457 Questions

mccreadiet

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, looks like I will be heading to Brisbane in the new year with my company on a 457 Visa, just starting the process now, trying to do some research! - when on a 457 visa you are granted 4 year temporary stay(can be nominated after 2 years), which has affect upon the availability of finance, eg cars and mortgages etc. However as I am married to an Australian Citizen does this impact upon the temporary visa outcome? or can they issue PR straight off, thus negating the issues around 457 that I mentioned, and fast tracks the citizen process for my self.

interested to hear your thoughts!

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, looks like I will be heading to Brisbane in the new year with my company on a 457 Visa, just starting the process now, trying to do some research! - when on a 457 visa you are granted 4 year temporary stay(can be nominated after 2 years), which has affect upon the availability of finance, eg cars and mortgages etc. However as I am married to an Australian Citizen does this impact upon the temporary visa outcome? or can they issue PR straight off, thus negating the issues around 457 that I mentioned, and fast tracks the citizen process for my self.

Cheers

Being married to an Australian citizen has no bearing on the 457 visa. Also a 457 visa is not for four years, it can be for anything between a day and four years. The only relevance of two years on the 457 visa is that you would not need to pass a skills assessment should your employer be willing to sponsor you for a permanent employer sponsored visa, the 186 or 187.

In your position, if you want to stay then it would make sense to put in for the partner visa and the 457 visa, you won't get a partner visa in time for a move in the new year hence you need both. The 457 processes quicker, when the partner visa is ready it will replace the 457. This could also be a temporary visa, it depends how long you have been married or defacto with your husband.

Citizenship takes four years of legal residence, including one as a permanent resident, there is no option to "fast track" it.

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Go with Commonwealth bank(not a plug) if you come out on the 457 visa, they were recommended to me as they will issue you a credit card which will help you build up your credit history. Coming over best to bring as much supporting history about your credit background, as all will help(well in my mind it did) ie credit history report, if renting landlord/agency references, if home owner(and going to let it out) details of the rental agreement(think this looks good to estate agents as shows you are a homeowner yourself).

As for finance, not really able to comment, as managed in Melbourne for years without really needing a car, but I think you may still be able to apply for a mortgage, not sure if linked in with your visa and date of expiry. Others can comment who probably know. The good thing your NCB will be recognized in Australia, bring a copy even though when I got insurance they accepted my word and never asked to see it.

Find out from the company how long they plan to make the visa and if there is a possibly of sponsoring you down the line for PR. If so, this would be the best route as it costs a lot of money and time to do it yourself. Money I suspect you and you partner would find better uses for, downside it does tie you into your company for longer if you have plans on leaving.

Find out if your company would offer you the living away from home allowance. Unfortunately my company did not, but other people I chatted too says it makes a BIG difference while it lasts. Would you be resigning from the UK and being hired as a new employee in Australia or just doing a relocation as a new assignment? Not sure if this makes a difference to the LAFHA.

Hi Guys,

Cheers

I also came out on a 457 married to an Australian; take the advice about progressing the 457 visa but then cut across to the 820/801 partner visa as soon as possible in case you have any problems with the company. If you were laid off for whatever reason, under a 457 you used to have just 28 days (now I think it's 60) to find a new sponsor or leave the country - not always practical, but with a partner visa you can stay as long as your wife does and even a couple of years after that!

Go with Commonwealth bank(not a plug) if you come out on the 457 visa, they were recommended to me as they will issue you a credit card which will help you build up your credit history. Coming over best to bring as much supporting history about your credit background, as all will help(well in my mind it did) ie credit history report, if renting landlord/agency references, if home owner(and going to let it out) details of the rental agreement(think this looks good to estate agents as shows you are a homeowner yourself).

As for finance, not really able to comment, as managed in Melbourne for years without really needing a car, but I think you may still be able to apply for a mortgage, not sure if linked in with your visa and date of expiry. Others can comment who probably know. The good thing your NCB will be recognized in Australia, bring a copy even though when I got insurance they accepted my word and never asked to see it.

Find out from the company how long they plan to make the visa and if there is a possibly of sponsoring you down the line for PR. If so, this would be the best route as it costs a lot of money and time to do it yourself. Money I suspect you and you partner would find better uses for, downside it does tie you into your company for longer if you have plans on leaving.

Find out if your company would offer you the living away from home allowance. Unfortunately my company did not, but other people I chatted too says it makes a BIG difference while it lasts. Would you be resigning from the UK and being hired as a new employee in Australia or just doing a relocation as a new assignment? Not sure if this makes a difference to the LAFHA.

I cannot agree that it would be better to apply for a company sponsored permanent visa rather than a partner visa, it would be far more straightforward for everyone involved to do partner visa (with a 457 for the short term).

And LAFHA was abolished for 457 visa holders years ago!

I tend to agree with Bungo.

I received a 12k credit card after 3 months of working on a WHV with wespac

I'm now on a bridging visa and have a flexiloan with westpac

I also have a st george visa credit card.

All are being used in a way to hopefully build up my credit file so I could hopefully buy a house in the next year or so.

PR is just as good as Citizenship. However with home loans this may be different.

Thanks for the responses guys, looks like the way forward is the 457 and transfer over to partner visa ASAP after that.

All going well should be in Brisbane for the height of the summer!

Probably it was just a figure of speech, but just for clarity you are not going to be "transferring" over to the partner visa. There is no conceot of visa transfers, it is simply a brand new visa application.

I cannot agree that it would be better to apply for a company sponsored permanent visa rather than a partner visa, it would be far more straightforward for everyone involved to do partner visa (with a 457 for the short term).

And LAFHA was abolished for 457 visa holders years ago!

I was just thinking about the additional costs involved, if the company is prepared to sponsor him. They will have migration agents involved and cover all the costs. It is really a win win for him.

Partner visas can be more complicated, and come with the personal costs which is not cheap.

My personal view, if the company will sponsor you and you are prepared to stay for the duration, go with that. Why fork out the visa costs from your own pocket if you have no reason to leave and the company will cover it. Also you are not having to justify your relationship.

I was not aware of the abolishment, only took a quick look at the site today and just scanned it. Shame really as was a great perk if you could get it.

I was just thinking about the additional costs involved, if the company is prepared to sponsor him. They will have migration agents involved and cover all the costs. It is really a win win for him.

Partner visas can be more complicated, and come with the personal costs which is not cheap.

My personal view, if the company will sponsor you and you are prepared to stay for the duration, go with that. Why fork out the visa costs from your own pocket if you have no reason to leave and the company will cover it. Also you are not having to justify your relationship.

I was not aware of the abolishment, only took a quick look at the site today and just scanned it. Shame really as was a great perk if you could get it.

Partner visas are not more complicated than an employer sponsored visa. They are married, it should be straightforward. There are many more hurdles to jump through for an employer sponsored visa and most companies will not stump up the visa application costs for the permanent employer sponsored visa.

I agree that if the employer is willing to sponsor a permanent visa and is willing to pay the costs then that would be a better plan. I just doubt it very much.

Partner visas are not more complicated than an employer sponsored visa. They are married, it should be straightforward. There are many more hurdles to jump through for an employer sponsored visa and most companies will not stump up the visa application costs for the permanent employer sponsored visa.

I agree that if the employer is willing to sponsor a permanent visa and is willing to pay the costs then that would be a better plan. I just doubt it very much.

If his company is prepared to transfer him, and prepared to sponsor him, shame an expensive cost to transfer him for for up to 4 years unless on a specific project that was only for a set time. It is/would so much less hassle than a partner visa but then I would not know. If sponsoring him all he needs to do is collect the documents the immigration companies wants at the time. Cannot comment on the partner visa when married, but I had to write a reference letter for friends getting married in Australia which told a few attempts to get the wording right, she was being super picky, when she wanted to submit it.

LAFHA only applies if you maintain a second home in Australia, so you can’t consider an overseas home.

If his company is prepared to transfer him, and prepared to sponsor him, shame an expensive cost to transfer him for for up to 4 years unless on a specific project that was only for a set time. It is/would so much less hassle than a partner visa but then I would not know. If sponsoring him all he needs to do is collect the documents the immigration companies wants at the time. Cannot comment on the partner visa when married, but I had to write a reference letter for friends getting married in Australia which told a few attempts to get the wording right, she was being super picky, when she wanted to submit it.

You may be then tied to that employer - the OP would be able to apply for a partner visa before the 2 year mark and achieve permanency.

Hi Guys,

Cheers

May be worth while having your specific circumstances assessed to determine the best visa pathway for you.

Subclass 186 may be an option without having to wait two years if you qualify under the Direct Entry pathway.

A partner visa is also an option, although these are expensive and take a very long time to process (currently 12 to 18 months).

The best visa option for you will be determined by factors such as costs, who will pay, your position and salary, length of your relationship, etc.

There are also other, more personal factors to consider. Sometimes having a visa outcome hinge on ones relationship can put a strain on the relationship.