buying new toys? And Sending boxes and stuff back to uk

DebsiRobs

Hi

looks like we've decided after 6 years and 2 babies to leave Australia and return home as the pull of family and the kids not having family memories and spending quality time with grandparents and cousins etc so we've decided ? To go home next year. We won't be taking any big furniture maybe a wooden bed frame and mattress and many boxes of toys, clothes, sewing machine and just stuff! Is it better value to use a cube box thingo (how much did you pay for something similar) or just sending various boxes home via dhl or other such courier? Was wondering for those who've done it, did you just sell and replace the kids toys? Kids will be 2 and 4 when we go back so obviously won't have any baby stuff left by then but not sure whether to sell some stuff and replace most?

thanks!!

We used a move cube and found it very good value. I can't remember the exact cost, though the web site will quote instantly.

We we used a small one, which was enough for about 6 tea chest size boxes and a few smaller boxes. We found it very good value.

Although we we don't have children, I would say the same principle applies. If things are good quality and in good condition, then bring them.

We're in a very similar situation- moving back next year with a 2 &4 year old due to family. But we're undecided whether to ship everything or just boxes & start again. Going to cut right down on toys &they're so cheap in UK might just buy there. Good luck!

Hi @Debsi - we are moving to UK when house sells and keep going over whether to take or not. I had a business meeting with someone last week and they are returning to Aberdeen as work dried up here in Perth. They are taking back their expensive items they brought over from UK and based on other threads and chats I've had it seems to be the common theme. Take back what is valuable or has emotional attachment to you. The thought of rebuilding everything at 48 seems overwhelming to me personally and after reading posts on here today about the doom and gloom in England it does make me nervous.

But this move it not about financial gain for us - in fact we will be losing a lot and now placing our pension situation in a big dilemma. But family and family is the decision. I'm Australian (dual citizen) and husband is English - he misses his family who aren't getting any younger. I'm remaining optimistic whilst nervous (and not enjoying decluttering 17yrs in one house in Australia).

Best wishes to you. Not sure where you are but Chess Removals are apparently doing fairly competitive quotes (ex Perth). Not sure if they operate in other states.

Best of luck xx

With the cheap cost of toys in the UK, it would be better to get shot of 80% of the toys here and then buy new ones in the UK. Giv them to locak childcare places or charities and then when you land in the UK, go to Tesco and stock up. Shipping boxes takes a few months to arrive, so by the time you get them land in blighty, you kids may of moved on and be used to not playing with them. We brought everything out with us (including the kitchen sink lol). Most of it is still in the boxes in the garage. When we go back we will be cutting down things as much as we can and buying new/fresh stuff when back home.

Hi

looks like we've decided after 6 years and 2 babies to leave Australia and return home as the pull of family and the kids not having family memories and spending quality time with grandparents and cousins etc so we've decided 樂 To go home next year. We won't be taking any big furniture maybe a wooden bed frame and mattress and many boxes of toys, clothes, sewing machine and just stuff! Is it better value to use a cube box thingo (how much did you pay for something similar) or just sending various boxes home via dhl or other such courier? Was wondering for those who've done it, did you just sell and replace the kids toys? Kids will be 2 and 4 when we go back so obviously won't have any baby stuff left by then but not sure whether to sell some stuff and replace most?

thanks!!

We just moved the lot, but we did have to replace a few toys as it took a while for the shipping to get there.

TBH I'd ship the things they love and sell/give away the rest before you leave. Pretty much any toy you can buy here you will be able to get there also.

Kids can grow out of things so quickly too, if they don't see some toys for a few months they'll probably not miss them or may have moved on from them by the time they arrive (if going by sea).

We ditched heaps of toys before we moved over to Aus. In the end we had about a tea chests worth, including games and soft toys squished in. About a 1/4 of the chest was toys of sentimental value to me and things I wanted to keep forever IYKWIM. Most of the things we shipped are things that have lasted longer term like the Tower of Doom, knights and castles, dinosaurs, lego and board games.