Buyers Agent

Paul2412

As a long time resident I wouldn't need to be paying for something I can do myself , maybe if I wasn't familiar with an area and I would consider it depending on the fee and my budget.

I'd never buy unless I could view the property and the area and all its facilities in person myself. So no, would never ever buy before making a move. I'd not even book anything other than a short term rental prior to making the move. I'd want to view any and all rentals myself for the same reasons as I listed above. You could be stuck with crappy neighbours, crappy neighbourhood or in an area you don't like or is a much longer commute for the job you find once living there. Road noise, noise from flight path or train, all sorts of things could impact your living and you'd be stuck with it.

Plus I don't see the point paying someone to do such an important thing for me. Buying a house is a huge investment (especially if its going to be your family home) and I'd want to be certain it was the house for us. No one else can tell me that.

Perhaps it is more a question of employing a professional to act for you.

If they have been doing it for years they are likely to be a lot more professional at it than someone who has never done it before.

I probably wouldn't operate on myself either. I'f get a surgeon to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a BA for my investment properties because that is all about $$$ and nothing else.

I would not use one for a PPOR as that is more about emotion than $$$$ and you can't outsource emotion!

BB

But that's the whole point of a Buyers Agent

They take the emotion out of it by sitting you down with your pre set buying parameters

The decision is more about getting the right BA for you.

The ones to steer very clear of are ones that act in both capacities selling and buying.

Guest The Pom Queen

We used one when we purchased in Cairns, it was the best move we made. She did all the negotiating and when we narrowed it down to three houses she picked me up from the airport and drove me around them all. There was no charge to me as she got her percentage paid by the agents.

I think a buyer's agent can make a LOT of sense in the right circumstances.

However buying a place before you leave the UK is a really bad idea, unless you've already got a job (so you know what area you need to live in), and you're a young single or couple who just want a functional place to live (i.e. you're not trying to buy your "forever" home).

If you don't have a job to go to, then you'd be silly to buy a place first - because for all you know, you may have to move suburbs or even cities to find work, especially in the current job market.

Archived