VISA minefield, please help!!

Hodgie1000

Hi, my wife and I are 33 and 34 respectively with two kids, 2 & 6years old. We are both police officers in the UK but Brisbane aren't recruiting UK cops anymore and we only want to live in Brisbane/Gold Coast. My wife has a brother in OZ who is a PR. My question is... If we are not on the skilled list, could we still get a visa through her brother (sponsored??) Any advice welcome please, thank you

Hi, my wife and I are 33 and 34 respectively with two kids, 2 & 6years old. We are both police officers in the UK but Brisbane aren't recruiting UK cops anymore and we only want to live in Brisbane/Gold Coast. My wife has a brother in OZ who is a PR. My question is... If we are not on the skilled list, could we still get a visa through her brother (sponsored??) Any advice welcome please, thank you

No you cannot get a visa through a brother.

You will have to either wait for a recruitment drive in Queensland or consider other states should they start a recruitment drive. To be honest though, I have not seen one for a while.

You say you only want to live in Brisbane/Gold Coast, but could you put up living somewhere else in the short term? I'm thinking that if you could get a job in another state that would get you your visa. Once you have PR and are already living in Australia, it will be much easier to keep an eye out for vacancies in your preferred area. Your children are young enough that it won't be too much of a disruption for them to move states a few years down the track.

Alternatively, have you thought about working in the prison system, last time I looked they were looking for correctional officers in Queensland and I don't think you need any special qualifications.

You say you only want to live in Brisbane/Gold Coast, but could you put up living somewhere else in the short term? I'm thinking that if you could get a job in another state that would get you your visa. Once you have PR and are already living in Australia, it will be much easier to keep an eye out for vacancies in your preferred area. Your children are young enough that it won't be too much of a disruption for them to move states a few years down the track.

Alternatively, have you thought about working in the prison system, last time I looked they were looking for correctional officers in Queensland and I don't think you need any special qualifications.

Totally agree with this comment, if going to another State for a few years is your only 'way in' ,i would certainly do it.

Cal x

Even if you were able to join QLD police you could be posted anywhere in the state. You cannot be guaranteed to be only Brisbane or GC - arguable two of the most sought after areas. You could very easily have to do a posting for three years in somewhere like Mt Isa.

My bad, I misread. Still as the OP is a police officer not a prison officer, they are not going to be able to pass skills assessment necessary for a state sponsored skilled migrant visa.

Thats not necessarily correct, depending on what the op has been doing as a police officer he may be able to pass the skills assessment. For instance, if he has been working in a custody suite or if he has experience with anti social behaviour teams or Intel, a significant number of those skills would be transferable. the requirements for this are only equivalent to cert 3 in Australia, plus one year post qual, it's very possible that any police quals from uk may match or exceed this.

Thats not necessarily correct, depending on what the op has been doing as a police officer he may be able to pass the skills assessment. For instance, if he has been working in a custody suite or if he has experience with anti social behaviour teams or Intel, a significant number of those skills would be transferable. the requirements for this are only equivalent to cert 3 in Australia, plus one year post qual, it's very possible that any police quals from uk may match or exceed this.

No harm in trying, worst that can happen is that it is negative assessment result.

Surely supervising a custody suite is way different to working in a prison? A friend of mine had a quick look a couple of years back before deciding not to proceed, and they said they would have needed to show supervising education and rehab work as well as just locking peole up?

Just to reiterate a point that's already been made. If you came to QLD and go into the police force, chances are as you're a newbie you'd be sent to Mount Isa or the like. People with ties such as a home, children in school (not that that's stopped the police force in moving people) or married, will likely be placed in a more local station.

You won't get in on your brother and if they are after UK police officers then you're going to have to look else where. NT is a good call as are a few other states wanting Prison officers. Again that will depend on you passing relevant assessments and actually wanting to commit.

Have you been to Australia before, are you and your wife BOTH keen on moving? There are many factors in moving, not just the job!

JR.

• 6 months later...

Hi

May I ask what qualifications are comparable to a certificate 3? My wife and I are from Singapore and she worked as a Persons- in- Custody officer with the Police Force. She has a GCE 'O' Levels cert. She also attained a Police Officer Basic Course certificate during her Police training. Are any of these achievements comparable to a certificate 3?

Dan

Archived