How do you exchange your money when holidaying back in the UK?

QLD1872015

Any help is appreciated ☺️

We, like many others, kept our UK bank account (along with its debit card), so we can if needed transfer money into that. If you have not got a UK bank is there a family member or friend whose account you could use ( we do reverse of that for folk coming out to OZ). One other option is a travel card from you bank here in OZ or the post office one.

We also, for a back-up and emergencies, have a 28deg credit card for when we travel overseas, generally it has a better exchange rate and fees than most banks, we have a limit of $5000 to reduce risk, and we can top up over the net if needed.

We, like many others, kept our UK bank account (along with its debit card), so we can if needed transfer money into that. If you have not got a UK bank is there a family member or friend whose account you could use ( we do reverse of that for folk coming out to OZ). One other option is a travel card from you bank here in OZ or the post office one.

We also, for a back-up and emergencies, have a 28deg credit card for when we travel overseas, generally it has a better exchange rate and fees than most banks, we have a limit of $5000 to reduce risk, and we can top up over the net if needed.

i think I last checked in 2013 and it was open. Is that the easiest way to do it? I know they wouldn't send me out a new card over the phone so I'm not sure there is much point trying to reopen it if it's closed due to the short time we are back

We keep UK accounts active and if need be transfer funds over when we visit.

If you don't have that option then look into one of the pre loaded cards or some such perhaps?

We keep UK accounts active and if need be transfer funds over when we visit.

If you don't have that option then look into one of the pre loaded cards or some such perhaps?

Thank you

i think I last checked in 2013 and it was open. Is that the easiest way to do it? I know they wouldn't send me out a new card over the phone so I'm not sure there is much point trying to reopen it if it's closed due to the short time we are back

It could well be closed due to inactivity, and they could not contact you at the last address they had on their records. You could when you do go back call in to your bank and discuss with them, no good for this visit but may help future trips, having your uk bank active is also Handy for when you want to send presents and the like for family/friends left in the UK when buying uk goods over the net.

However for this trip as said before can you use a family/friends account? otherwise the preloaded travel cards from banks/post office.

It could well be closed due to inactivity, and they could not contact you at the last address they had on their records. You could when you do go back call in to your bank and discuss with them, no good for this visit but may help future trips, having your uk bank active is also Handy for when you want to send presents and the like for family/friends left in the UK when buying uk goods over the net.

However for this trip as said before can you use a family/friends account? otherwise the preloaded travel cards from banks/post office.

Probably the case, Im going to contact them when they open today. Thank you, the post office card looks like a good option

Probably the case, Im going to contact them when they open today. Thank you, the post office card looks like a good option

Not wanting to put a damper on your endeavors, but contacting by phone can be very problematic, besides not actually getting your branch, they could want your phone banking passwords and other security questions, such as address and details of last transactions. I have had my account blocked before for not satisfying security when contacting by phone and we are regular user of the account.

Maybe best let sleeping dogs lie until you can humanize things.

Any help is appreciated ☺️

Don't bother. I would use an old UK account to get cash out but for most things, as I would anywhere else, I use my normal debit and credit cards that work just the same wherever I am.

Don't bother. I would use an old UK account to get cash out but for most things, as I would anywhere else, I use my normal debit and credit cards that work just the same wherever I am.

Foreign Exchange Fees are the downside of using most Australian cards.

From personal experience I would suggest that you stay away from the pre-loaded cards from Australia Post and Travelex. I have had both in the past and they are an absolute pain... both got blocked for some stupid reason on my last but one visit to UK and although I had pre-loaded sufficient cash for the holiday between the two, trying to get them released so I could draw the cash was a long and stressful nightmare each time and resulted in friends in Eire and UK loaning me money until I could sort the mess out when I got back to Australia. Totally ruined the laid back aspect of my holiday. Last time I travelled I did it the old fashioned way with some Australian Dollars in notes, and used my Mastercard Debit Card to draw down on my account from an ATM. Comparing the stress issues and costs of both methods.... I will never use a preloaded card again... too much hassle when it goes wrong and the stress of being without money is out of this world. Initially I thought it was just me being a bit precious about this, but in the last few years I talked to so many family and friends who have had the same issue. My view only though and I am sure there are others who have had good experiences.

They were very helpful on the phone allowing me to apply for a new account as mine was closed april this year however it was declined maybe because an old mobile phone bill I stupidly left behind in the UK. They couldn't tell me why but I provided a UK address. Might just have to withdraw some cash and convert it when I arrive or use my Aussie card as suggested. Thanks guys

There will always be fees for exchanging money. I don't know why people over complicate this for sake of a few dollars.

If you are on holiday overseas for a month or more you can pay a lot in fees which are avoidable if you use the right card.

Surprised to hear you talk like that given you are an accountant you should be across this.

Open an account with Citibank. Check the conditions because they do change, but our account allowed us to withdraw money at ATM's anywhere in Europe or the UK, without any fees. We thought the exchange rate would be higher to compensate for the lack of fees, but it was actually about the same as we got with Moneycorp.

If you are on holiday overseas for a month or more you can pay a lot in fees which are avoidable if you use the right card.

Surprised to hear you talk like that given you are an accountant you should be across this.

Yes very surprised, maybe a rich accountant? The OP would not have posted in the first place if not concerned about fees and exchange rates!

I wonder if anyone has any experience using the Qantas Cash facility which is a feature of the Qantas Frequent Flyer card.

I have used it as a cash card in Australia. The reason being if you load cash onto it and then use it in shops to pay you get Qantas FF points.

I would try it when I go overseas but haven't had the opportunity yet. There are 10 or so different currencies you can load onto it.

They were very helpful on the phone allowing me to apply for a new account as mine was closed april this year however it was declined maybe because an old mobile phone bill I stupidly left behind in the UK. They couldn't tell me why but I provided a UK address. Might just have to withdraw some cash and convert it when I arrive or use my Aussie card as suggested. Thanks guys

You have received some good advice from seasoned travelers but you appear to be opting for the, lets say, worst options??? Cash will give you the poorest exchange rates, as will using your Aus credit/debit card.

I wonder if anyone has any experience using the Qantas Cash facility which is a feature of the Qantas Frequent Flyer card.

I have used it as a cash card in Australia. The reason being if you load cash onto it and then use it in shops to pay you get Qantas FF points.

I would try it when I go overseas but haven't had the opportunity yet. There are 10 or so different currencies you can load onto it.

Just the same as a pre loaded travel card I suppose, however my experience with these types of card (my Comm Bank one) when loading more than one currency became a real pain, and had similar problems as Rossmoyne posted, however worked fine on a single currency. But the experience has steered me away from them and hence my 28 deg credit card I have now.

Yes I have a 28 deg credit card too.

That is fine for most things but not for withdrawing cash from atm's. You probably need a debit card too.

Never had a problem withdrawing cash from ATM's, it is just that now there is a fee to pay even if you are in credit, though this fee and exchange rates are still way better than my Aus bank ones.

.......brilliant ime

........and a good way to build points

Never had a problem withdrawing cash from ATM's, it is just that now there is a fee to pay even if you are in credit, though this fee and exchange rates are still way better than my Aus bank ones.

What I might do is have the 28 degree Credit card and also open a Citibank Plus transaction account which doesn't charge fees for withdrawing cash at international atms.

It depends how much of a tight ar5e you are and how determined you are to avoid fees.

What I might do is have the 28 degree Credit card and also open a Citibank Plus transaction account which doesn't charge fees for withdrawing cash at international atms.

It depends how much of a tight ar5e you are and how determined you are to avoid fees.

The Citibank Plus card worked brilliantly for us. We got a good exchange rate everywhere and no fees.

Archived