Why does everyone hate

Had a bit of a chuckle at celts post as the reasons he gave for thinking about emigrating were just about the same. Including Margaret Thatcher. Maybe she was the last straw for a few people.

We came in 1981 the same as Celt. The weather didn't bother me much I have to say but for much of the 80/81 winter in the Liverpool area it just rained and rained. OH (Australian) was sick of it especially as he was in the building trade and Margaret Thatcher was another deciding factor.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure Perth is a nice place for a holiday.

It's not really. There's nothing in Perth from a tourist perspective that you can't get closer and cheaper.

Perth is a good place to live if you enjoy sport, especially water sports. Although you will find yourself getting up early to avoid the heat. But make good use of the river and beach and Perth is heaven. Have a pool and Perth is great.

If you're not sporty, then it may leave you a little flat after a year as you will have done everything.

We came in 1981 the same as Celt. The weather didn't bother me much I have to say but for much of the 80/81 winter in the Liverpool area it just rained and rained. OH (Australian) was sick of it especially as he was in the building trade and Margaret Thatcher was another deciding factor.

Was johny Howard much different?

Was johny Howard much different?

Didn't think much of him either.

The year we moved (1981) just seemed the right time. Britain was in recession. There had been rioting in Toxteth (Liverpool), Brixton (London) and Chapeltown (Leeds). The level of unemployment, not seen since the 1930s, affected most of the working class areas of Britain. Arriving in Australia was like a breath of fresh air. Well paid jobs galore. Can't say it's the same these days though.

We don't, we loved it, also thought that Freemantle was lovely,we had several days there on a road journey holiday in our transit van it was so like where we lived and loved until retirement

we lived in Ashton upon Mersey, Sale, anyone on here that has lived in Sale?

But you still wear the 'flat cap'!

Lordy no. That was taken on a cruise ship, and an American friend had just bought it in Cobh in Eire, and was passing it around for people to try on. Val snapped that photo before I had a chance to take it off. These days, I tend to wear baseball type caps, or a fedora, depending on where we are going and the company we are in. :jiggy:

So you are saying there were bad points and good points?

(it's a joke - lets not turn this political).

Laughing away here Bibbs. All the points I mentioned were bad ones......for us and the many other families who emigrated from our hometown around the same time. Every family that did so, is still living in Australia as far as I know. :biglaugh:

I came the fist time in 1968 with three friends and we lived in Sydney and I loved it from day 1. After a while for some reason, probably a man one of my friends wanted to move to Melbourne so we did. Loved it even better than Sydney, more friendly lovely place, bears no resemblance from then to now. My parents meanwhile moved to Perth, never saw them, my Uncle already lived there so thought family. Did not work my folks headed up to the Kimberly and lived there for many many years. I visited them once during this time. No money those days too busy having fun. Dad paid I think. That is why I always am amused at everyone wanting their parents around the corner, mine never were. Then I met my husband and he was at sea so we married and I joined his ship and went back to the UK to live. He never wanted to stay there permanently and his brother had already migrated to NZ so we returned to Melbourne and I love it. I have been to Perth a few times and I like it a lot and if I arrived there I am sure I would have stayed and loved it. However knowing what the East Coast has to offer for us and me its been better here. Get to Sydney in an hour, Adelaide in an hour, Brisbane 2 hours Tassie half an hour and that gives a certain kind of freedom to go and have little holidays around the place. I have no intention of having another holiday in the UK, family can come see me if they want to. Over the return to UK for a holiday look at old stuff etc. I think its time to drink up the sunshine and the quiet and freedom of country Aus. Also a trip on the side to NZ which only takes the same time as going to Perth is a possibility.

So why do people not like Perth, for some its just its isolation nothing else.

Lordy no. That was taken on a cruise ship, and an American friend had just bought it in Cobh in Eire, and was passing it around for people to try on. Val snapped that photo before I had a chance to take it off. These days, I tend to wear baseball type caps, or a fedora, depending on where we are going and the company we are in. :jiggy:

Yeh! pull the other one:wink:

Laughing away here Bibbs. All the points I mentioned were bad ones......for us and the many other families who emigrated from our hometown around the same time. Every family that did so, is still living in Australia as far as I know. :biglaugh:

Except for Maggie..................................................... come on you have to admit it, she enabled, or should I say encouraged you to come out to OZ and you have never looked back since.

Except for Maggie..................................................... come on you have to admit it, she enabled, or should I say encouraged you to come out to OZ and you have never looked back since.

Well, I must admit, that though I hated her policies with a deep passion, they certainly did encourage us to "get out of town as fast as we could", therefore I am thankful to her in that regards. I have looked back many times, and thanked my lucky stars, and Maggie of course, for the wonderful life we have been able to lead, compared to what could have been if we had stayed.

Well, I must admit, that though I hated her policies with a deep passion, they certainly did encourage us to "get out of town as fast as we could", therefore I am thankful to her in that regards. I have looked back many times, and thanked my lucky stars, and Maggie of course, for the wonderful life we have been able to lead, compared to what could have been if we had stayed.

I must admit that she, in a way, also made it possible for me to get where I am today, but the reasons are the polar to yours.

Next cruise a two week southern Caribbean in Nov. then over to UK for Dec with a side trip or two to Europe.

I must admit that she, in a way, also made it possible for me to get where I am today, but the reasons are the polar to yours.

Next cruise a two week southern Caribbean in Nov. then over to UK for Dec with a side trip or two to Europe.

Whatever the reason, it must have worked for you as well as for us.

We did 2 Caribbean cruises in October last year. They were a follow on from the Snowbird cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. Which company will you be cruising with?

Way too cold for me in the U.K. in December. We were there in March, and it was freezing.

Whatever the reason, it must have worked for you as well as for us.

We did 2 Caribbean cruises in October last year. They were a follow on from the Snowbird cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. Which company will you be cruising with?

Way too cold for me in the U.K. in December. We were there in March, and it was freezing.

Celebrity Cruise line, think it is just about the only one that does the southern Caribbean (Aruba) from a Florida departure port, most others you need to get to San Juan in Puerto Rico.

Due to work it is hard to pick and choose as to when we travel. At Christmas I usually have to take almost half of my annual leave which forces my hand (roll on retirement), we do get the bonus of being with the two granddaughters on xmas day though. But generally the UK weather does not worry us too much.

To carry on the cruise theme me and the missus went on our first cruise last weekend. Just a 3 night food and wine cruise out of Freo. Ship was the Pacific Eden. Really enjoyed it, plenty to do, good food and drink, nice bars, great gym and sauna/steamroom place. Had a 4-5m swell the whole way and the wife felt a bit dodgy. Nothing that a couple of cocktails didn't fix though. Good mix of agegroups on board too, we were worried we might have to dodge zimmers. Might go on a longer one next time.

To carry on the cruise theme me and the missus went on our first cruise last weekend. Just a 3 night food and wine cruise out of Freo. Ship was the Pacific Eden. Really enjoyed it, plenty to do, good food and drink, nice bars, great gym and sauna/steamroom place. Had a 4-5m swell the whole way and the wife felt a bit dodgy. Nothing that a couple of cocktails didn't fix though. Good mix of agegroups on board too, we were worried we might have to dodge zimmers. Might go on a longer one next time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising the best value for money holidays around and zimmers and tuxedo's are not compulsory.

Celebrity Cruise line, think it is just about the only one that does the southern Caribbean (Aruba) from a Florida departure port, most others you need to get to San Juan in Puerto Rico.

Due to work it is hard to pick and choose as to when we travel. At Christmas I usually have to take almost half of my annual leave which forces my hand (roll on retirement), we do get the bonus of being with the two granddaughters on xmas day though. But generally the UK weather does not worry us too much.

A bit off track from the OP, but we have been to Aruba on Royal Caribbean. They pretty much cover the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Tampa. We have stuck with them, and are now at the level we get a 3 1/2 hour free drinks session every day, plus some free internet and a few other goodies.

How long until retirement? I was lucky enough to retire early, at 61, so we can go whenever we please if the destination and price align with what we are willing to pay.

Archived