Childcare centre manager, student visa, graduate visa- 189??

jack13

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ok thank you all for your insight into this. And yes I am well aware of what rural Australia is like I've been here on and off for three years and spent a lot of time in rural Vic. I currently do and have been for the past three and a half years been spending six months in the UK and six months over here, going from summer to summer. I'm lucky as my UK job pays well and allows me a lot of time off meaning I can not work and enjoy life here. I will continue doing this until I feel I've had enough. I thourght about doing a two year business course to stay but then id have to work and stay through winter. And its bloody expensive. Tbh I miss family and friends terribly when I leave so maybe all year round isn't such a good option. And I hate winter. I love my life and my job currently, so why change anything. Thanks for all your help.

Yes ok thank you all for your insight into this. And yes I am well aware of what rural Australia is like I've been here on and off for three years and spent a lot of time in rural Vic. I currently do and have been for the past three and a half years been spending six months in the UK and six months over here, going from summer to summer. I'm lucky as my UK job pays well and allows me a lot of time off meaning I can not work and enjoy life here. I will continue doing this until I feel I've had enough. I thourght about doing a two year business course to stay but then id have to work and stay through winter. And its bloody expensive. Tbh I miss family and friends terribly when I leave so maybe all year round isn't such a good option. And I hate winter. I love my life and my job currently, so why change anything. Thanks for all your help.

We all have our own idea of what a well paid job is & it's relative to our commitments, mortgage, car loans etc. but child care even at management level isn't generally well paid so if you can currently take 6 months holiday a year I would stay with what you are doing.

I used to work with children very many years ago and lately started to think about maybe moving back to something for rewarding - I'd need to do two years at college & then would earn around maybe £20k a year - at first anyway. I currently earn 4 or 5 times that and I realised it was just madness - I may as well work hard for the the next 5 years, retire at 55 and then do worthwhile voluntary work, rather then end up having to work until I'm 70, even if it is in something more worthwhile.

Have you considered southern Europe - okay it's not as hot in winter as an Australian summer but it may give you a more consistent lifestyle and family & friends aren't so far away.

Can I just say that I find it disturbing that I can't find a single post on this thread discussing the joy of working with small children. i think that childcare would be the worst job in the world for someone who didn't have a genuine wish to work in that field. Trying to zoom straight into management of an ECC without a decent amount of experience is a recipe for personal disaster. Forget about the visa for a minute, and ask yourself how you are going to cope with all that responsibility, particularly when a member of staff thinks they know better than you and starts trying to tell you how to do the job? What are you going to say when parents ask what your qualifications are? When there's an emergency and you can't ask for help from the boss because you are the boss? Being promoted too early is seriously bad for your self esteem and confidence and makes for poor leadership. Why not take your time, do your training, get some experience and then apply for management roles, knowing that you are bringing knowledge and understanding to the table and not just an ardent desire to get a visa. If you do it the right way, you will have a job that will bring you such pleasure, and give you a working day that is never ever predictable. Good luck.

Edited by Fisher1

No they shouldn't. They should go to the best person.

No it shouldn't. It should go to the local woth the appropriate qualifications to do the job. And in any case, with a diploma and no work experience you are never likely to be the best qualified person.

I looked at this route into Australia. I had two out of three agents tell me the same as you. The third agent told me no, you need either a degree or five years post qualification experience. That was enough for me to do my own homework. I contacted TRA (who were very helpful) who told me that to pass a skills assessment with them you need either a degree, or five years experience running a childcare centre with at least 20 children.

I went back to the two agents who told me that was a route to PR. One said they would look into it and never came back to me. The other said that the TRA were wrong, they have contacts bla bla bla. Basically all they wanted was my business. They couldn't care less if I was going to get PR later. I'll always be grateful to the one who actually told me the truth.

Even if by some miracle you found a childcare centre who would rather give the job to newly qualified diploma holder, rather than promoting one of their already trained, and known staff (as the training centres are not regional, so you won't have worked there while studying). Even if by some miracle that happens, your graduate visa isn't going to last five years.

You'd be best off talking to a GOOD agent about if a 457 might be an option, IF you found an employer.

I came over on a student visa in the end. It was far harder than I expected to find an employer to sponsor me. I know lots of people who had to leave the country because they couldn't. There are some jobs which are easier than others. You are heading for failure with childcare coordinator.

Thank goodness somebody with personal experience to confirm what OP was told pages ago!

Surely on a 457 you wouldn't pass the skill assessment five years is needed? Or a degree? I chose Australia because I like not having a winter going from summer to summer for six months. Yes I'm good with kids , when they're seen and not heard lol.

Edited by jax

Surely on a 457 you wouldn't pass the skill assessment five years is needed? Or a degree? I chose Australia because I like not having a winter going from summer to summer for six months. Yes I'm good with kids , when they're seen and not heard lol.

Thanks for wasting all of our time. Clearly you have no real interest in children, the job or really Australia. Go to southern Europe if it's just warmer winters you want.

jax I realise that your reply is tongue in cheek and obviously you must have some interest and skill in looking after small children, but I still think you are biting off more than you may be able to chew if you try to get into management without a decent experience of managing an ECC. Still you've had plenty of advice from people on here, it's up to you now.

What do you mean "surely on a 457"? When was this thread ever about getting a 457 visa?

Anyway it is true that the assessment criteria for a 457 is not always as rigorous as for a permanent visa. However there is the small matter of satisfying an employer that you are the best person for a job and worth sponsoring. And as said, this could be hard for a diploma holder with no experience, no particular interest in children and somebody who just wants to flit about the world every six months in order to avoid winter!