"Free movement of peoples" between the UK and Oz?

Roberta2

I worked there for a few weeks when I was on pipeline testing. Booked into a bed and breakfast with the other guys I worked with. First morning at breakfast the gay guy who runs the place asks everyone but me "one egg or two" then goes mincing back into the kitchen. My breakfast comes out with two eggs and he puts his hand on my shoulder and says "I brought you two, you look like a two egg man". The other guys thought it was hilarious.

We checked out and found another place.

Gays are pretty well represented there I have to say.

You've obviously a ' way' with the boys. lol. Brighton is said to be the gayest city in Europe for its population. Also had, probably still does a considerable drug problem.

Anyway one of the few places in England I would live outside of London. The tolerance being the contributing factor outside of the location. Something that does not immediately come to mind with anywhere in the North and few other places in the South.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably, I cover the whole of Scotland and as well as supervise junior engineers on projects all over the place, I have projects myself that are constantly taking me to new areas. Next week I am helping the north of England office doing a job in Whitby, but tomorrow will be on the Fife coast, the week after near Fort William, then I have a project in Kilmarnock. So, lots of variety. Going to take my wife and dog to the Whitby one and they will make a little holiday of it.

I was discussing with a member (Flag) on another thread, the merits of a very good fish n chip shop in Whitby ............ the Magpie Cafe.

Apart from character that would knock out Perth from the race. Not to mention 50 miles from the Big Smoke, hence London By Sea, not forgetting the nearby Downs and lovely countryside. Nor the rather 'free' feel to the place and one of most tolerant in England.

I prefer to live outside on the downs and only visit when I need to shop. They have some good music shops and comic book shops which my kids like to visit once a quarter. That's enough Brighton for me.

I worked there for a few weeks when I was on pipeline testing. Booked into a bed and breakfast with the other guys I worked with. First morning at breakfast the gay guy who runs the place asks everyone but me "one egg or two" then goes mincing back into the kitchen. My breakfast comes out with two eggs and he puts his hand on my shoulder and says "I brought you two, you look like a two egg man". The other guys thought it was hilarious.

We checked out and found another place.

Gays are pretty well represented there I have to say.

I'm not surprised you checked out Paul, that's bloody rude suggesting you were fat. I would have said something.

You've obviously a ' way' with the boys. lol. Brighton is said to be the gayest city in Europe for its population. Also had, probably still does a considerable drug problem.

Anyway one of the few places in England I would live outside of London. The tolerance being the contributing factor outside of the location. Something that does not immediately come to mind with anywhere in the North and few other places in the South.

Tbh I think the atmosphere comes across more as bohemian or radical studenty and extremely touristy rather than gay.

Don't think I've ever seen gays holding hands in the street etc.

Seen lots of homeless and druggie types though.

Guest Michaela60

Only thing Brighton has going for it is cwdd (and the road to London of course)

Tbh I think the atmosphere comes across more as bohemian or radical studenty and extremely touristy rather than gay.

Don't think I've ever seen gays holding hands in the street etc.

Seen lots of homeless and druggie types though.

I've seen lots of drug impacted types as well. I don't recall if seen gays holding hands. Have done in London, so easy to get confused. Lots of gay hotels not far from the front though.

Radical studenty? I thought Sussex University had long lost its once famous repetition for radical politics.

Not forgetting' dirty weekends' away from praying eyes, of course. What's cwdd anyway? Perhaps Worthing may better suit?

My son just finished a weeks work experience in worthing, and my sat nav took me along the sea front one day. Couldn't believe it, it's really pretty. Much more like Eastbourne than the architectural nightmare that Brighton is. Very clean, looked like a lovely place to spend the day. Can't believe I've never been there. Tend not to go to Worthing for some reason. Not sure why.

My son just finished a weeks work experience in worthing, and my sat nav took me along the sea front one day. Couldn't believe it, it's really pretty. Much more like Eastbourne than the architectural nightmare that Brighton is. Very clean, looked like a lovely place to spend the day. Can't believe I've never been there. Tend not to go to Worthing for some reason. Not sure why.

My very favourite place on the south coast is Rye in East Sussex. Lovely town.

Yep. Very hard to believe considering your closeness to Worthing. I guess it had a slightly 'dowdy' image and aged folk retirement centre. Certainly not the 'openness' and gayness of Brighton. Passed an entire summer in Worthing one year as a kid. Almost every day on the beach as lived a short walk from it. Really enjoyed it. Only retuned a couple of times since and never been to Eastbourne, although that was a place considering some years ago when going through a ' must get out of Australia' period.

But of course. :cute: Funny because my favourite area 'up north' is the Lake District and the prices there are also way beyond what I would have to offer for a very nice house.

Only passed by The Lake District without stopping but areas around are surely moderate to cheapish in price. Where as I doubt anywhere in Sussex could be described as that.

Only passed by The Lake District without stopping but areas around are surely moderate to cheapish in price. Where as I doubt anywhere in Sussex could be described as that.

I did my vet nursing training in the Lake District for three years. I shared a semi-detached cottage with 3 other girls during that time. It was ideally located between Ambleside and Windermere. Now that was a lot of years ago and in the meantime the cottage has been 'done up'. A good friend (used to share the cottage with her) sent this to me as this is the SAME cottage we lived in. Expensive for a semi-detached I thought. It was minus the conservatory when we lived there.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32995045.html

I did my vet nursing training in the Lake District for three years. I shared a semi-detached cottage with 3 other girls during that time. It was ideally located between Ambleside and Windermere. Now that was a lot of years ago and in the meantime the cottage has been 'done up'. A good friend (used to share the cottage with her) sent this to me as this is the SAME cottage we lived in. Expensive for a semi-detached I thought. It was minus the conservatory when we lived there.

Very nice though. Hardly a cottage these days but still a few bob for an area, to which I would imagine, would have limited ability to make a reasonable income.

Very nice though. Hardly a cottage these days but still a few bob for an area, to which I would imagine, would have limited ability to make a reasonable income.

I knew a couple way back then who had a gift shop in Ambleside. The shop was so profitable that they closed up in October and went over to live in Spain for the winter then came back and opened the shop again in the spring and summer. Tourism is a big money earner there.

Troutbeck is a lovely place. You could live in that 'cottage' and rent a bit out for an extra income ... Beginning to think twice about moving to Sydney :-).