Are we too old at 70 to think of returning to U.K.

KALINDA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just separated at 70 and want to return but can't decide if its the right thing either

Oh gosh AlecanMac that is hard, I don't know if it's a long time coming or whether it is something you have chosen but either way I would give yourself at least a year or healing and grieving before making any other permanent life changing decisions. You can choose to spend that time in the UK but don't burn any bridges, rent out any property in Australia (or lock and leave) but don't sell and don't ship. Do you have family and friends in the UK? Why not head over and rent a Airnb place for 3 months initially and see how you feel? You could then take on a 6 month lease after that, when it comes to time to go back to Australia if you don't want to go then you have your answer :)

If you have particular concerns maybe start your own thread as people that have read & responded to the OP may not read it again.

Well I just separated at 70 and want to return but can't decide if its the right thing either

The good news is that because you're already collecting the Australian aged pension, you can take it with you when you go to the UK.

The main thing is to ask yourself - if your marriage hadn't broken up, would you even be considering going back? Is it something you've always yearned to do, or are you just feeling like you need to "do a geographical" to get as far away from your ex as possible?

If it's something you've always yearned to do and you were only sticking it out in Australia to please your family, then I'd get on that plane as soon as possible. If it's not that clear-cut, then I'd be giving yourself some time to get over the shock of the breakup before you make decisions.

The good news is that because you're already collecting the Australian aged pension, you can take it with you when you go to the UK.

Bear this in mind though: "However, in the 2015 Budget the Government announced that some pensioners will now have their pension rate reduced if they are absent from Australia for more than 6 weeks. After 6 weeks absence from Australia, pensioners who have lived in Australia for less than 35 year,s will be paid a reduced rate of benefit proportionate to their Australian residency based on their AWLR . Pensioners with more than 35 years AWLR will not be affected. For more details see a recent announcement which indicates that the operative date for these changes will be January 1, 2017."