Thinking about a move to oz

Sarahawayfromhome

Hi everyone,

I have just started looking into apossible relocation to Australia.

I am 32 and my partner 42, with two kids age 3 and 4 months. I work in hospitality (restaurant/bar/guest house) management and my partner in sales.

I think I am going to have to go for employer nomination scheme but reall baggled

by how much I am reading and getting confused!

Any tips to help me get started would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

sarah

As others have said, you need to have an occupation that's on the list of occupations they want.

If it's on the SOL, then you can apply for a skilled visa immediately for yourself and your family, you don't need an employer to sponsor you.

If it's on the CSOL then you need to get sponsorship, either from a state or from an employer. If you can get state sponsorship that's better, because you just have to work in that state but you can work for any employer.

If you can't get state sponsorship then you'll have to find an employer willing to sponsor you. It is possible to get employer sponsorship but it is hard. After all, why should an employer be willing to hire someone from overseas, fill in a mountain of paperwork, and then have the job sitting vacant for months until all the application goes through? Most employers would just "make do" with a second-rate local candidate who can start next month, frankly. If there's a desperate shortage of people with your skills, employers will do it - but I don't know what the situation is with bar managers.

If you're not on either list, then the only way to get to Australia is to re-train in an occupation that IS on the list. Once qualified, you'll then need to get a few years' experience under your belt in that field, too. But be aware that the list changes - so by the time you've done all that, you might find that occupation isn't on the list any more.

I know it's frustrating but the thing is, Australia doesn't need more people in general - it's quite happy with its population size! What it needs are people who can fill shortages in their workforce. If you're not able to do that, then unfortunately it may not be possible to migrate.

Edited by Marisawright

What the others have said, if your trade or skill isn't on the list, then you won't qualify for a visa. Check those out first and see if you have a possible starting point. If unsure or you want a professional opinion, consult a reputable MARA registered migration agent to look over your case. They should be able to tell you if you'd qualify or fall short.

As others have said, you need to have an occupation that's on the list of occupations they want.

If it's on the SOL, then you can apply for a skilled visa immediately for yourself and your family, you don't need an employer to sponsor you.

If it's on the CSOL then you need to get sponsorship, either from a state or from an employer. If you can get state sponsorship that's better, because you just have to work in that state but you can work for any employer.

If you can't get state sponsorship then you'll have to find an employer willing to sponsor you. It is possible to get employer sponsorship but it is hard. After all, why should an employer be willing to hire someone from overseas, fill in a mountain of paperwork, and then have the job sitting vacant for months until all the application goes through? Most employers would just "make do" with a second-rate local candidate who can start next month, frankly. If there's a desperate shortage of people with your skills, employers will do it - but I don't know what the situation is with bar managers.

If you're not on either list, then the only way to get to Australia is to re-train in an occupation that IS on the list. Once qualified, you'll then need to get a few years' experience under your belt in that field, too. But be aware that the list changes - so by the time you've done all that, you might find that occupation isn't on the list any more.

I know it's frustrating but the thing is, Australia doesn't need more people in general - it's quite happy with its population size! What it needs are people who can fill shortages in their workforce. If you're not able to do that, then unfortunately it may not be possible to migrate.

Thanks! It's on the CSOL, I have worked as backpacker a few years back and my sister is currently a perm res in Sydney. I may try a few contacts first to see if I can get employer directly, but if not will look at state sponsorship can I choose which state?) I think I will need to contact chains of bars/restaurants as they are more likely to have more than one manager and won't necessarily be waiting about for my application.

Thanks again.

What the others have said, if your trade or skill isn't on the list, then you won't qualify for a visa. Check those out first and see if you have a possible starting point. If unsure or you want a professional opinion, consult a reputable MARA registered migration agent to look over your case. They should be able to tell you if you'd qualify or fall short.

Thanks, it's on CSOL, and points should be around the 70. Lots of researching today!!

The first thing is to see if any states are sponsoring. If you copy the line from the csol with the number on the right hand side and put it into Google, look for the result that comes up "anzco search". This will tell you if anyone is sponsoring. Or post on here and I will do it for you.

Be be aware that states often impose special conditions on state sponsorship.

If no states are sponsoring, then be very careful of employer sponsored. Normally, this is a 457 visa. This is a temporary visa for up to 4 years with no automatic path to stay beyond. It also has a number of draw backs such as:

A lot of states charge temporary residents for education - this can be thousands per year.

You are not entitled to any benefits such as child care or social security.

If you lose your job, you only have 90 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor or leave the country. Note, not every company can sponsor.

Partners of 457 holders can have difficulties finding work because they are only in the country temporary and their long term future is not in their hands.

• 4 weeks later...
The first thing is to see if any states are sponsoring. If you copy the line from the csol with the number on the right hand side and put it into Google, look for the result that comes up "anzco search". This will tell you if anyone is sponsoring. Or post on here and I will do it for you.

Be be aware that states often impose special conditions on state sponsorship.

If no states are sponsoring, then be very careful of employer sponsored. Normally, this is a 457 visa. This is a temporary visa for up to 4 years with no automatic path to stay beyond. It also has a number of draw backs such as:

A lot of states charge temporary residents for education - this can be thousands per year.

You are not entitled to any benefits such as child care or social security.

If you lose your job, you only have 90 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor or leave the country. Note, not every company can sponsor.

Partners of 457 holders can have difficulties finding work because they are only in the country temporary and their long term future is not in their hands.

Hi!

S.a seems to be sponsoring however, if I find an employer somewhere else is this still an option?

Hi!

S.a seems to be sponsoring however, if I find an employer somewhere else is this still an option?

If SA are sponsoring AND you can pass the special conditions, which are not easy, then and SA sponsored visa would be far the best option. If you can obtain a 190 state sponsored visa you can work anywhere and for any employer.

If you go for a employer sponsored visa, then all of the negatives i posted above would apply.

If SA are sponsoring AND you can pass the special conditions, which are not easy, then and SA sponsored visa would be far the best option. If you can obtain a 190 state sponsored visa you can work anywhere and for any employer.

If you go for a employer sponsored visa, then all of the negatives i posted above would apply.

Thanks ?

perhaps I'm being a numpty but what are the 'special' conditions you talk of?

perhaps I'm being a numpty but what are the 'special' conditions you talk of?

If there are special conditions required for the sponsorship, then this typically means family in the state, a job offer in the state or a very high points score.

Have you looked into skills assessment for your occupation? To be honest, I think it is very unlikely that this is an occupation you will be able to emigrate through. Have you looked into your husband as main applicant?

If there are special conditions required for the sponsorship, then this typically means family in the state, a job offer in the state or a very high points score.

Have you looked into skills assessment for your occupation? To be honest, I think it is very unlikely that this is an occupation you will be able to emigrate through. Have you looked into your husband as main applicant?

There doesn't appear to be special conditions listed, although it is

on low demand seems to be a general occupation requiring vetassess skills test (if this new language in talking bout is making any sense?)

on low demand seems to be a general occupation requiring vetassess skills test (if this new language in talking bout is making any sense?)

Cafe / restaurant manager only has a condition attached that you will need to prove competent English via one of the English tests such as ILETS. But most people need this for points anyway.

The he skills assessment is something everyone has to do. It is basically proving your skills, experience and qualifications are at the required level.

My my advice would be to speak to a good migration agent. Most will do an initial consultation for free.

Well it is good that there are no special conditions. To pass a skills assessment you need a diploma (or higher) in a relevant field or if it is not in a relevant field then any diploma with extra work experience to pass skills assessment. Do you have this?

Edited by Bungo

Well it is good that there are no special conditions. To pass a skills assessment you need a diploma (or higher) in a relevant field or if it is not in a relevant field then any diploma with extra work experience to pass skills assessment. Do you have this?

By diploma would that cover a masters in the field? Well it is actually an unfinished masters so classes as a post grad dimple a I think as I didn't want to write a thesis! I also have 10 years experience, although it is working (manager) for a family owned restaurant and bar complex.

I really don't think a skills assessment should be a problem but am finding this initial process like a foreign language!!

By diploma would that cover a masters in the field? Well it is actually an unfinished masters so classes as a post grad dimple a I think !!

A diploma is a diploma. An unfinished course does not count, even if it's at a higher level. I suggest you look into getting the masters formally recognised as a diploma if that's possible because otherwise it's unlikely to be considered. Bottom line is that the requirements are the requirements, you can't offer substitutes.

Also, if there's a requirement for experience, it has to be AFTER you obtained the qualification, not before.

A diploma is a diploma. An unfinished course does not count, even if it's at a higher level. I suggest you look into getting the masters formally recognised as a diploma if that's possible because otherwise it's unlikely to be considered. Bottom line is that the requirements are the requirements, you can't offer substitutes.

Also, if there's a requirement for experience, it has to be AFTER you obtained the qualification, not before.

Thanks ?