Where is popular to retire in Australia?

Beaty

I agree certainly at the moment. But doesn't it depends largely on the stage of requirement? A lot change I feel, as the ageing process accelerates. Still I feel stimulation would be a necessary ingredient in those years. Nothing worse I fear, than people in age getting together with little to communicate besides aches and groans.

I think it depends on your interests though. I can see that people who love the beach or sports or gardening would have plenty of stimulation in a small seaside town. I would miss the theatre, music etc. too much. And actually I think you should move to Melbourne, it would be much more your style.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We retired to Tasmania. We thought about the south coast of NSW and looked at properties near Ulladulla and Tilba but in the end my love for Tasmania was the deciding factor. Also my husband not being in the best of health - we are close to good hospitals here. Housing is also still very affordable and I like the feel of community in our neighbourhood. Living near the ocean with easy access to lovely scenery is also a big plus. If I do feel the need for big city shopping etc, it's a flight away via Devonport airport but in the nearly 3 years we've been here I've not had the urge to be in a city. I cancelled my planned holiday to the UK - was supposed to be going this month but as my sister and SIL are planning to come here early next year I didn't see the point in travelling 12,000 miles to see them now.

I feel among some I've known a tendency towards a greater degree of social isolation with the march of time. That can of course be through choice and nothing wrong with that, as long as that is what the individual desires.

I like to think in a similar position, I'd have done the trip back to UK, as who knows how much longer that option may be possible? Not necessary to see relatives, but to undertake my own little adventure and to reacquaint. In my view it promotes an interest outside of the daily routine, which can be a factor, even a comfort as we age, perhaps at times without us even realising it.

I think it depends on your interests though. I can see that people who love the beach or sports or gardening would have plenty of stimulation in a small seaside town. I would miss the theatre, music etc. too much. And actually I think you should move to Melbourne, it would be much more your style.

I suspected you would respond as such. (to which I agree with, I hasten to add) But again it can change, depending on the stage of the age cycle we find ourselves. I know a seaside city here in WA with some fine cultural activities occurring around the year, in their rather newly built entertainment centre. I have lived in that city and could return and probably find more ' involvement' than in Perth.

I have rather gone away from the idea of Melbourne lately. I consider it over rated and perhaps even resting a little on laurels and the urban myth of its liveability.

I would conclude that with the highest population growth in Australia, living standards if anything will continue to fall. Perhaps a city just a little too much in admiration with itself?

I agree certainly at the moment. But doesn't it depends largely on the stage of requirement? A lot change I feel, as the ageing process accelerates. Still I feel stimulation would be a necessary ingredient in those years. Nothing worse I fear, than people in age getting together with little to communicate besides aches and groans.

You make me laugh flag, I hate to upset you, but some of us older retirees have a bit more to life than moan about our health.

Join U3A, great discussion group as well as all the other activities. Learn a new language, I plus several friends go to different level French lessons. One great friends in her early eighties brushing up on her Latin. No one I know has time to be bored unless they want to be.

A great mix of us oldies here on the coast, many expats who have lived around the world, love hearing our different life experiences. One American friend filled us in on his life, an eye opener on other people's life experiences, had many unusual jobs, and when retired saile round the world for 10 years, before settling here by chance.

Another friends was a prisoner of war for 4 years in Jakarta from age 11.

The day I give up being interested in life, will be a sad day, hope it's a long way off.

have to sign off now, just about to go out for lunch with a great mix and group of friends, plenty of laughter and no moaning.

It's a good idea when you get older to live every day as your last, because sadly one day it will be.

Edited by ramot

I have rather gone away from the idea of Melbourne lately. I consider it over rated and perhaps even resting a little on laurels and the urban myth of its liveability.

I would conclude that with the highest population growth in Australia, living standards if anything will continue to fall. Perhaps a city just a little too much in admiration with itself?

Melbourne certainly has its problems - I am surprised at how run-down many of its trendy suburbs look. However, I am also stunned at the cultural scene. I was always told that Melbourne was a more active centre culturally than Sydney but I'm only now realising what a big difference there is. I suppose, due to the weather, Melbournites have to find more interesting things to do indoors! I am absolutely spoiled for choice. Plus it's so great to see the long lines of thriving shops in the inner city suburbs.

I am still in the honeymoon phase of course, and having just come from the cultural wasteland of Southampton perhaps I am easily impressed...

Edited by Marisawright

You make me laugh flag, I hate to upset you, but some of us older retirees have a bit more to life than moan about our health.

Join U3A, great discussion group as well as all the other activities. Learn a new language, I plus several friends go to different level French lessons. One great friends in her early eighties brushing up on her Latin. No one I know has time to be bored unless they want to be.

A great mix of us oldies here on the coast, many expats who have lived around the world, love hearing our different life experiences. One American friend filled us in on his life, an eye opener on other people's life experiences, had many unusual jobs, and when retired saile round the world for 10 years, before settling here by chance.

The day I give up being interested in life, will be a sad day, hope it's a long way off.

have to sign off now, just about to go out for lunch with a great mix and group of friends, plenty of laughter and no moaning.

It's a good idea when you get older to live every day as your last, because sadly one day it will be.

I believe that flag would, when someone says to him the sun is rising ahead of another beautiful day! he would advise them that one is not looking at the whole picture, as it will not be here for too long and the need to prepare for all the darkness that is sure to follow!

Good on you though ramot:notworthy:

Melbourne certainly has its problems - I am surprised at how run-down many of its trendy suburbs look. However, I am also stunned at the cultural scene. I was always told that Melbourne was a more active centre culturally than Sydney but I'm only now realising what a big difference there is. I suppose, due to the weather, Melbournites have to find more interesting things to do indoors! I am absolutely spoiled for choice. Plus it's so great to see the long lines of thriving shops in the inner city suburbs.

I am still in the honeymoon phase of course, and having just come from the cultural wasteland of Southampton perhaps I am easily impressed...

So is Melbourne it for you Marisa? Have you made the decision to stay? I must admit if I was arriving again I would definitely pick Melbourne over Sydney. It doesn't have the wow factor but in many other ways it seems to be a much more liveable place.

At the end of the day it's finding a listener to ones life tales, I would suggest. Many want to impress, dare I say exaggerate but far fewer want to listen. War tales were a favourite big turn off for many, apart from those that participated I imagine.

I fully endorse though must live the day, not sure about as like the last on earth, nor has it to be about excitement of course, but finding a sense of serenity within one self, to which that would include not bothering too much what others may think of you. (if they bother to think at all, of course)

I as wrote early. One doesn't always have to be in a state of 'smiley face' laughter you call it. There are times when issues need be discussed, without being labelled whinging. The smileys can be kept for farcebook of course, the home of such irrelevant offerings.

I hope you have a totally enjoyable lunch and behave disgustingly after a few bottles of chardonnay.

I believe that flag would, when someone says to him the sun is rising ahead of another beautiful day! he would advise them that one is not looking at the whole picture, as it will not be here for too long and the need to prepare for all the darkness that is sure to follow!

Good on you though ramot:notworthy:

My man, looking at the sun is never a wise feat and will confirm falling eyesight, long before any other measure of self abuse. You really will need to view the moon at its various stages to get a broader picture of the pattern. Fact being night follows day. If happiness was a constant state, how on earth would be know when we are happy?

I leave you pondering those questions for the moment.

So is Melbourne it for you Marisa? Have you made the decision to stay? I must admit if I was arriving again I would definitely pick Melbourne over Sydney. It doesn't have the wow factor but in many other ways it seems to be a much more liveable place.

You're right, Sydney has that effortless gorgeousness with its vaulting blue skies, tropical flowers in the gardens, brightly coloured lorikeets, beautiful beaches. But then, that's what makes my husband come out in a rash so I've had to wave that goodbye! Melbourne is not a pretty city but it seems to have more substance so for day-to-day living, yes I think it's better (at least for someone like me who loves the performing arts).

I'd be happy to settle in Melbourne. The cost of housing is still higher than I'm happy with, so I still wish we'd given Hobart a try - a bit less on the cultural scene perhaps but we'd have been able to afford a very comfortable home near the centre to make the most of what is there. However my oh has ruled it out. I just wish he'd make his mind up where he does want to be - at this rate I'll be 90 before I have a home of my own again. :arghh:

Edited by Marisawright

After Southampton, Perth would have likely had you leaping in sheer amazement at the vitality so I'll allow the comparison though and play a straight bat.

I was speaking with a youngish fellow in the arts world recently whom moved to Perth due to the jaded scene in Melbourne and finds Perth a far more refreshing scene and open to new ideas. His pal, from Perth, but lived in Melbourne, fully endorsed the concept discussed.

Still I concur. Melbourne, would likely be the sole centre within Australia to fulfil a lot of those missing links, that enable an urban wholesomeness, not easily obtainable in other Australian cities, if at all possible.

The question of liveability in Melbourne, I suspect will feature ever more strongly, with such crowding, competition and dare I say desirability, certainly if present course is maintained.

My man, looking at the sun is never a wise feat and will confirm falling eyesight, long before any other measure of self abuse. You really will need to view the moon at its various stages to get a broader picture of the pattern. Fact being night follows day. If happiness was a constant state, how on earth would be know when we are happy?

I leave you pondering those questions for the moment.

Well flag seen as you like the cosmos, I heard on the TV last night that you can now buy tickets, not to the moon but to Mars! I do hope you are interested?........................by the way did I forget to mention these they did advise that these would be one way tickets only?

As an aside, I would like to be the last man on Earth though, just to see if all those girls meant what they used to say to me!

The question of liveability in Melbourne, I suspect will feature ever more strongly, with such crowding, competition and dare I say desirability, certainly if present course is maintained.

After the south of England, Melbourne does not feel in the least bit crowded.

As I get older, I have less and less interest in the avant garde so a lack of new ideas in Melbourne is unlikely to be an issue...

Edited by Marisawright

At the end of the day it's finding a listener to ones life tales, I would suggest. Many want to impress, dare I say exaggerate but far fewer want to listen. War tales were a favourite big turn off for many, apart from those that participated I imagine.

I fully endorse though must live the day, not sure about as like the last on earth, nor has it to be about excitement of course, but finding a sense of serenity within one self, to which that would include not bothering too much what others may think of you. (if they bother to think at all, of course)

I as wrote early. One doesn't always have to be in a state of 'smiley face' laughter you call it. There are times when issues need be discussed, without being labelled whinging. The smileys can be kept for farcebook of course, the home of such irrelevant offerings.

I hope you have a totally enjoyable lunch and behave disgustingly after a few bottles of chardonnay.

Actually mostly champagne as several of us have birthdays to celebrate, thanks for the good wishes.

I feel among some I've known a tendency towards a greater degree of social isolation with the march of time. That can of course be through choice and nothing wrong with that, as long as that is what the individual desires.

I like to think in a similar position, I'd have done the trip back to UK, as who knows how much longer that option may be possible? Not necessary to see relatives, but to undertake my own little adventure and to reacquaint. In my view it promotes an interest outside of the daily routine, which can be a factor, even a comfort as we age, perhaps at times without us even realising it.

I went to visit some of my favourite place in May 2015. Maybe next year again. I'm in no rush.

..........retirement.....

..........is surely only considered when your no longer able to do all the things you want to do....

..........no longer going to work just means you have more time to do them...!

I always thought retirement was when you stopped doing the things you HAVE to do, so you can spend more time doing the things you LIKE to do.

I'd like to think that most people already live somewhere that allows them to do what they LIKE to do in their free time - so when they retire it's just a case of switching over - but I'm always surprised how many people slog away in a place where they can't do the things they like, and therefore a move in retirement is necessary.

.........to me retirement is when your left with less choice of what you want to do.....

.........while your able to do the things your like....

.........its just the next stage of life.....to be lived to the full...!

I'm afraid I detest the term' live life to the full'. It has similarity with the constant pressure to act busy all the time. Somehow this is supposed to give validity to life. Insane I suggest. Just gobble gook of this century.

The term I prefer is to live life as one see's fitting. If that involves sitting by the fire place reading all the works of literature one has missed out on or simply reading thrash novels so be it. Retirement should be the time to choice and not having that time dictated by outside concerns.

Well flag seen as you like the cosmos, I heard on the TV last night that you can now buy tickets, not to the moon but to Mars! I do hope you are interested?........................by the way did I forget to mention these they did advise that these would be one way tickets only?

As an aside, I would like to be the last man on Earth though, just to see if all those girls meant what they used to say to me!

No I'll stick with climbing onto the roof and howling at the moon, I think is about as far in orbit I wish to go.

You know you might get lucky. I suspect long before the last man event women will be coupling primary with themselves. Hence being the last chance salon in a matter of speaking, you may well prove an object of curiosity. Women may well avail themselves and more than likely voice astonishment, not to say horror, that their sisters from another age, somehow found such activity rewarding, even fun.

After the south of England, Melbourne does not feel in the least bit crowded.

As I get older, I have less and less interest in the avant garde so a lack of new ideas in Melbourne is unlikely to be an issue...

Time will be the best judge. I agree though the so called avant garde is more often than not something rehashed in a fresh package. Each generation will continue to reinvent the wheel.