Just got a little closer

Thom

We're number crunching at the moment for our best bet at an early retirement date back to Blighty.

September 2018 is the earliest we can forecast so far.,

A lot depends on the $Au vs Quid.

Just sharing, no real point to this post!

Happy Thom.

I am looking at mid next year to semi retire (almost 4 years early), though intend to spend roughly 50/50 UK & Aus. Heaps of things to think about, homes, cars, insurances, pensions, tax's, no worries though, will work through it for what best suits us.

Good luck Thom:smile:

PS I am looking forward to it, had enough of this working lark.

We're number crunching at the moment for our best bet at an early retirement date back to Blighty.

Happy Thom.

Good luck with it. I have done it the other way around and 'retired' early moving to Australia. It was probably a year or two early financially (due to circumstances I couldn't influence) but at least we got a favourable exchange rate last year which made it more do'able - though still have UK investments which we are holding onto for the forseeable hoping for a sea-change in the exchange rate in the next year or two.

There is still a possibility that I may do paid work in the future but in the meantime I am loving 'retirement'. Nobody on their deathbed ever said that they wished they had spent more time at the office.

Happy Thom.

Retirement to me is freedom - just to be able to do what you want when you want - luxury! :smile: Not long for you to go Thom.

I retired early at 61. Now just turned 66, and for the last 5 years Val and I have been enjoying life to the maximum. I got fed up of selling my life to the company. Now cruising through life, doing whatever takes our fancy, whenever we want to. Great for booking last minute cruises at huge discounts, where we can just go without having to worry about work. As I say, every day is a weekend day for us.

Some lovely replies, my thanks!

I'll be 59 when I retire should our plans work..

Still reasonably fit, (just back from the gym in fact,) fitter than most 30 year olds anyway, and with plenty of hobbies to keep me interested.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...
I retired early at 61. Now just turned 66, and for the last 5 years Val and I have been enjoying life to the maximum. I got fed up of selling my life to the company. Now cruising through life, doing whatever takes our fancy, whenever we want to. Great for booking last minute cruises at huge discounts, where we can just go without having to worry about work. As I say, every day is a weekend day for us.

No disagree ...I wouldn't give my life to any company ....i also think you have to live it at the " FRONT END " ....20 -50 is the time .

Travelled all over the world with the kids ....

I lost 2 friends this week ...a bloke of 30 ,and a real good friend ,didn't smoke or drink ,she got cancer ...very sad ....

No life at the front end for me

No disagree ...I wouldn't give my life to any company ....i also think you have to live it at the " FRONT END " ....20 -50 is the time .

Travelled all over the world with the kids ....

I lost 2 friends this week ...a bloke of 30 ,and a real good friend ,didn't smoke or drink ,she got cancer ...very sad ....

No life at the front end for me

I agree with both! Too many people sacrifice there younger years to work and money saving for a retirement that never happens or is blighted by ill heath.

On the other hand I am remortgaging shortly to a 10 year term, and planning on retiring once I'm debt free - if we'd stayed in Australia I'd have been working another 20!

I guess I could work less hard for 20 years but would rather get the working phase of my life over and done with!

Just had confirmation we are mortgage free in the UK.

Will be getting around £650.00 pcm in rents, which we will stick into a savings account for retirement, (unless someone can recommend a better way of using it?)

Happy Thom.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived