Is an agent (if used) needed for the EOI or is it mainly for the visa application ?

potluck

Hello I have recently started thinking about moving to Australia on a skilled visa 189 or 190. My trade is on both lists. I will admit I have not done tons of research on the subject (don't bite my head off) But I am basically just testing the waters. My intentions are to send an EOI and then see what happens. If i got invited then I was going to look into an agent. It's my understanding that the eoi is pretty straight forward, but the application itself is a bit trickier?

As I have not done much research I thought I'd see what an agent could offer, but they want to charge me their whole 2300 fee before my eoi is submitted?

Is this agent just trying to lock me into spending loads of money with them for the sake of it, or is the EOI actually the bit that you need an agent for? I feel that spending 2300 for the eoi is a bit rubbish considering that I may never get invited at all?? I was assuming the fee would have come at the end of the actual visa application or atleast only half of it paid for the eoi submitting.

Like I have said please don't bite my head off, I basically just wanted to get an EOI out there and see what happened with it. If I get invited it's great, if I don't then I'm not going to die. But I'm not sure I fancy losing 2300 extra if i don't need to? Some views on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm 27 years old. I am currently sitting my IELTS. I have not had a skill assessment done yet, I read different things on the topic so I'm not sure what to believe. I have a nvq3 and an advanced diploma in my trade. I thought the qualifications would transfer over but I've read I may need to actually do tests to prove it? I'm assuming an agent would be useful for this part? Alot of people say that the agents don't really do any work and that you have to do it all anyway so they regret using one.

We have used an agent and found them incredibly helpful. They ensured we had all the evidence for the visa before submitting the EOI. They also sent off the visa within 48hours of gaining our invite. They really made the process stress free and I thought they were really worth the money.

the skill on the list is "machinist (first class)" . I am a cnc Turner

assessing authority is the TRA (trades recognition Australia) you will need a positive skills assessment from them to submit an EOI. Read the guidelines submit your evidence and you should be fine. 30 points for your age.

If you are going to use an agent (something I am a believer in) then it is good to use from the very start.

It it is at the start that many people make mistakes / have problems.

If if you meet the criteria, you will get an invite - it isn't like the USA where it is more of a lottery, basically, if you meet the criteria and jump through the required hoops such as obtaining a positive skills assessment before the eoi, you will get a visa. But there are a number of pitfalls, for example, over claim a single point and you can be refused and lose the fee. An expensive mistake.

Hello I have recently started thinking about moving to Australia on a skilled visa 189 or 190. My trade is on both lists. I will admit I have not done tons of research on the subject (don't bite my head off) But I am basically just testing the waters. My intentions are to send an EOI and then see what happens. If i got invited then I was going to look into an agent. It's my understanding that the eoi is pretty straight forward, but the application itself is a bit trickier?

As I have not done much research I thought I'd see what an agent could offer, but they want to charge me their whole 2300 fee before my eoi is submitted?

Is this agent just trying to lock me into spending loads of money with them for the sake of it, or is the EOI actually the bit that you need an agent for? I feel that spending 2300 for the eoi is a bit rubbish considering that I may never get invited at all?? I was assuming the fee would have come at the end of the actual visa application or atleast only half of it paid for the eoi submitting.

Like I have said please don't bite my head off, I basically just wanted to get an EOI out there and see what happened with it. If I get invited it's great, if I don't then I'm not going to die. But I'm not sure I fancy losing 2300 extra if i don't need to? Some views on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Getting the EOI wrong is where it could all go wrong.

Indeed sending of an EOI at the wrong time is asking for trouble and will lead to a visa refusal.

You do not just send off an EOI to see what happens. There are steps that need to be carried out first and it is critical to get the EaoI exactly right.

Getting the EOI wrong is where it could all go wrong.

Indeed sending of an EOI at the wrong time is asking for trouble and will lead to a visa refusal.

You do not just send off an EOI to see what happens. There are steps that need to be carried out first and it is critical to get the EaoI exactly right.

Agree, I did an agent check before EOI submission.

Utterly cheap for this in comparison with the costs of the visa / moving itself!!

Edited by Ferrets

If you are considering using an agent, get them onboard early. Getting the EOI right is the most important part because a mistake there could cost you your visa if you are invited to apply. The process to follow is Eng test + skills assessment then EOI. The visa application is largely repetition of what you needed for those three activities - that's why its best to get an agent onboard early. If your case is straight forward and you are prepared to invest a lot of your time in researching the process and compiling the application then an agent is not essential. I did this and have secured a visa but will add that it did require a lot of time in research to make sure that I did things in the correct order and properly.

The EOI is not the first step in the process as you first need a skills assessment and possibly English testing.

The EOI is probably the most important part of the application as it forms the foundation of the subsequent visa application. If you get it wrong in the EOI (such as over claiming skilled experience) you face possible refusal.