Tax return??

Loulou

Hi all arrived in WA on 2nd May 2016 neither my husband or myself are working yet and confused about the tax return anyone know if i need to complete one this year?

Thanks

This sub-forum is for Financial Advice not tax advice so it maybe worth re-posting on the main forum.

I expect you will need to complete a tax return, you just won't have to pay anything (or get any rebate) if there has been no income - a tax accountant would be able to help. We used @Alan Collett

If you have had any income - UK or Australia (e.g. interest on bank accounts/savings, child benefit, or other benefits) since becoming a resident in Australia this will need to be declared even if you have already paid tax on it (& you would likely get a rebate)

You might not need to submit a tax return if your income is below the threshold. It depends on what type of income you have had (for example business income has to be declared even if very low or a loss) but if you've paid any tax then you'll want to submit a tax return to get a refund. In addition it may make sense to do a tax return to demonstrate what date you became tax resident to make sure there's no doubt to your entitlement to a full year's tax free allowance next year.

Hi all so confused uam getting this right i need to complete a tax return by october 31st and this is for the tax year july 2015 to june 2016? So when to you receive your earning summary in australia? Perhaps i need an account !

Hi all so confused uam getting this right i need to complete a tax return by october 31st and this is for the tax year july 2015 to june 2016? So when to you receive your earning summary in australia? Perhaps i need an account !

If you are working, you should get this from your Employer in the couple of weeks after 30th June. They call it a Group Certificate here.

Group certificate was the old name. It is now called a payment summary.

If you do your own tax return you have until 31st October to have it lodged. You can it do it online so quite straightforward these days.

If you use an accountant then they usually have a longer deadline I think it is end of January.

No. The name changed about 10 years ago.

Oh well, that would be why everyone still calls it a Group Certificate then!! I'm a bookkeeper for several different companies - and they ALL ask for their Group Certificates! next time I'll tell them I don't know what they are talking about because some pom in Melbourne says the name changed!

If you do it yourself yes, October. If you get an agent to do it you get until the end of March to return it. I leave mine until around February so i get a post-Christmas boost.

Edited by Eera

Oh well, that would be why everyone still calls it a Group Certificate then!! I'm a bookkeeper for several different companies - and they ALL ask for their Group Certificates! next time I'll tell them I don't know what they are talking about because some pom in Melbourne says the name changed!

Diane, I'm surprised you don't know this.

Obviously some still use the old name but the name is now Payment Summary.

Really if you are a competent bookkeeper you need to keep up with the current terminology.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Working/In-detail/PAYG-withholding/PAYG-payment-summaries---individual-non-business/

Edited by calNgary
edited out personal remark

The name did change.

I've lived here for 35 years and until 2000 they were called Group Certificates.

From 1st July 2000 onwards - the same year that GST was introduced - the name was changed to Payment Summary.

Obviously, plenty of older Australians who were here prior to 2000 still refer to Payment Summaries as Group Certificates.

Well, actually from the 1st July till 1st October, but close enough :tongue:

The ATO recommends waiting until mid August before attempting to submit which gives an even smaller range of time to submit in. The advantage to waiting is that by then a lot of data will have prepopulated your tax return (the payment summaries from employers, bank interest, hospital cover etc;) you can fill those in yourself but it can be an issue down the track if there's a difference between what you fill in and what the other party reports.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Tax-professionals/Prepare-and-lodge/Tax-agent-lodgment-program/Tax-returns-by-client-type/Individuals-and-trusts/#Lodgmentenddates

To correct some of the comments above, registered tax agents such as GM Tax typically have until the 15th of May following the end of the tax year to submit Australian tax returns for their individual clients - so long as the taxpayer's tax affairs are up to date.

Best regards.