Love getting visitors from the UK

Joji

We moved out here 4 years ago and never did we envisage the opportunities taken and embracement to Australia that our family and friends have shown . We've had different family members visit each Christmas along with the same family members we've had each year . Friends of friends meeting up with us on their travels ,backpackers from our local village , ex in laws and their new partner and family arranging to meet us next year , visit form an old work colleague , and another 7 members of our family that we haven't seen for 4 years coming out for Christmas yeahhh !!! ( so a total of 13 this year ) We have been most overwhelmed and very happily surprised that some that we thought would never visit have . They have also said that if it wasn't for us moving here they would never have even thought about coming to visit Australia . When we came to Australia we thought deeply and often of our loss to the Uk especially our family and friends but we never considered the gain to Australia of those that we left behind . It is very heartwarming to learn that they have looked to the positive of us moving here and taken the opportunity to come and visit us and this wonderful country . We may have have left a door ajar in the Uk for us but we now know we have left a door wide open in Australia for many . We hope they keep a coming because it's fantastic when they do

We moved out here 4 years ago and never did we envisage the opportunities taken and embracement to Australia that our family and friends have shown . We've had different family members visit each Christmas along with the same family members we've had each year . Friends of friends meeting up with us on their travels ,backpackers from our local village , ex in laws and their new partner and family arranging to meet us next year , visit form an old work colleague , and another 7 members of our family that we haven't seen for 4 years coming out for Christmas yeahhh !!! ( so a total of 13 this year ) We have been most overwhelmed and very happily surprised that some that we thought would never visit have . They have also said that if it wasn't for us moving here they would never have even thought about coming to visit Australia . When we came to Australia we thought deeply and often of our loss to the Uk especially our family and friends but we never considered the gain to Australia of those that we left behind . It is very heartwarming to learn that they have looked to the positive of us moving here and taken the opportunity to come and visit us and this wonderful country . We may have have left a door ajar in the Uk for us but we now know we have left a door wide open in Australia for many . We hope they keep a coming because it's fantastic when they do

That's all good Joji. I'd always make an effort to help, meet, or advise anyone loosely connected (or maybe not at all) to my place of birth.

Re: Australia and getting there. t's a doable trip when you actually experience it. An all too large cohort of people, I think, make it out like it's a plane-ride to lunar orbit. These same people havent been beyond the corner shop.

Great that you are looking after the odd backpacker too.

What part of Australia are you in?

B

We've had many dozens over the years, some repeat trips (times 4, in one case) I'd say there are two sides to visitors. Few appear as independent as first assumed, requiring at times quite a lot of maintenance. Many of the youngsters seem 'lost'. More happy to remain on smart phones with home, than to get out and experience adventures of their own. Some others seem to think they can get a job, staying rent free for months on end as part of the deal.

Others are a pure joy, get us out and about and have valid questions and a deep sense to experience what is on offer. These people allow us a different sense of 'self realisation', to the place we inhabit as well.

That's all good Joji. I'd always make an effort to help, meet, or advise anyone loosely connected (or maybe not at all) to my place of birth.

Re: Australia and getting there. t's a doable trip when you actually experience it. An all too large cohort of people, I think, make it out like it's a plane-ride to lunar orbit. These same people havent been beyond the corner shop.

Great that you are looking after the odd backpacker too.

What part of Australia are you in?

B

hi Beaty we are on the Gold Coast so probably why we've had so many visitors

We've had many dozens over the years, some repeat trips (times 4, in one case) I'd say there are two sides to visitors. Few appear as independent as first assumed, requiring at times quite a lot of maintenance. Many of the youngsters seem 'lost'. More happy to remain on smart phones with home, than to get out and experience adventures of their own. Some others seem to think they can get a job, staying rent free for months on end as part of the deal.

Others are a pure joy, get us out and about and have valid questions and a deep sense to experience what is on offer. These people allow us a different sense of 'self realisation', to the place we inhabit as well.

We've been very lucky so far with our visitors but some of my friends have had some of the experiences you mentioned

Well done Joji. You have had more this year than we have had in total in 35 years here. Can you please tell me what brand of deodorant you are using. Thought we had tried them all. :wink:

Hahs I go for what's on special offer at the time so would have to say cheap deodorant , cheap is good for me though

We've been very lucky so far with our visitors but some of my friends have had some of the experiences you mentioned

My take is it is meaningless to judge anything by numerical terms in the sense of visitors. Who wouldn't like free accommodation and to take the opportunity to visit a far off location?

The overall quality of the stay for all sides is what is important. I make it a rule abroad. Not more than two nights(three at a stretch( staying then onwards before over staying welcome .

Friends and fish go off after 3 days is worth remembering.

Had plenty of visitors over 23 years of being expats before moving here, and had far more good than bad.

Apart from a few exceptions eg close family, we expect friends to chip in, love visitors but we aren't a hotel and after being left well out of pocket a couple of times learnt a lesson. And aren't afraid to ask visitors to chip in if staying more than a couple of days, we are generous within reason.

The worst visitor ever was a single female, who invited herself for a month when we hadn't lived in Brunei very long. She fell in love with the lifestyle, made pass after pass at my husband, who bless him was oblivious! and then went after every single male, even ended up moving in with one by telling him we had kicked her out. It was a nightmare and really upsetting at the time. Any way it didn't work out for her, partly because my husband was so angry that, and this is very unusual for him, he told his work colleague the truth.

Edited by ramot

When living in France over a number of years, I recall being very popular, not just among persons known to me, but at times their friends as well. Of /course lived in a choice location, beside a river with a 13 th century bridge outside bedroom window, in the old quartier of a charming city, less than an hour to Paris....so popularity due to personality may not have been the prominent factor as to why so popular necessarily.

When living in France over a number of years, I recall being very popular, not just among persons known to me, but at times their friends as well. Of /course lived in a choice location, beside a river with a 13 th century bridge outside bedroom window, in the old quartier of a charming city, less than an hour to Paris....so popularity due to personality may not have been the prominent factor as to why so popular necessarily.

Have to admit we didn't get many visitors when we lived in Nottingham.

my dad has no family and my mum's family never bothered to visit. strange as it would have been a fantastic cheap holiday. My parents would have put them up and driven them around. Even the young ones. My second cousin was talking of going to new Zealand for a year. I suggested she drop in and visit family in Perth. She looked dumbfounded. Weird as she knows my sister quite well.

What a lovely post. One of the advantages I think for us has been getting to actually spend some really good quality time with rellies: when in the UK we'd visit for a few hours, but when they come to visit here it's a good couple of weeks.

Yes that's one of the things I've found too plus I've found you get to really know them as a person as they are away from all the normal day to day things , especially my father in law he was always in the background doing his own thing when we visited in the Uk but when he came to visit he was the centre of attention and he really suprized me how involved he got and how is sense of humour really shone I've never laughed with him as much in the three weeks he was here he was like a different person :)

Bloody hell. How can you stand it. I've got a couple coming to stay but they are total pains in the bum. Can they come and stay with you?

Haha I'm all booked up at the moment got lots of family coming at the beginning of December for just short of a month , I've been lucky so far as got on really well with all my visitors :)

My take is it is meaningless to judge anything by numerical terms in the sense of visitors. Who wouldn't like free accommodation and to take the opportunity to visit a far off location?

The overall quality of the stay for all sides is what is important. I make it a rule abroad. Not more than two nights(three at a stretch( staying then onwards before over staying welcome .

I totally agree that it's on the quality of stay for all sides , my visitors have always had free accommodation as we know how hard it has been for them to gather the funds to visit Australia . They also know how tight our financial circumstances are here so it's always worked well with a food kitty and pay your own way on everything else .its always worked for us as they have felt that they have payed their way and we have felt that we have given something back to towards their airfare . Quality time together and building new memories has always been the focus of equality with our visitors

Friends and fish go off after 3 days is worth remembering.

Had plenty of visitors over 23 years of being expats before moving here, and had far more good than bad.

Apart from a few exceptions eg close family, we expect friends to chip in, love visitors but we aren't a hotel and after being left well out of pocket a couple of times learnt a lesson. And aren't afraid to ask visitors to chip in if staying more than a couple of days, we are generous within reason.

The worst visitor ever was a single female, who invited herself for a month when we hadn't lived in Brunei very long. She fell in love with the lifestyle, made pass after pass at my husband, who bless him was oblivious! and then went after every single male, even ended up moving in with one by telling him we had kicked her out. It was a nightmare and really upsetting at the time. Any way it didn't work out for her, partly because my husband was so angry that, and this is very unusual for him, he told his work colleague the truth.

so sorry to hear of your bad experience she does sound like a blooming nightmare , yep we have our door open to all our visitors but theiy are fully aware of our circumstances before they come and we've been very lucky so far as everyone has paid their contribution