The Whinge Is Strong With This One

Huntersmummy

The worst situation, happens the world over, is when you get expats together... Whether it's Aussies huddled around a BBQ in London or Brits in Perth, a group of expats together will bitch like no tomorrow. It's different, things aren't the same, so of course those discussions start.

Having lived in a few countries before moving to Oz, we made a pact to avoid Brits and Filipinos (my wifes nationality) in our social group where sensible to do so, and haven't found a great deal to whinge about as we love it here. But of course if I pushed by an expat, I would probably suddenly find a million things...

Well this expat (Brit) has also lived in several countries, and still keeps in touch with expat friends from as far back as the 1960's in Zambia, luckily have mostly good memories of the way we supported each other, rather than wasting my memories of any whinging. Have made friends with many nationalities while an expat and still continue to do so here, including other expats, we might have a laugh about some of our experiences but we certainly can't be bothered to whinge, too busy living life, certainly don't go out of my way to avoid anyone. Peoples nationalities are irrelevant if I like them.

Mind you having just been back to Asia I could be tempted to whinge about the word for maintenance being missing from the Malay language, you should have seen the state some places were in !!!

Edited by ramot

And what about Melbourne's endless winter - I always warn people don't come Melbourne if you expect the good Aussie weather experience. 9 months of winter, 3 months of good weather if you're lucky. Anyway, must stop moaning and have another celery stick.

Now that's something the locals are always whinging about. Which makes no sense to me. I've been in Melbourne for over 4 years now and despite the promise of 4 seasons in one day I've yet to experience any winter weather here. It does get decidedly autumnal rather more than I'd like but never wintry - just don't listen to the local who claim it's freezing when the temperature is still +10 C. If the temperature inside your freezer was +10 C you would not be happy - so how can you call that freezing? Oh hang on now I'm whinging....

Now that's something the locals are always whinging about. Which makes no sense to me. I've been in Melbourne for over 4 years now and despite the promise of 4 seasons in one day I've yet to experience any winter weather here. It does get decidedly autumnal rather more than I'd like but never wintry - just don't listen to the local who claim it's freezing when the temperature is still +10 C. If the temperature inside your freezer was +10 C you would not be happy - so how can you call that freezing? Oh hang on now I'm whinging....

I never found Sydney wintry either. Sure the locals whinged about how cold it was sometimes and would be waiting for public transport muffled up in big coats, scarves and gloves but I never found it cold enough to wear all that gear. Down here in Tassie however we do need the winter clothes. Not that I'm whinging about it. I like a bit of cold.

The Sunshine Coast isn't famous for cold winters, Si I had to laugh when I saw a woman in a full length fur coat at an evening meeting a couple of years ago!!

The remark made was 'She must come from Noosa'.

I can't whinge about the weather here, pretty much perfect for most of the year.

Edited by ramot

So when is a whinge then valid? Or is it never? Whinge being a word to reign in complaining in some books? Should we accept and not voice dissent? A fine line it would appear to some people.

I think this is a light hearted thread Flag. Everyone deserves to have a good old whinge once in a while. :cute:

Good evening my pombo's.

So this is yet another one of my curiosity, pointless, random crap posts but hey, whats a girl gotta do at 3am and husbands snoring? My 2nd option was eat but I'm waiting of my toast popping. ;)

I was reading up on a post my friend tagged me on FB (20 scary reasons why you shouldn't move to Oz) yadda yadda....sharks, snakes, scary spiders who eat your children, yum yum yum ...... blah blah blah

I see this pom make an innocent post about everyone in OZ, something to do with flip flops......then it was like DING DING DING, FIGHT! Everyone coming out of the woodwork to have a go saying us poms are *insert any swear you want* and all we do is whinge.

I'll be the first buggar to admit I had a whinge after arriving but now stuff is settling down, i hardly whinge. Apart from to the husband. But he's an arse and deserves it. Especially when he leaves chocolate bars on top of the shower head....thinks just because I'm shorter, i can see the damn kit kat in the mirror!! .....WTF is he doing EATING in the shower anyways???? Who eats in the shower??? What a mong....

ANYWAYS

Is it possible to move away from that stereotype or should we just admit it, that if we do have proud british blood, pumping through our british veins, that we are IN FACT whingy bastards and flaunt it?

Whenever you go somewhere and locals are doing something that doesn't make sense, it is common nature to have a moan. Mine was why doesn't the UK have Kmart. Strange I know. But after time you fit in when realise you can't change a nation, and you get sick of being told to **** off back to where you came from.