List of things to do before leaving!

abey1

Pack. Don't cancel bank accounts or CCs. It's hard to set that stuff up again and you never know where you might be in 5 years. Plus, they are good for transferring monies, paying for presents for UK friends etc...

Hi guys

We are planning to leave early next month. Does anyone can help me with the things to do before leaving. Except for below?

1. Flight booking

2. Cancelling bank accounts

3. Cancelling credit cards

4. Selling assets

Thank you!!

Don't cancel bank accounts and credit cards. You will not easily be able to obtain credit if you decide to come back to the UK (never say never). Tell your bank you are going overseas temporarily - they should be fine with a 'care of' address (they won't post replacement cards to Australia). Make everything Internet enabled as possible - Think of any pensions, investments etc.. Are you renting out a property? get a valuation for capital gains purposes. Inform TV licensing, council tax, HRMC (you may be entitled to a tax return).... Good luck!

Don't cancel bank accounts and credit cards. You will not easily be able to obtain credit if you decide to come back to the UK (never say never). Tell your bank you are going overseas temporarily - they should be fine with a 'care of' address (they won't post replacement cards to Australia). Make everything Internet enabled as possible - Think of any pensions, investments etc.. Are you renting out a property? get a valuation for capital gains purposes. Inform TV licensing, council tax, HRMC (you may be entitled to a tax return).... Good luck!

Why would you be entitled to a tax return?

Why would you be entitled to a tax return?

You will have paid tax as though you would be earning up to the end of the financial year so if you haven't used up your allowance it is possible you'll get a refund. If you have worked a part-year you may get a refund of tax paid - there is a form to complete on the HRMC site if you are leaving the country - I worked a part-year in 2013 and it was nice to get a refund check from the tax office.

Do u have time to get approved for a UK cc with no foreign transaction charges? Took us over 6mths to get Oz cc and UK one was a saviour.. Where in Oz ru u Heading?

Hi I'm heading to Perth. Good that you told me. Should not cancel my cc. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do u have time to get approved for a UK cc with no foreign transaction charges? Took us over 6mths to get Oz cc and UK one was a saviour.. Where in Oz ru u Heading?

Not sure what visa you are coming across on OP. I came on a 457 and joined Commonwealth, as they I believe are the only bank that would give a 457 visa holder a CC. Have a chat to them when you move over.

Not sure what visa you are coming across on OP. I came on a 457 and joined Commonwealth, as they I believe are the only bank that would give a 457 visa holder a CC. Have a chat to them when you move over.

On 190. I think we can't request cc without a job right? Coz I don't have one at the moment [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...