Emigration route - WHV > 457 > 186?

ExperienceIt

Hi all, I'm hoping for some re-assurance (or re-directing) for my plan.

My girlfriend (32yo, been together 18 months) went to Aus a couple of months back with the intention of emigrating permanently, as it's been her plan for many years due to most of her family living there. With both of us unwilling to give up on our relationship, I intend to follow in early January (other commitments having delayed me).

I'm 33, British, and having paid for an initial consultation from a registered agent, learnt I am should be able to emigrate under 'engineering technologist' on a 189 skilled visa, having got the relevant education and experience. However, the processing time of 9-12 months would put such a difficult strain on our relationship, that they suggested the best route if I want to go in January would be to try to get a job sponsored on a 457 visa. I plan to start applying for jobs now, and continue when in Australia if nothing shows up beforehand.

Since receiving this advice it has been announced the age limit on a 417 working holiday visa will increase to 35 (as of 1st Jan) therefore making me eligible. I now see getting a WHV as way to allow me to prove myself with an Australian company for a short period before they commit to 457 sponsorship, and hopefully get a 186 visa after that.

To avoid having to wait 2 weeks for a paid consultation just to ask a simple question I'm hoping for some simple advice on:

• Whether my 417 > 457 > 186 route is both practical and the most sensible in my circumstances, as the agent suggested?
  • How quickly people feel a 417 working holiday visa is likely to be turned around in the first week of Jan, bearing in mind both a probably Christmas backlog, and high demand due to the age limit change? (I realise this may be hard to predict). I ask, as I want to both hand in my notice at work, and book flights to go as early in Jan as reasonably possible.

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Think this one went under the radar last time - hoping someone can offer their advice please :)

As another route, I'm also considering working on a 417 working holiday visa when I arrive to get me going, but applying for a 189 skilled visa almost immediately. Any thoughts on this option as well?

As a side note, does your girlfriend have the option to return to the UK, believe it is called the partner visa or does she already have full working rights. Others will know better, but if in the future you decided you wanted to return to the UK. The rules have changed and it would be another obstacle, which could mean you are apart for many months.

As for the route, you do not mention what city you are both planning to move to. What is the job market like there.

There is a crack down going on with 457 visas at the moment, not sure of when it will fully come into play. Also a 417 visa sometimes it is hard to find work in your field as you can only work a company for up to 6 months. If you intend to go down the 189 path when you get here have you done the skills assessment. Once all of that is done, you can apply for a bridging visa to allow you stay.

Another option you may consider, as I know a friend of mine who met a British guy, she fell pregnant and they applied for a partner visa which in the end was successfully approved.

Good luck with your move, you have a lot to consider and work out in a very short time. For the 189 visa you could kick of the skills assessment know to get the ball rolling.

Looks like a good pathway to me, but I would be concerned that it may fall down in places (what if you don't get a 457?). The second pathway you suggest also looks good to me.

Alternatively, you could look at going for a 2 year 417 (need a 3 month rural stint I think), followed by a partner visa. You would need to move in with your GF straightaway and build up at least 12 months of shared finances, responsibilities, etc.

What sort of engineering discipline, and what do you think you mean by "engineering technologist"? Also, where are you heading for

Makes a difference. Tons of infrastructure work going on in Sydney and Melbourne, much less elsewhere. Will make a big difference to the likelihood of getting sponsorship

If money and accomodation isn't an issue I would go on a working holiday if you can and then go for 189 straight away...with a 457 you could waste time trying to get that and then not find a sponsor in the end and if you want to stay you will need to apply for permanent visa anyway after or during 457

Thanks everyone for the range of replies, I really appreciate it. There is so much uncertainty in everything which is very stressful, but I've just got to get on with it somehow.

We will be living in the Central Coast area - about an hour north of Sydney, but I suspect will end up commuting as necessary.

--Evets - my girlfriend is on a WHV with a company that has agreed to give her 457 sponsorship after a trial period. I've not done a skill assessment for a 189 yet, though for my particular situation I know it involves writing a 'Competency Demonstration Report' which is no mean feat.

--robfromdublin - thanks. I realise there is an element of risk. If i don't get a 457 I'll have no choice but to apply for a 189, no matter the hassle. The 2 year 417 followed by partner visa is a neat idea which I'd not thought of in that way until now.

--VERYSTORMY - Good points. I found this out yesterday since writing my original posts, which may put a spanner in the works. I'm going to dig deeper to try and ascertain if and when this change will be made.

--northshorepom - I work as a Product Design Engineer, which isn't actually a chartered engineering discipline (ie - not a 4 year bEng course), hence the 'engineering technologist' title - which is basically an 'other' category for less common design/engineering jobs.

--xxlornaxx - I'll survive money and accom wise, but would rather not have a period off work. Fair point on the 457 though.

So now options are:

1 - holiday visa > 457 > 186 (or 417 > 457 if the scheme changes to 35+ in the next few weeks. Alternately go to NZ to get 417 if things are going slowly to buy myself time). (the best route in terms of bureaucracy and costs, but worst in terms of security)

2 - holiday visa > 417 for 2 years when it launches > partner visa (the most time consuming, but mid-priced route)

3 - holiday visa > 417 when it launches > apply for 189 straight away (the most expensive, but most secure route)

Thanks everyone for the range of replies, I really appreciate it. There is so much uncertainty in everything which is very stressful, but I've just got to get on with it somehow.

We will be living in the Central Coast area - about an hour north of Sydney, but I suspect will end up commuting as necessary.

--Evets - my girlfriend is on a WHV with a company that has agreed to give her 457 sponsorship after a trial period. I've not done a skill assessment for a 189 yet, though for my particular situation I know it involves writing a 'Competency Demonstration Report' which is no mean feat.

--robfromdublin - thanks. I realise there is an element of risk. If i don't get a 457 I'll have no choice but to apply for a 189, no matter the hassle. The 2 year 417 followed by partner visa is a neat idea which I'd not thought of in that way until now.

--VERYSTORMY - Good points. I found this out yesterday since writing my original posts, which may put a spanner in the works. I'm going to dig deeper to try and ascertain if and when this change will be made.

--northshorepom - I work as a Product Design Engineer, which isn't actually a chartered engineering discipline (ie - not a 4 year bEng course), hence the 'engineering technologist' title - which is basically an 'other' category for less common design/engineering jobs.

--xxlornaxx - I'll survive money and accom wise, but would rather not have a period off work. Fair point on the 457 though.

So now options are:

1 - holiday visa > 457 > 186 (or 417 > 457 if the scheme changes to 35+ in the next few weeks. Alternately go to NZ to get 417 if things are going slowly to buy myself time). (the best route in terms of bureaucracy and costs, but worst in terms of security)

2 - holiday visa > 417 for 2 years when it launches > partner visa (the most time consuming, but mid-priced route)

3 - holiday visa > 417 when it launches > apply for 189 straight away (the most expensive, but most secure route)

You are aware that your girlfriend cannot sponsort you for a partner visa until SHE is a permanent resident. If she is on a 417 or 457 she can't do it.

I am a bit puzzled about your girlfriends situation, you said she was on a WHV but you have also said she is 32 - so she can't be surely?

Anyway I think you are over complicating this. The occupation you mention is on the SOL so why not just go for the 189, it doesn't take nine months typically, it processes pretty quickly and if you had started it when your girlfriend left or even before then as you mention it has long been on the cards, well you would be well on your way by now. Even now though, it seems like the most sensible thing to do.

If your girlfriend secures a 457 sponsorship and you can prove a defacto relationship, then you can go on that application and get a temporary visa with work rights whilst you wait for the 189 visa. You would also put your OH on the 189 application so she gets a permanent visa too and indeed if you claim defacto for the 457 you would have to claim defacto for this one.

My concern is that she has opted to go on ahead without you, through choice not necessity as far as I can see. A married person does not typically move to the other side of the world without a solid plan for their spouse, so you will have to ensure you have that angle covered in any future joint visa application.

There is a lot of talk about the WHV age increasing, but the only official statement I have found is that they are going to think about it. Personally I doubt very much that it will increase to 35 in January. Sponsorship to a 457 is not that easy to come by and sponsorship to a 186 even less likely. So no, I don't think this as a plan is anywhere near as good a plan as applying for the 189 visa.

Bungo - thanks for your reply, all good points. My other half applied for her WHV in the last week of being 30, and activated it a year later aged 31, just before she turned 32. For her skillset, a 457 was the only route in as far as we could see, hence why she went on ahead whilst I still had commitments here, so the delay was actually necessity rather than choice.

The reason I didn't go for a 189 is that after paying to seek professional advice from an agent, they told me that in their experience 9-12 months was a real-world typical turnaround time on it, and they advised going down the 457 route given my circumstances. I'm not so sure on reflection that this was the best advice but I'm heading out in January (on a tourist visa) so don't feel I have an option now, as on that basis it would be between aug-nov 2017 before a 189 would be granted.

I've ruled out the WHV age limit changing as being an option, in fact it would be a bonus rather than anything to be relied upon now. A partner visa is only going to work if we are able to spend a year living together... which we haven't and can't, unless I'm granted some way of staying in Aus for a year :/

This leaves me with the only way forward being trying to get a 457 visa no matter how hard it is, unless anyone else knows otherwise?

I don't see why you u can't go for 189...I got mine in 4 weeks once I applied...although I did have to wait three months for skills assessment before I could apply...my 457 took 4 months....so time frames vary,you are best going for option that is most suited for you both long term and the best visa is 189

Bungo - thanks for your reply, all good points. My other half applied for her WHV in the last week of being 30, and activated it a year later aged 31, just before she turned 32. For her skillset, a 457 was the only route in as far as we could see, hence why she went on ahead whilst I still had commitments here, so the delay was actually necessity rather than choice.

The reason I didn't go for a 189 is that after paying to seek professional advice from an agent, they told me that in their experience 9-12 months was a real-world typical turnaround time on it, and they advised going down the 457 route given my circumstances. I'm not so sure on reflection that this was the best advice but I'm heading out in January (on a tourist visa) so don't feel I have an option now, as on that basis it would be between aug-nov 2017 before a 189 would be granted.

I've ruled out the WHV age limit changing as being an option, in fact it would be a bonus rather than anything to be relied upon now. A partner visa is only going to work if we are able to spend a year living together... which we haven't and can't, unless I'm granted some way of staying in Aus for a year :/

This leaves me with the only way forward being trying to get a 457 visa no matter how hard it is, unless anyone else knows otherwise?

My advice remains exactly the same. The 189 is the way to go, then it is totally within your control, you cannot control the 457 "route" it depends on you finding a willing sponsor. In the meantime "moving" to Australia on a tourist visa is a higher risk strategy. Tourists visas are for holidays not for people to get to Australia in order to seek out a sponsor.

Some skills assessments are time consuming, no idea how long yours takes, but in my occupation it can take say three weeks, from there it could be a mere month or so to the 189 is granted. They really do move very quickly and 9-12 months is an absurd estimate. Just get on with it, you are wasting even more time.

I don't see how partner visa is even part of is conversation, neither of you is a citizen or a permanent resident so partner visa is just not on the table for discussion.

I second Bunga and Lorna. 189 is the best way forward. If you are going for a holiday in January why don’t you start your skills assessment process (i.e. gathering references and attesting your certificates) in the meantime? Or do your English test? AFAIK these are the two major time consuming exercises, the rest should only take you 1-2 months max depending on how many points you score. The more points you have the more quicker your initial application gets processed.

I'm a little overwealmed by the encouragement towards the 189 route, and annoyed that I've lost 2 months having been steered towards another option by a professional. The govt website says 3 months, though obviously doesn't take everything involved into account. However, the 9 months figure also came from some good friends who emigrated last year so I still don't see it as unrealistic.

I've read elsewhere that it is possible to apply for a 189, then travel out on a tourist visa to pass the time (as long as you inform your CO), and if this expires before the 189 is granted get a bridging visa with full work rights as an interim measure. Can anyone else back this up?

The assessment process for the category I'd apply for 'engineering technologist' is pretty long and difficult from what I understand, requiring writing a 6000 word competency demonstration report (CDR) which I've been told is very involved and this phase can take 2-4 months. You also only have one shot at it. It's obviously just something that would need to be done regardless though.

I'm now seriously considering the 189 option and will act quickly if I am suitably reassured this is the right way. Things to bear in mind- 1. I have already handed my notice in at work and put my house up for rent, 2. I don't want to sit around unable to work in Aus for months and months, but most of all 3. don't want to jeapordise the ability to live in the same country as my other half. Choosing the right visa is therefore very important. Has anyone here applied for a 189 on their own, or do people generally use an agent? Anyone else feel the same as Bungo, xlornax and AwdAmr?

I've read elsewhere that it is possible to apply for a 189, then travel out on a tourist visa to pass the time (as long as you inform your CO), and if this expires before the 189 is granted get a bridging visa with full work rights as an interim measure. Can anyone else back this up?

If you go out on a tourist visa having already applied offshore you cannot get a Bridging Visa, you have to leave before your tourist visa expires. You would only get the Bridging Visa if you applied onshore for the 189. Then you would get a Bridging Visa once your tourist visa expires, but it would not have working rights.

I'm a little overwealmed by the encouragement towards the 189 route, and annoyed that I've lost 2 months having been steered towards another option by a professional. The govt website says 3 months, though obviously doesn't take everything involved into account. However, the 9 months figure also came from some good friends who emigrated last year so I still don't see it as unrealistic.

The assessment process for the category I'd apply for 'engineering technologist' is pretty long and difficult from what I understand, requiring writing a 6000 word competency demonstration report (CDR) which I've been told is very involved and this phase can take 2-4 months. You also only have one shot at it. It's obviously just something that would need to be done regardless though.

I'm now seriously considering the 189 option and will act quickly if I am suitably reassured this is the right way. Things to bear in mind- 1. I have already handed my notice in at work and put my house up for rent, 2. I don't want to sit around unable to work in Aus for months and months, but most of all 3. don't want to jeapordise the ability to live in the same country as my other half. Choosing the right visa is therefore very important. Has anyone here applied for a 189 on their own, or do people generally use an agent? Anyone else feel the same as Bungo, xlornax and AwdAmr?

• 1 year later...

Having been granted a 189 visa last week, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed on this thread a year ago.

Your collective knowledge and wisdom, believe it or not, was what pushed me to go down this visa route and led to me getting permanent residency. Nothing happened nearly as quickly as anyone suggested unfortunately (not your fault!), even though I paid for various 'priority services' along the way. The whole process took pretty much a year, and for reference, cost (for everything, inc. agent fees) pretty much £7k.

Whether using an agent was worth it / good value vs. doing it myself is hard to know, but all I can say is I used them and got a positive outcome!

To anyone currently awaiting a visa - stay patient and positive!

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:01, ExperienceIt said:

Having been granted a 189 visa last week, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed on this thread a year ago.

Your collective knowledge and wisdom, believe it or not, was what pushed me to go down this visa route and led to me getting permanent residency. Nothing happened nearly as quickly as anyone suggested unfortunately (not your fault!), even though I paid for various 'priority services' along the way. The whole process took pretty much a year, and for reference, cost (for everything, inc. agent fees) pretty much £7k.

Whether using an agent was worth it / good value vs. doing it myself is hard to know, but all I can say is I used them and got a positive outcome!

To anyone currently awaiting a visa - stay patient and positive!

Excellent - congratulations 

Archived