Occupation TESOL - where can I migrate - please help

edwin80

Hi, my wife is a Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages. Her occupation is recognised by VETASSESS. Her IELTS general is 8/8/8/7. We really want to migrate to Australia but I really don't know where can we migrate. The wife's occupation is only on CSOL list. Please give me some tips if you can.

Regards

Hi, my wife is a Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages. Her occupation is recognised by VETASSESS. Her IELTS general is 8/8/8/7. We really want to migrate to Australia but I really don't know where can we migrate. The wife's occupation is only on CSOL list. Please give me some tips if you can.

Regards

Well unfortunately not everyone that wants to emigrate to Australia is able to do so. Your wife's occupation is only eligible for state sponsorship in SA and ACT but in both cases with stict conditions that are hard to meet. You would need either a job offer, family in the state or a very high points score to secure sponsorship from either. If state sponsorship cannot be secured then your wife would need to find an employer sponsor.

What is your occuption?

Thx for quick reply. My occupation is accounting. I haven't had my occupation recognised yet because of my English. There is required of minimum IELTS 4x7 academic. This is too much for me.

You said that is SA we would need a job offer. What is the difference between job offer and employer sponsor? Positive job offer is enough to get SA nomination? I have to find a way to achieve my goal :)

Thx for quick reply. My occupation is accounting. I haven't had my occupation recognised yet because of my English. There is required of minimum IELTS 4x7 academic. This is too much for me.

You said that is SA we would need a job offer. What is the difference between job offer and employer sponsor? Positive job offer is enough to get SA nomination? I have to find a way to achieve my goal :)

At at the moment you getting a visa as an accountant is far more likely than your OH getting a visa as teacher of English. Put all your efforts into you getting a visa whilst you can!!

To your question, having a job offer is well just totally different to having sponsorship. An offer is just an offer, a piece of paper with a job offer written on it. A sponsorship means an application and hoops to jump through.

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong but I think it's easier to get a job offer (for my wife) than to get high score on IELTS ;) Maybe some migrations agents are able to help.

A migration agent can't help you get a job offer. Thats down to you, contacting employers etc

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong but I think it's easier to get a job offer (for my wife) than to get high score on IELTS ;) Maybe some migrations agents are able to help.

Job offers are extremely hard to get when you are not in the country and don't have a visa.

You could study for IELTS, you will need good Englisg skills in Australia anyway.

@edwin80: It seems that your best course (for both you and your wife) is to cruise the Australian job boards for positions in your respective fields. Visa sponsorship/ nomination is something you'd have to negotiate with your prospective employer at the interview stage; the employer would then make an offer (or not) based on this. This is the route I took -- not easy, but also not impossible. Keep the faith and look to the long term.

@edwin80: It seems that your best course (for both you and your wife) is to cruise the Australian job boards for positions in your respective fields. Visa sponsorship/ nomination is something you'd have to negotiate with your prospective employer at the interview stage; the employer would then make an offer (or not) based on this. This is the route I took -- not easy, but also not impossible. Keep the faith and look to the long term.

The thing is TESOL teachers are 10 a penny so it's very unlikely you would get a job unless you are in the country.

Surely she can use her skills to help you through IELTS though?

Otherwise you are not under 30 by any chance? Lots of people TESOL on working holiday visas and it may be a way to get a permanent job offer.

As others have said, a job offer is not enough. The employer has to be willing to go through a complicated application process. If the employer can find a local candidate, even a less experienced one, they'll hire that person rather than go through the rigmarole of sponsorship - especially if a local candidate can start at once, whereas he'll have to wait weeks or months to get the sponsorship approved before your wife could start work.

I know you're thinking "there HAS to be a way to get to Australia". For the majority of people, there just isn't.

The thing is TESOL teachers are 10 a penny so it's very unlikely you would get a job unless you are in the country.

Surely she can use her skills to help you through IELTS though?

Otherwise you are not under 30 by any chance? Lots of people TESOL on working holiday visas and it may be a way to get a permanent job offer.

My wife is a TESOL teacher. The best offer she had in 8 years in WA was volunteer work through Polytechnic West.

As others have said, a job offer is not enough. The employer has to be willing to go through a complicated application process. If the employer can find a local candidate, even a poorly-qualified or inexperienced one, they're far more likely to hire that person than go through the rigmarole of sponsorship - especially if a local candidate can start at once, whereas he'll have to wait weeks or months to get the sponsorship approved before your wife could start work.

I know you're thinking "there HAS to be a way to get to Australia". For the majority of people, there just isn't.

Sometimes States will sponsor 190 applications if the candidate can meet certain criteria like having a job offer. They don't need sponsorship, just the offer in this case. I can confirm that SA and ACT may consider sponsorship in such circumstances according to their websites. However this is by the by as a teacher of English as second language has got only a very slim chance of securing even a job offer.

As somebody else has said, if the partner teaches English then the best strategy would be to help OP improve English so that IELTS can be passed as an accountant.

One piece of advice. If you are going to try the accounting route, you need to act quick as it is flagged for possible removal from the SOL list this year

As it has been for a very long time.

Whilst it hasn't been removed yet - quota's have been reduced a lot for the last 3 years, and at times you have needed 70 points to get an invite.

I'm glad i got mine when i did, i wouldn't qualify today because I couldn't reach the higher points threshold.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U12 using Tapatalk

Archived