Friend of mine has to leave the country due to Migration Agent doing a runner

lukescotty

Hello

I'm not completely sure what the full story is. But basically my friend didn't know that his 457 visa extension had been refused due to his Agent doing a runner with his money and closing shop. He's found out today that it was refused on the 29th of September and now has 8 days to leave ( 28 days )

Hes been to DIBP in Brisbane and explained his situation and their response is you need to leave before the stated date.... which is fair enough (in their eyes). Only problem is, is he is still waiting for his passport to come....

Does anyone know whether there is any leeway due to the agent going walkies? or with the waiting of passport or what happens if he still doesn't receive his passport in time.... what can he do in order to not overstay and have a possible Ban on returning to australia in the future.

Any kind of advice would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Luke

Yes the 90 days is notice of cancellation, but look like OPs friend visa has expired and so they are currently out of status.

To opening post, whilst it is unfortunate that agent did a runner if the visa was declined it was declined whether agent did runner or not, so there was a small delay in hearing about it but doesn't change the fact that it was declined.

Not having a passport is tricky though, but of course there is no such thing as a "457 visa extension", it would be a brand new visa application so surely they had a valid passport when they lodged the application? Anyway, I guess travelling on an expired passport will be fine so long as they go straight to the home country.

Sounds like it is too late to worry about overstaying by the way, when someone is given eight days to leave the country I would have to assume he does not currently hold a visa and so is already an overstayer.

Edited by Bungo

Hello

I'm not completely sure what the full story is. But basically my friend didn't know that his 457 visa extension had been refused due to his Agent doing a runner with his money and closing shop. He's found out today that it was refused on the 29th of September and now has 8 days to leave ( 28 days )

Hes been to DIBP in Brisbane and explained his situation and their response is you need to leave before the stated date.... which is fair enough (in their eyes). Only problem is, is he is still waiting for his passport to come....

Does anyone know whether there is any leeway due to the agent going walkies? or with the waiting of passport or what happens if he still doesn't receive his passport in time.... what can he do in order to not overstay and have a possible Ban on returning to australia in the future.

Any kind of advice would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Luke

Hey luke,

When was the original expiry date of his visa? If the expiry date of the visa was before his refusal date the. He would most likely have been on a bridging visa and it wouldn't of had an expiry date until his new vis application was declined, thisnwould mean he would still be on a bridging visa and required to leave within the 28 days as already said.

My only advise is he could possibly pay for a MRT and review the refusal visa this will give him more time to arrange his affairs before departing. It costs 1000 bucks and takes around a year to be given and outcome and could also be in his favour