Hi everyone, my name is Sonya and in currently living with my daughter on a 3 month holiday

sonya brown

I am here with my partner, we have been granted another 3 month stay yipee, ive always loved Australia and have been here many times, i have a daughter son/inlaw living in Melbourne on permanent resident visas, my other two children on on 1 year work permits in Sydney and are in the process of been sponsored. my massive massive dilema is my partner has had a criminal record he received a four year sentance in April 2007 and spent 2 years in prison, we are both devasted and ashamed about this, my partner before the crime and ever since is the kindest caring loving person i have ever met, my adult children adore him xx the thing is i love my kids so much and i dont want to leave them xxxx getting to the point is there any hope at all my partner wil be able to live in Australia he has never been in trouble before the crime or after, to me my children and everyone that knows him he is of perfect character, any thought feelings stories or facts, i would be so grateful for any feedback, thank Sonya x

I would consult a reputable MARA registered migration agent and discuss with them, giving full details of the criminal record etc. Let them give you feedback and guidance as to if you have a chance at a longer stay visa.

It doesn't look good I am afraid. It must of been something serious enough to be sentenced to 4 years, and in reality its still recent because the sentence 2007- 2011. It doesn't really he was let out after 2, still 4 year sentence. I hope a MA can offer some more advice and that serious ties to Aus can have a part to play. Good Luck

I am here with my partner, we have been granted another 3 month stay yipee, ive always loved Australia and have been here many times, i have a daughter son/inlaw living in Melbourne on permanent resident visas, my other two children on on 1 year work permits in Sydney and are in the process of been sponsored. my massive massive dilema is my partner has had a criminal record he received a four year sentance in April 2007 and spent 2 years in prison, we are both devasted and ashamed about this, my partner before the crime and ever since is the kindest caring loving person i have ever met, my adult children adore him xx the thing is i love my kids so much and i dont want to leave them xxxx getting to the point is there any hope at all my partner wil be able to live in Australia he has never been in trouble before the crime or after, to me my children and everyone that knows him he is of perfect character, any thought feelings stories or facts, i would be so grateful for any feedback, thank Sonya x

The criminal record may or may not be a showstopper, perhaps for the time being it would be and he might need to let more time elapse post sentence.

However what vusa are you thinking of anyway? With three adult children I daresay too old for skilled migration? If only one child has permanent residency then the criteria for parent visa is not met.

Two bits of info - if that is your real name, get Admin to change your username. DIBP browse these forums.

And - the way Oz has tightened up on character issues recently, you are lucky he is getting in at all. what sort of offence was he convicted off? Did it involve children, drugs or domestic violence?

Did your partner disclose his criminal record when entering Australia? Failure to disclose on a previous landing card or visa application is normally grounds for rejecting an application even where under other circumstances the original offence could be overlooked. If he did disclose and they allowed him in (and allowed a 3 month extension) that's a good sign that the offence isn't a show stopper. They do look at permanent visas more harshly but if they thought someone was a real danger to Australia they wouldn't let them in at all.

May I suggest that you stop posting on a public forum and consult one of the registered migration agents who has been posting here for a few years.