Medicals and under active thyroid concern

Kayleighplummer

Hi all,

This is my first post on here so please bare with me.im also a little worried that I will get ridiculed as it's a weight question, but here it goes!

Me and my OH have just had our EOI(expression of interest) accepted for PR in oz and will be invited for our medicals. This is where I'm getting concerned as I have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid and am still undergoing tests to get the right dosage. Not only this but I am classed BMI as obese (potentially due to thyroid problem and loving naughty food!)

I don't suffer from anything else relating to obesity such as heart problems or diabetes etc.

Does anyone know if this will stop me getting accepted or any advise on what to do or take with me to the medical would be much appreciated?!

Thanks in advance!

Kayleigh

If you have a doctors letter to take with you to the medical re the thyroid it would be nice but I'd not panic overly about it. If you are under a consultant or doctors care for it, ask them to perhaps draw up something.

Just be honest when asked the questions during the medical, tell them what you know and they'll tap away at their keyboard a while.

FWIW, chances are your medical will be referred as a matter of course due to your BMI if classed as obese. The thyroid issue may well be looked at more then too and they may request more info then.

I don't know how much the drugs and treatment cost in Aus for thyroid issues but hopefully its well within the financial limit they set for visa applicants.

Hi all,

This is my first post on here so please bare with me.im also a little worried that I will get ridiculed as it's a weight question, but here it goes!

Me and my OH have just had our EOI(expression of interest) accepted for PR in oz and will be invited for our medicals. This is where I'm getting concerned as I have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid and am still undergoing tests to get the right dosage. Not only this but I am classed BMI as obese (potentially due to thyroid problem and loving naughty food!)

I don't suffer from anything else relating to obesity such as heart problems or diabetes etc.

Does anyone know if this will stop me getting accepted or any advise on what to do or take with me to the medical would be much appreciated?!

Thanks in advance!

Kayleigh

Australia does not turn people down for a visa because they are overweight. Your medical may get referred, this just means a medically qualified person will look at it as opposed to it getting a rubber stamp immediately. Many medicals are referred, so don't worry about it. I also often suggest people with medical issues consult an agent, but to be honest this is barely an issue.

Thank you everyone for your advice! It's definitely made me feel better about this I'm going to get some documents from my GP to take with me.

Prior to our medicals, the panel Dr said if we had any conditions to bring information on: what the condition was, what tests/investigations or treatments and what the prognosis was. Both my son and I had undergone renal investigations - mine somewhat more intensively but both our consultants wrote a letter stating what they'd done, that no treatment was necessary and that it didn't hinder or effect us in anyway.

Hi Kayleighplummer,

I have an under active thyroid and had a medical back in April 2016 and passed with no issues. I took along my Levothryroxine tablets to show the doctor but they didn't even ask to look at them.

Obviously each case is individual but my understanding is that as long as you have been prescribed medication which is controlling the condition and their are no other further complicating medical conditions that it is not a concern. As another poster mentioned the medication required to correct the thyroid is low cost.

kmrg

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Kayleigh