Reassurance anyone??

MiniCooper

i've been using this forum since the beginning of our visa journey and have found it an invaluable resource. However, as our move nears I am freaking out!:arghh:

Little background:

We live in Cyprus so I am not new to international moves (not an expert either) and don't miss the UK or the UK way of life at all so I'm hoping that will get me off on the right foot. We have to drive everywhere here and have immersed ourselves into the Cypriot way visiting tavernas and villages as opposed to super expensive pubs. We like it.

I have been extremely lucky and have secured employment in Rockhampton but I arrive two weeks before my husband. Bit scared that there will be a spider/snake incident and I'll have no one to deal with said intruder.

I leave in just over three weeks (muffled scream has just escaped my mouth). I have a list as long as my arm but really its the shipping, cleaning of items and selling of unwanted stuff that is the biggest job. I'm slowly wading through adminny bits but whenever I consider the tasks ahead I have palpitations followed by sitting on the couch browsing PIO for several unproductive hours putting off the inevitable. I just don't know where to start. Last time our stuff was shipped, we had already left so that was easy as we had the things we needed with us. I need to separate stuff but feel I shouldn't bother until a couple of days before the packers arrive. The same with cleaning shoes, hoover and bikes as we will be using them. And don't even get me started on work stuff. The extent of my work prep has been shopping for a whole new work wardrobe.

Luckily, family are in the UK so I've recently been back to say my goodbyes and have a party here in two weeks! But what about flying to our new life alone? God help whoever is sat next to me. I'll be gripping their wrist with a grimace, possibly tears, maybe some hysterical sobbing. Who will I turn to to say 'What the hell are we doing?'

Am I being a maniac? I'm hoping my worry will make the reality much more enjoyable. I know we will be fine and if stuff isn't done, it isn't done! Its tough!

Anyway just an opportunity to sound off really and hope someone will tell me to pull myself together. Hubby already has but he doesn't count.

Take a breath and stop worrying.

What gets done gets done and what doesn't doesn't. But, it will all come together.

We were panicking in March when we found we had a week to make the move - well, I had 4 days and my wife 10. But, it all happened in the end

i've been using this forum since the beginning of our visa journey and have found it an invaluable resource. However, as our move nears I am freaking out!:arghh:

Little background:

We live in Cyprus so I am not new to international moves (not an expert either) and don't miss the UK or the UK way of life at all so I'm hoping that will get me off on the right foot. We have to drive everywhere here and have immersed ourselves into the Cypriot way visiting tavernas and villages as opposed to super expensive pubs. We like it.

I have been extremely lucky and have secured employment in Rockhampton but I arrive two weeks before my husband. Bit scared that there will be a spider/snake incident and I'll have no one to deal with said intruder.

I leave in just over three weeks (muffled scream has just escaped my mouth). I have a list as long as my arm but really its the shipping, cleaning of items and selling of unwanted stuff that is the biggest job. I'm slowly wading through adminny bits but whenever I consider the tasks ahead I have palpitations followed by sitting on the couch browsing PIO for several unproductive hours putting off the inevitable. I just don't know where to start. Last time our stuff was shipped, we had already left so that was easy as we had the things we needed with us. I need to separate stuff but feel I shouldn't bother until a couple of days before the packers arrive. The same with cleaning shoes, hoover and bikes as we will be using them. And don't even get me started on work stuff. The extent of my work prep has been shopping for a whole new work wardrobe.

Luckily, family are in the UK so I've recently been back to say my goodbyes and have a party here in two weeks! But what about flying to our new life alone? God help whoever is sat next to me. I'll be gripping their wrist with a grimace, possibly tears, maybe some hysterical sobbing. Who will I turn to to say 'What the hell are we doing?'

Am I being a maniac? I'm hoping my worry will make the reality much more enjoyable. I know we will be fine and if stuff isn't done, it isn't done! Its tough!

Anyway just an opportunity to sound off really and hope someone will tell me to pull myself together. Hubby already has but he doesn't count.

You can have the most massive list of 'what if's' and you could think up more every second of every day. It won't do you any help as we never know if 'what if's' will happen ... if ... when... or at all. Spiders, snakes... may never happen. Why worry about stuff that may never happen?

Think about the things you can control.

Just go through each task as and when you need do. Tick it off, move on.

The plane ride is just a plane ride. Yes it's long, but it's not a month. It's 24 hours maximum. And even if it's difficult, it will be over and done before you know it.

And yes. Pull yourself together.

Just do it.

It's not a "new" life its the same old you and it will either work out our it won't, in which case you move on. Just tick things off the list as you do them and leave the rest for whoever leaves after you. It's an adventure that's all and to another first world country so you shouldn't get into too much strife. You've done it before you can do it again surely

Thanks for all the reassuring responses. Yes Quoll, you're right its not a new life. It is an exciting new chapter in our lives, which we are extremely fortunate enough to be able to do.

Bristol Chris, I am currently pulling myself together :)

Very Stormy, great advice. 4 days though? Impressive. That must have been a bit hectic.

I can understand how you are feeling..we are not moving for months yet and sometimes feel overwhelmed about everything we have to do, but I know it will all come together in the end, everything always does in life! I used to live in Cyprus, it will always have a place in my heart. Good luck for the next few weeks!

I can understand how you are feeling..we are not moving for months yet and sometimes feel overwhelmed about everything we have to do, but I know it will all come together in the end, everything always does in life! I used to live in Cyprus, it will always have a place in my heart. Good luck for the next few weeks!

Thank you. Cyprus is fantastic isn't it, so laid back. I adore it here but career wise there is no progression...or start for that matter and I'm just not ready to return to the UK. When will you make the move? Where are you moving to?

Thank you. Cyprus is fantastic isn't it, so laid back. I adore it here but career wise there is no progression...or start for that matter and I'm just not ready to return to the UK. When will you make the move? Where are you moving to?

it sure is, if the banking crisis happened I might have considered moving back, but like you say there's no career opportunities. Last time I was there the barman in our hotel was actually a pilot for Cyprus airways, but couldn't get enough hours to make ends meet!

I'm not moving until November, will be going to Brisbane with hubby and our two little ones. What about you, where in Cyprus are you leaving and where in Oz are you going to?

Good luck with your move! I've moved internationally a number of times as a minor, but this is the first time I'm doing it myself (well, with my boyfriend too) and I do admire my parents for how they handled it haha. We are not leaving as soon as you are, in fact we are only at the stage of weighing up job offers, but I imagine that once my boyfriend accepts one it will be all systems go.

I hope things all work out smoothly for you :)

Thanks for all the reassuring responses. Yes Quoll, you're right its not a new life. It is an exciting new chapter in our lives, which we are extremely fortunate enough to be able to do.

Very Stormy, great advice. 4 days though? Impressive. That must have been a bit hectic.

4 days is definitely a gold medal winner - we took 6 weeks the first time (including getting a spouse visa which was a bit hairy but it was nearly 4 decades ago and they had a tad more flexibility.

retiurning to uk took literally no time at all - came on holiday, with backpack. All our stuff is still in Australia. On our recent holiday we tossed much of it!

it sure is, if the banking crisis happened I might have considered moving back, but like you say there's no career opportunities. Last time I was there the barman in our hotel was actually a pilot for Cyprus airways, but couldn't get enough hours to make ends meet!

I'm not moving until November, will be going to Brisbane with hubby and our two little ones. What about you, where in Cyprus are you leaving and where in Oz are you going to?

We are moving to Rockhampton, an hour flight north of Brisbane. I managed to get a teaching job in a private school there which looks absolutely lovely. Really excited about it. Its just me and the hubby which I imagine makes it much easier than having little ones in tow. Good luck with it all Laura (I assume thats your name). Do let me know how you get on.

Good luck with your move! I've moved internationally a number of times as a minor, but this is the first time I'm doing it myself (well, with my boyfriend too) and I do admire my parents for how they handled it haha. We are not leaving as soon as you are, in fact we are only at the stage of weighing up job offers, but I imagine that once my boyfriend accepts one it will be all systems go.

I hope things all work out smoothly for you :)

Thanks you Atlas. My parents have never left Liverpool apart from annual holidays to the exact same place. I was desperate to spread my wings. My husband has lived all over with his parents too. Its a big world, plenty to explore I say. Fingers crossed for you and your chap with job offers.

We are moving to Rockhampton, an hour flight north of Brisbane. I managed to get a teaching job in a private school there which looks absolutely lovely. Really excited about it. Its just me and the hubby which I imagine makes it much easier than having little ones in tow. Good luck with it all Laura (I assume thats your name). Do let me know how you get on.

Ah yes, sorry, you did say that in your original post didn't you.. I then looked up Rockhampton as hadn't heard of it before. That's great you have got a teaching job lined up.. You're spot on there about it being easier without kids in tow, it was so much easier when I moved to Cyprus and then moved back to settle in England, now I've got a daughter who doesn't want to move to Australia!! Good luck to you too and will keep an eye out on here for how you get on.. and yes, my name is Laura:)

Sorry if my message appeared rude, I meant it more as a friendly hug to a friend 'c'mon buddy, pull yourself together and let's do this' sort of thing. I did note you put a smiley tho ;-)

Hope everything works out very smoothly for you and before you konw it the sun will be definitely shining down!

Sorry if my message appeared rude, I meant it more as a friendly hug to a friend 'c'mon buddy, pull yourself together and let's do this' sort of thing. I did note you put a smiley tho ;-)

Hope everything works out very smoothly for you and before you konw it the sun will be definitely shining down!

Taken absolutely as intended Bristol Chris. Just what I needed ;) Thank you

What made you move from Cyprus? I reckon that would be a decent place to settle.

Its amazing. I don't think I could settle here forever. There are no career opportunities for me here. I'm a teacher as is my hubby. he got the job out here and I came along for the ride. I was early on in my career and didn't want the break to be detrimental to my progression. 3 years doing supply is enough and the private/local schools aren't really for me. Its been an incredible three years but I'm ready to move on. I'm getting island fever.

Emigrating is enormous - and most people around you don't understand just what it means to give up a home, a job, family, friends, routines all at the same time. There is never enough time, but you basically have to do it in whatever time you have and in many ways, a shorter time is better than a longer one as you just spend less time stressing and doing time-wasting things. I did it in 3 weeks from visa grant.

The basic jobs are:

book travel ticket

give notice to work, landlord, utilities companies, etc.

book someone to ship stuff - can be done at a couple of days' notice but ideally a couple of weeks

book cleaner if you are leaving a rental property

get rid of stuff - sell, throw away, skip - it can be done quickly but you make better decisions with a couple of weeks preparation

sell car - better price with more notice but can just drive it to a dealer

say goodbye to people

pack

go

It would obviously be more complicated if you have pets or own your own property, but with a couple of weeks' notice you can probably set up with an agent to handle everything. With more time, you can get better prices for things and do more yourself, but basically you fill the time with pointless tasks like trying to get tuppence ha'penny for dead furniture or your old CD collection.

On the journey, you will probably find everyone very friendly and supportive - I did, everyone I spoke to understood the significance of the move to me.

Emigrating is enormous - and most people around you don't understand just what it means to give up a home, a job, family, friends, routines all at the same time. There is never enough time, but you basically have to do it in whatever time you have and in many ways, a shorter time is better than a longer one as you just spend less time stressing and doing time-wasting things. I did it in 3 weeks from visa grant.

The basic jobs are:

book travel ticket

give notice to work, landlord, utilities companies, etc.

book someone to ship stuff - can be done at a couple of days' notice but ideally a couple of weeks

book cleaner if you are leaving a rental property

get rid of stuff - sell, throw away, skip - it can be done quickly but you make better decisions with a couple of weeks preparation

sell car - better price with more notice but can just drive it to a dealer

say goodbye to people

pack

go

It would obviously be more complicated if you have pets or own your own property, but with a couple of weeks' notice you can probably set up with an agent to handle everything. With more time, you can get better prices for things and do more yourself, but basically you fill the time with pointless tasks like trying to get tuppence ha'penny for dead furniture or your old CD collection.

On the journey, you will probably find everyone very friendly and supportive - I did, everyone I spoke to understood the significance of the move to me.

Quinkla many thanks for your response. It is incredibly helpful and reassuring. I'm actually incredibly organised but at the same time a huge worrier, so I am actually making some progress, I guess it just helps to hear from people who have gone through the same process. I think you are totally right about having less time. You just somehow make it happen don't you.

Thanks again.

Archived