To move back to UK or not

Franklin05

Just found out about Move Cube on another thread, looks and sounds good, I think we will sell most furniture etc. Have tired to get a quote just now, but the site is not responding. Good hear that you are doing so well back in the UK and found work so easily, give me hope! Out of all the brits we met upon moving out here, we are only one of two couples to struggle with work etc. The other couple had to go back due to visa restrictions are now trying to get back in through NZ.

Why don't you start the job search from Australia and see how you get on? With a job to go to you won't need as much money behind you as a cushion. We also succeeded in getting permanent jobs in the UK whilst we were still in Australia, two telephone interviews and job offer in bag.

Why don't you start the job search from Australia and see how you get on? With a job to go to you won't need as much money behind you as a cushion. We also succeeded in getting permanent jobs in the UK whilst we were still in Australia, two telephone interviews and job offer in bag.

Definitely something we are considering. I will talk more with my husband and see how he feels about it. Though we have just signed a tenancy agreement on a new rental here, so not sure how easy and costly that is to get out of, and he is enjoying his current job (contracted for two years) which is a slight carer redirection for him, so might be worth sticking with. Almost sounds like I am backing out of moving back to the UK, I'm not, just need to consider what is best for us all not just my immediate desire. We will be moving back sooner or later, but this has been helpful as it's given me a lot more to think about. At least I now know I'm heading in the right direction though. I don't feel quite so lost! Thank you

I want to go back to Leicester, there must be something wrong with me!

:laugh:

I would very happily move to Leicester - not my home town but went to uni there and lived there for many years afterward until we moved to Oz. The city has a huge amount going for it. Central, easy to travel to other areas, some amazing countryside including the National Forest. Great market for food. A city that is big enough without being too big. Great parks.

one of the things that makes me laugh is that here in Windsor, a 2 up 2 down terrace sells for about £700k because it is in commuting distance of London. But, I can buy a better one in a good area of Leicester for a fraction of that and the train from Leicester to London is quicker than Windsor

I would very happily move to Leicester - not my home town but went to uni there and lived there for many years afterward until we moved to Oz. The city has a huge amount going for it. Central, easy to travel to other areas, some amazing countryside including the National Forest. Great market for food. A city that is big enough without being too big. Great parks.

one of the things that makes me laugh is that here in Windsor, a 2 up 2 down terrace sells for about £700k because it is in commuting distance of London. But, I can buy a better one in a good area of Leicester for a fraction of that and the train from Leicester to London is quicker than Windsor

Problem is to commute from the midlands will cost about 10k a year.

Same for me, went to Leicester uni and stayed there.

We used to live in Anstey, five minutes from brad gate park.

If you can bag something from Oz then great. The other option is to get some temp work when you land in the UK until you land something in your field. In my experience, whenever Ive needed a 'pay the bills' type job for whatever reason, as long as youre not fussy you'll get something pretty quickly. Data Entry, warehouse work that kind of stuff.

We were in the UK for a few months in the summer and I got some order picking work in a warehouse starting the day after I registered with an agency. Scoring this type of work in Australia however, in my experience, different story. They would demand you have a 'ticket' for this, that and the other and previous Aussie work experience in that field, even for low skilled temp work. very frustrating IMO.

Anyway to the OP, best of luck, it sounds like youre mind is made up and I would get yourselves back to good old UK pronto. For what its worth in our visit over the summer we were surprised at how buoyant the UK job market seemed to be and everyone seemed to be doing just fine :cool:

I want to go back to Leicester, there must be something wrong with me!

:laugh:

I'm a Leicester lass (and a City fan :wink:). I've been in Adelaide for 7 years now and I have my citizenship-but I'm looking to move back soon.

I feel like most people who decide to go back, that it's a combination of things or rather an accumulation of things when finally the thought pops into your head and you don't try and quieten it anymore. That's when I knew I wanted to go back.

I'm not bagging Australia AT ALL - Adelaide is a brilliant city, great beaches, markets, wine regions etc etc, but I realise it's not enough for me anymore - at least not right now.

I'm not ashamed to say that I miss the football (especially last year!) I also miss my birthday being in the summer, cold Christmases, TK Maxx (yes really) country pubs etc etc.

But apart from all that, I think most people's reasons are around family. I'm 46 and have no kids of my own, but I'm very close to my sister's 4 girls. When I moved here the oldest was nervous about starting secondary school. When I went back in August she was talking to me about what unis she's applying for.

I went back in August (my 4th trip home in 7 years) because my sister now has breast cancer. While there I talked to my dad about his health and how he's recovering from his heart attack (and who City need to buy this season!) I have no idea what's going to happen health wise with my family, but I'd rather be a drive away and not a 36 hour journey that will clean me out of savings every time.

I'm not looking at it as 'going back' I'm looking at it 'what's next?' A new town (I won't be going back to Leicester) a new job, new local football team to start supporting, taking my nieces out for day trips and having them visit for weekends.

I look at it by treating it the same was as when I came over. It'll be an adventure, both good and bad I know, but after my recent trip back to Leicesterhsire I realise that there are far worse places to be going back to.

All I need is a job.....:skeptical:

Now if I could just get my fellow Brits to give a crap about litter!!!! :arghh:

Archived