Will our children be happy?

Missingtheseasons

The weather in the UK isn't bad at all. I certainly didn't move to Australia for the weather - that's laughable. Because of the longer school holidays here at Christmas, I used to go back to Scotland with my two lads at that time of year. The weather never kept them indoors and they were often found playing football with the boys from the village in all sorts of weather. The cold certainly didn't stop them from going outside for a good part of the day exploring the local woods and fields. One of them is now working in Ireland and he never comments on the weather so I'm supposing it's not bad at all - he is a vet and works outdoors a lot of the time.

I find the weather here to be fine, the summers are warm and the winters generally mild. It's why I get annoyed when for instance someone on here said they were literally stuck inside for 9 months of the year and when I questioned it THEY were supported in their view lol.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were warned people wouldn't be that friendly, where does this nonsense come from ? I have read on here a couple of times how everyone is so miserable in the UK but we see no evidence of it. It seems to be people wanting to make themselves feel good about their decision. We have certainly found the exact opposite, people around here are very friendly and welcoming.

Yes but how often have you read on this forum about how hard it is to make new friends in Australia? I have never found it hard to make friends here.

I find the weather here to be fine, the summers are warm and the winters generally mild. It's why I get annoyed when for instance someone on here said they were literally stuck inside for 9 months of the year and when I questioned it THEY were supported in their view lol.

Some people just aren't outdoors people. No weather keeps me cooped up indoors and believe me, we've had some pretty dire weather this last winter. On the other hand, I don't hide from the sun in the summer either. As I said a lot of people aren't lovers of the outdoors.

I imagine there are micro-cultures and micro-climates all around the place. But I think (as an outsider) many people in the UK tend to understate the weather-- is it something they've been conditioned to do? Or maybe we've just arrived as climate change has started to kick in, who knows, but I'm not complaining. We did leave our fans behind because I said we probably won't need it. Three weeks later we were buying fans here. When I was here in the UK some twenty plus years ago visiting from the US East coast, my friends and I had a laugh because the trains were cancelled due to snow. There was all of an inch on the ground! And I have to say that I've never felt so cold during a winter as when I first arrived in Sydney to an apartment that had no heating whatsoever. We've enjoyed reverse cycle heating since then but just before we left this winter we stayed with various friends and it was a reminder that there are still a lot of people who don't. We had space heaters following us from one room to another, and tough luck if you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I know it's only for 3 months, and these days maybe less, but brrrr is all I can say.

On a slightly different note, I was looking at Rightmove and saw a 'Happy places to live' survey and Troon in Scotland was ranked Nbr 2. Newsflash: It is possible to be happy in Scotland! :) I know surveys can be biased, but a city like Chicago can be pretty brutal with its seasons, and don't think it will be a ghost town anytime soon. So maybe it's the people that make a place, not just the weather :)

Some people just aren't outdoors people. No weather keeps me cooped up indoors and believe me, we've had some pretty dire weather this last winter. On the other hand, I don't hide from the sun in the summer either. As I said a lot of people aren't lovers of the outdoors.

Yes I agree totally but it was said by someone who was looking forward to being able to get outside all the time rather than being cooped up for 9 months of the year, her words.

We had just short of a month in the UK and Europe earlier this year and the weather was fantastic, certainly not what we expected and made our stay more enjoyable.

Cal x

When I spoke to my Mum recently she said oh I hear you are having a terrible summer, that was news to us I can tell you lol

Cal, now I don't get that, why wasn't it what you expected ?

When I spoke to my Mum recently she said oh I hear you are having a terrible summer, that was news to us I can tell you lol

Cal, now I don't get that, why wasn't it what you expected ?

I've been hearing quite the opposite. From sister-in-law in Hertford enjoying the warms sunny weather you've been experiencing lately to pals in Scotland enjoying nice weather too. No word of terrible summer.

How on Earth could anyone seriously compare Scotland and Queensland, and decide to move to Scotland ? The mind boggles. Why not move south to SEQ, where a) you can swim in the sea b) it's warm but dry, c) no crocs and there's a lot more city to enjoy, as well as plenty of country.

How on Earth could anyone seriously compare Scotland and Queensland, and decide to move to Scotland ? The mind boggles

Whatever floats your boat!

Adults make adult decisions according to their own requirements, aims, ambitions, standards.

No point judging others based on your own set of rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How on Earth could anyone seriously compare Scotland and Queensland, and decide to move to Scotland ? The mind boggles. Why not move south to SEQ, where a) you can swim in the sea b) it's warm but dry, c) no crocs and there's a lot more city to enjoy, as well as plenty of country.

I don't know, perhaps not obsessed with the beach and sunshine ?

Just to get back to the original question for a minute a child's happiness isn't defined by the country they are in but the life they lead. School and friends will play a major part in how they are feeling and they could be happy as larry one year then the following year end up in a class full of kids they don't like and/or fall out with friends or have them move away and then be miserable. All without you moving anywhere. Make the move and if your kids aren't happy then find ways of helping them.

I think it is very simplistic to say kids will be happy where their parents are - I think it is true to say if parents are unhappy it is unlikely the children will be but I do not think the reverse necessarily plays out.

That may be true for some children but not all - my son at 5 was adamant he didn't want to go to Australia, refused to like anything from Day 1 - the fact we ended up returning is not relevant here, anyone that's known me since the start of our journey, knows we were perfectly happy for a long time. If anything our sons refusal to accept Australia and anything Australian had a slight bearing on us returning (I doubt I would have if he'd been happy)

Not that it has anything to do with the weather, proximity of the beach, lakes or mountains or any other 'lifestyle' factors, I believe it is much more to do with identity and belonging and even with years of training in Child Psychology I did not expect my son to respond they way he did.

Children's doubts/fears/feelings need to be taken seriously - although as adults you make the choices based on what is best for the family as a whole - a bit of emotional distress in childhood is character building :)

Our kids were perfectly happy in Australia, they had known no different of course. Their input was taken into account when we decided to make the move, they didn't have the casting vote of course but their opinion was important. We are a very close loving family and I think that goes a long way in smoothing the waters for the kids. Asia turned out they love it here.

I think it is very simplistic to say kids will be happy where their parents are - I think it is true to say if parents are unhappy it is unlikely the children will be but I do not think the reverse necessarily plays out.

That may be true for some children but not all - my son at 5 was adamant he didn't want to go to Australia, refused to like anything from Day 1 - the fact we ended up returning is not relevant here, anyone that's known me since the start of our journey, knows we were perfectly happy for a long time. If anything our sons refusal to accept Australia and anything Australian had a slight bearing on us returning (I doubt I would have if he'd been happy)

Not that it has anything to do with the weather, proximity of the beach, lakes or mountains or any other 'lifestyle' factors, I believe it is much more to do with identity and belonging and even with years of training in Child Psychology I did not expect my son to respond they way he did.

Children's doubts/fears/feelings need to be taken seriously - although as adults you make the choices based on what is best for the family as a whole - a bit of emotional distress in childhood is character building :)

The above statement is almost Orwellian. If kids are unlikely to be happy if their parents are unhappy then they are likelier to be happier if they are in a stable and content home where the parents are happy.

Though you believe, looking back, that you were initially happy living in Australia it is possible, is it not, that the happiness was at least relative to the later unhappiness you felt there. A child can pick up on these signals.

Children are much more adaptable than adults and very young children, more so. Often a displaced child, once they become an adult, starts to concern themselves with feelings of belonging and identity but for a very young child to have and retain these feelings indicates that there were subtle signals being picked up within the family unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Ive been in Australia a decade and for a couple of years have been wondering about moving back. I have enjoyed things about aus - the blue skies and open spaces. But there are things I haven't liked. I'm actually not too fond of brisbanites. Very perochial uncultured and unintellectual. Men and women separating at bbqs (what's that about?) women obsessed with crochet. 10 mins of sports at every news bulletin My brain is dying. Give me radio 4 and a good debate. Give me decent newspapers. History. Europe. Theatre. Not feeling like life is happening somewhere else. Holidays that don't have to involve surfing.