migration arrangements that applied at the time they were in Australia.

Subclass 155 Resident Return visa

You might be able to be granted this visa if you:

• have spent a period totalling two years in the last five years in Australia as either an Australian permanent resident or citizen (the 'residence requirement').
  • have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but can satisfy the processing officer that you have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia, and:
    • are lodging while in Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;
    • are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen when you last departed Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;
    • are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen in the last 10 years and can show compelling reasons for absence(s) over five years;

[*]have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but are members of the family unit of a person who holds a subclass 155 visa, or who has also applied for a Resident Return visa and satisfies criteria for grant.

[h=4]Requirements for substantial ties of benefit to Australia[/h]Business ties: If you are claiming business ties with Australia, you will need to provide proof of the ties and how they are of benefit to Australia. You will need to show that you have substantial ownership interests in the business and are personally involved at a senior level in the day-to-day operations and management of the business. The business activity needs to be ongoing, regular activity that is commercial in nature, has an intention to make a profit and has a system of record keeping and management that substantiates the business activity claimed.

Cultural ties: There are a range of intellectual, artistic, sporting or religious pursuits which are not strictly of a business or employment nature but could be considered to be a cultural tie to Australia. In many cases it is likely that the reasons claimed as cultural ties would be consistent with the basis for the grant of your original permanent visa. If you are claiming cultural ties, you will need to provide proof your role is adding to Australia's cultural life. This can include publications you have written, your membership of cultural associations, any media articles about you or proof of your performances.

Employment ties: To prove you have employment ties to Australia, you must show that you are currently employed, or have a formal offer of employment in Australia, or are employed overseas by an Australian organisation, or are able to show that your employment by a non-Australian organisation has a demonstrable benefit to Australia, for example, working as a representative of Australia for an international organisation.

Personal ties: Substantial personal ties could be of benefit to Australia if you are, or have been, a participating member of the Australian community and economy. Living in Australia for a substantial period of time or living overseas with an Australian citizen partner is taken into account. Proof of personal assets or family who live in Australia could also help to demonstrate personal ties if you are able to show they are both substantial and of benefit to Australia.

Subclass 157 Resident Return visa

You might be able to be granted this visa if you:

• have lawfully spent at least one day in the past five years in Australia
  • have spent less than two years in the past five years in Australia
  • have been a permanent resident or an Australian citizen for the entire period spent in Australia
  • can show a compelling and compassionate reason for having to leave Australia or, if you are outside Australia, for leaving when you did

If you have been living outside Australia for more than three continuous months immediately before applying, you must also show that you were absent for a compelling and compassionate reason.

Travel facility

If you have lived in Australia for at least two years of the past five years and are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa it will have a five year travel facility from date of grant.

If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa on the basis of your substantial ties of benefit to Australia, then your travel facility will be for a year from the date of the grant.

If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa because you are members of the family unit of a person who holds a Subclass 155, or who has also applied for Resident Return Visa and satisfies criteria for grant, then your travel facility will be for either a year or less than a year from date of grant.

If you are granted a Subclass 157 visa the travel facility will be for 3 months from date of grant.

Is there no work out there? I know the construction industry is bad but for short term id take any job, warehouse/retail, anything. The wages will be less but balanced against the cost of moving back to the uk and then back again in the future it's worth looking at. Moving to a different state has been mentioned and again worth looking at. Best of luck, it's sad when you've planned this for so long, try and find a way to see it out even if it's in jobs you don't like

I can sympathise. I was out of work in WA for a long time and the main reason we returned was because of that. We were in the same boat as you, though if we hadn't sold everything, we wouldn't have even had the flight money. I had applied for every job that I might even have a faint chance of getting - everything from macas and hungry jacks upward for a year and only managed two interviews in that time. Nearly got one of them, but pipped at the post when it came down to two of us.

We landed back with nothing. But, it has worked out. Things aren't perfect, but good. There is plenty of work about and we have a good life, though there are things I want to change including career as I am finding I am getting to long in the tooth for what I do, but that would have been the same in either country.

If you need any tips from someone who has been there, just shout.

I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling, I know a few doing it tough in Perth. I had to move East to get work in my field on the end, so I do understand how bloody scary it is. Firstly, are you getting all the help you can from Centrelink, times like these are what it is for. Secondly, could you move East if you can secure some work, maybe even on your own (I know that not a nice thought to be parted from family) and maybe just get a room share and live cheap so your family can survive in Perth, or they could join you at a later date? Does your partner work? I wouldn't normally recommend splitting a family apart, but lots do.

i never thought I would live anywhere else but Perth when I migrated but needs must, and slowly I'm appreciating where I am more and more.

If the decision is to return to the UK, then you should have no issues with getting a RRV with the current rules.

I wish you all the best with your decision