Applying for residency by myself or an agent?

pomonwaytooz

Hi,

i am am after some advice please, I am here on a 457 visa at the moment. And i can apply for residency in February i was looking at either doing it myself or going through an agent. I am single so there is only myself to consider when applying.

I have been told that it is fairly straight forward doing it for yourself but i wouldn't know where to start with the whole process, and also i have been told that i can start doing certain things before the start of February ie medical checks,police clearances is this true? And if yes if there anything else that I can do prior to my application in February?

Finally how how much would the costs be from doing the application myself against what an agent would charge?

Thanks

agents fees vary...you can contact some and ask for initial consultation, some do this free and quote to weigh up your options. You can front load medicals and police checks but they need to be no older than a year old when visa is considered so I wouldn't do it too early...I put in expression of interest and then did medicals etc. if you want to do it yourself you will need to do alot of reading and organising to make sure you have it all correct...I did mine myself but I'm good at that sort of thing and bit of a perfctionist when it comes to form filling and info gathering so depends how you feel you will manage..expensive mistake if you mess it up! However an agent is also a pointless middleman getting in the way of you don't need it! It was a couple of free consultations with agents that made me realise it was easy enough and I could do it myself..you may feel the opposite.

Hi,

i am am after some advice please, I am here on a 457 visa at the moment. And i can apply for residency in February i was looking at either doing it myself or going through an agent. I am single so there is only myself to consider when applying.

I have been told that it is fairly straight forward doing it for yourself but i wouldn't know where to start with the whole process, and also i have been told that i can start doing certain things before the start of February ie medical checks,police clearances is this true? And if yes if there anything else that I can do prior to my application in February?

Finally how how much would the costs be from doing the application myself against what an agent would charge?

Thanks

There is no such concept of "applying for residency". Hopefully you are not under the impression you can do such a thing because you have spent two years on a 457 visa, a common misunderstanding unfortunately.

If you wish to get a permanent visa, then you need to find one you qualify for and make a visa application. There is no time limit, no reason you need to wait until February if you think you qualify for a visa now, many people have permanent visas before they ever step foot in Australia.

There is no such concept of "applying for residency". Hopefully you are not under the impression you can do such a thing because you have spent two years on a 457 visa, a common misunderstanding unfortunately.

If you wish to get a permanent visa, then you need to find one you qualify for and make a visa application. There is no time limit, no reason you need to wait until February if you think you qualify for a visa now, many people have permanent visas before they ever step foot in Australia.

i have been told that my company are willing to nominate me so i know that after 2 years (next February) of being with the same company they are willing to do this. So just need to look at which is my best option if you can advise that would be great.

i have been told that my company are willing to nominate me so i know that after 2 years (next February) of being with the same company they are willing to do this. So just need to look at which is my best option if you can advise that would be great.

So the two years means you do not have to do a skills assessment, that is all. A 186 would be better than a 187.

So the two years means you do not have to do a skills assessment, that is all. A 186 would be better than a 187.

Hi Bungo, yeah i gathered that my question was mainly directed at weather it was easy enough to sort my visa out or go with an agent? Also would be interested in what the costs are roughly.

Be mindful that before you can even lodge your subclass 187 visa application, your employer will need to lodge an application for regional certification and a nomination application with the Immigration Department. If they get it wrong, your visa application will fail irrespective of what you have done.

Archived