Visa for widowed mother (I'm the only child)

anshuman2707

Hi all,

I am presently in India and plan to move to Australia on PR. My wife will move in as the dependent once I land a job there (I am the primary applicant). Searched a lot of threads but didn't find anyone with exact same situation as me.

My query is about my mother. My mother's situation:

-71 years old

-widowed

-I am the only child

-she has always stayed with me

-she has mild hypertension (blood pressure) since 30 years, but regular medication keeps it under control. General health is good otherwise.

-dependent on us financially and emotionally

I hope to bring my mother on contributory (aged) parent or visitor (read:ANY) category visa as soon as I start my job in Australia. Income requirements should be met, as I expect to earn in the range of AUD 130-150K.

Queries on parent visa:

-is it possible to get a visa for my mother while I am in India, so that I am sure she would be moving with us?

-else, how soon can I apply for my mother's visa once I start my job in Australia (ideally within 2 months?) which visa?

-is there a quota/window or I can apply any time of the year?

-her brother and sisters (my uncle and aunts) would be her only ties to India if she moves to Australia. Is it a problem in case of a visitor visa or contributory parent visa?

-would her age or health (hypertension) be a deterrent for grant of visa?

-would I get a private medical insurance (if needed) considering her age and medical history? any indications on how much would it cost?

-if she is visiting on a tourist visa, what is the maximum length of stay before she can visit us back? (worst case scenario)

If contributory or visitor visas don't work out, what are the other options (including humanitarian or compassionate grounds, or bringing her to Australia while waiting for other visa to process)? I am ready to bear her medical insurance costs if needed, as my wife would also work. I don't want my mother to be alone in India.

Ideally, I would want that my mother can travel together with my wife to Australia within 2-3 months of my landing. Apologies for the long post - but if my mother can't join us in Australia, we don't move to Australia : )

Regards,

A concerned son

If your mother is dependent on you then she could have been included on your visa as a dependent same as spouse and children. Speak to an agent it may not be too late.

Thanks for the quick replies! I have not applied yet, but wanted to be sure before applying. So this is great news! If my mother can get a PR along with myself and my wife, nothing better!

With how much certainty can we say she will get the PR as my dependent, given her age, health and no other ties to India?

Also, any specific documentation required to prove she is dependent on me?

Thanks for the quick replies! I have not applied yet, but wanted to be sure before applying. So this is great news! If my mother can get a PR along with myself and my wife, nothing better!

With how much certainty can we say she will get the PR as my dependent, given her age, health and no other ties to India?

Also, any specific documentation required to prove she is dependent on me?

Your application will not be straight forward and you should appoint a good registered migration agent. If you look at the post above from Wrussel, he is a highly regarded agent and his contact details are in his signature.

I can't imagine it's easy getting your mum a PR on your visa as otherwise everyone would try that. I'm struggling to think how she can be a dependant on your visa. If a 'child' of 19 can't get on their parents visa how can a parent?

I can't imagine it's easy getting your mum a PR on your visa as otherwise everyone would try that. I'm struggling to think how she can be a dependant on your visa. If a 'child' of 19 can't get on their parents visa how can a parent?

A elderly person in a country that provides no support and where as a result that elderly person is dependent on someone can rightfully claim to be a dependent.

A child of 19 is old enough and fit enough to earn a living for themselves, they are not dependent. If a parent is past retirement age and is totally dependent on the applicant, then they can be eligible.

It would be a different story if the parent was living in a country where there are aged pensions, subsidised nursing care etc.

A child or any other dependent family member of any age can be included and so can their children, even if they have arranged their affairs to become dependants. Only partners, parents and children (under 18, or studying) can be sponsored after a visa has been granted.

Archived