Any advice please re cars, driving licence, insurance etc.

Bridgeman

We are thinking of moving back to the UK next year, initially for a year but maybe permanently and I have been trying to find any information regarding the best thing to do about a car.

We have UK driving licences, but the photo ID expired in 2009. I understand that we can renew these in the UK, but have read elsewhere on this forum that in order to do that you need to have been resident for 185 days. Is this true? Also that being the case we would be able to drive temporarily on our Oz licences, but understand that it is not possible to get insurance with your Oz licence if you buy a car, which would mean the only alternative is to hire a car till we can get our UK licences. Confused!

Your UK license should be valid until you are 70 I think, that's the old paper license. The photo license is renewed every 10 years. I can find no mention of any waiting period. If you have a UK license you should be able renew it as they don't run out every few years like in Australia.

Actually I have found something about the 185 days, that's to show you are resident in the UK when exchanging a foreign license. You already have a UK license, it's just that the photo part has expired.

We are thinking of moving back to the UK next year, initially for a year but maybe permanently and I have been trying to find any information regarding the best thing to do about a car.

We have UK driving licences, but the photo ID expired in 2009. I understand that we can renew these in the UK, but have read elsewhere on this forum that in order to do that you need to have been resident for 185 days. Is this true? Also that being the case we would be able to drive temporarily on our Oz licences, but understand that it is not possible to get insurance with your Oz licence if you buy a car, which would mean the only alternative is to hire a car till we can get our UK licences. Confused!

Nope the 185 days is not true. Your licence has not expired anyway, just the photo card has and you simply need to renew that when you return and have an address. OH renewed his within a couple of months of returning, mine has a couple more years to go so I just started using it again as we went back to the same address.

You need to get a no claims bonus statement from your Australian insurers, Aviva are one of the English companies that accept Australian no claims bonus.

Just send off your licence for change of address as soon as you have an address, it seemed that was all required when we did it.