20ft container quotes

M1cha3la

Hi all,

So we have had 4 companies in to quote a 20ft container from the Midlands to Perth and I thought it may be helpful to share prices for others wondering about costs.

In no particular order we have had PSS, Pickfords, Anglo Pacific and Doree Bonner in and in a different non particular order we have been quoted:

£3,600

£3,815

£3,895

£4,189

They have all offered free storage both ends for upto 4 weeks which have varying "handling fees" from $0 - $459. They vary by 0.5% insurance fees and 0.5% card fees.

I enquired about air freighting a few boxes of essentials and non have been able to beat Parcel Monkey price wise.

So far they have all offered a good level of service and I have read good and bad reviews for each, so I am not sure how we will pick other than purely down to price.

Edited by M1cha3la

Fortunately the one we liked the most (in terms of providing information and answers to questions) turned out to be the cheapest of the 3 we saw (and that was John Mason). Theirs was £3420 for a 20ft container but that was last July and prices will have risen since then.

Everything went without a hitch both ends and the communication with them and their partners over here were excellent.

I reckon though it comes down to a leap of faith.

Good luck.

Thanks GGS :wubclub:

I wanted to get John Mason in as tbh they were the only one I had heard of prior to my research. They are a big name that jumps out. But I was put off as when I called to book the office was shut, they are only open 9am - 5pm and from a convenience side all of the others were open after 5pm. I knew they would all be similar on price, so like you say its the little things and who you like/feel comfortable with that helps make the decision. I am still debating getting JM in to quote, but I dont know if would to help clarify or muddy my decision, plus I already have 4 quotes, I need to stop being quote greedy and just make a decision :laugh:

Edited by M1cha3la

Note they all provide free storage UK side.......why.......because they will unpack and repack the container at their depot. This significantly increases the chances of breakage and means they will compact your load down and sell any free space they create and piggy back a shared container quote onto yours. Win win for the shipping co.

We used Bournes who did not do this, they sealed the container on our driveway which was only opened on the Australia side. The lorry also left our house straight for the dock.

Its up to you however I feel selling you a container and then reselling the spare space they create is cheeky. It also means your container could sit in the UK for the 4 weeks (free storage period) whilst they find an appropriate load to share. The storage if needed AU side is cheap as we delayed ours by 2 weeks and cost circa $60 as I can recall.

S

Edited by srg73

Note they all provide free storage UK side.......why.......because they will unpack and repack the container at their depot. This significantly increases the chances of breakage and means they will compact your load down and sell any free space they create and piggy back a shared container quote onto yours. Win win for the shipping co.

We used Bournes who did not do this, they sealed the container on our driveway which was only opened on the Australia side. The lorry also left our house straight for the dock.

Its up to you however I feel selling you a container and then reselling the spare space they create is cheeky. It also means your container could sit in the UK for the 4 weeks (free storage period) whilst they find an appropriate load to share. The storage if needed AU side is cheap as we delayed ours by 2 weeks and cost circa $60 as I can recall.

S

John Mason also sealed our container at our house and took it straight to the docks - not that there was any spare space on it anyway lol.

Are you sure other companies do that or could that have been some marketing spin from the guy from Bournes?

Ask about the shipping route too. We paid a bit more for a quicker routing. They should be able to tell you dates and routes. Of course there can be delays to the schedule. Cheaper quotes can take longer. We had our stuff packed just in time to meet the shipping deadline and it arrived as per schedule. The original quotes we got meant packing up a week before ang arriving at least 10 days later.

S

Thank you for the info :wubclub: They have all offered free storage for whichever end we choose. I made a point of asking for storage in Aus and not the UK, but they all offered me the option of UK storage also should we need it. All of the the compaies were very honest that our goods would be packed/unpacked for storage in the UK as it is not feasible for them to store containers in their warehouses. They all also advised that if we ship directly to Aus that a the container will be sealed at my house and remain so until Customs open it, so I don't think that is exclusive to Bournes. It is very handy for people looking at UK storage to be aware of though.

We will choose storage in Aus for a few reasons, mainly as like you say I prefer my items to be sealed and shipped (less chance of breakage ect), we are also hoping we can secure a rental quickly and not actually need the storage, it is just a back up plan. Fingers crossed :laugh:

Edited by M1cha3la

If there isn't anything much in it, just go with the one you like best.

FWIW I'd get an independent shipping insurance. If there is a claim made it'll be a heck of a lot easier to get the claim paid than if with the shipping companies own insurance.

Ask about the shipping route too. We paid a bit more for a quicker routing. They should be able to tell you dates and routes. Of course there can be delays to the schedule. Cheaper quotes can take longer. We had our stuff packed just in time to meet the shipping deadline and it arrived as per schedule. The original quotes we got meant packing up a week before ang arriving at least 10 days later.

Thanks Rammygirl :wubclub: that is really handy to know, I will drop them all an email to find out about that.

Edited by M1cha3la

If there isn't anything much in it, just go with the one you like best.

FWIW I'd get an independent shipping insurance. If there is a claim made it'll be a heck of a lot easier to get the claim paid than if with the shipping companies own insurance.

Thanks that is a good point :wubclub: I have requested a quote off Letton Percival so it will be good to be able to compare costs. Ease of claims ect are really important too though should it be needed, its the bit you hope you wont need so dont really think about :twitcy:

Edited by M1cha3la

Thanks that is a good point :wubclub: I have requested a quote off Letton Percival so it will be good to be able to compare costs. Ease of claims ect are really important too though should it be needed, its the bit you hope you wont need so dont really think about :twitcy:

We are using Pickfords with their own insurance it was a little bit dearer but no excess One shipment we had a tool broken ,it was worth about £250 the excess was the same amount so we didn't claim Hopefully nothing will be broken but you never know

We shipped with Anglo, had varied quotes 3700-4200. Liked the guy from Anglo and insured with letton Percival. We thought we had done ok with insurance values but all our bedroom furniture-bedside cabinets tall boy and chest of drawers busted underneath. You can say bad design but the packers imo should have protected it better. Didn't expect to claim, wish we had added on the xs to the value...so don't rush doing your quote as we did. We packed 17th 18th dec and container sealed at the house and it was obviously opened at customs in Brisbane and re packed for delivery here. It worked out ok all the delays as we never got a rental till 29th feb.. Stuff delivered 11th March. Claim being attended to and we need to send paperwork back now. So will see how that goes x

We are using Pickfords with their own insurance it was a little bit dearer but no excess One shipment we had a tool broken ,it was worth about £250 the excess was the same amount so we didn't claim Hopefully nothing will be broken but you never know

Excess is definitely something to consider, I got a quote today from a seperate company and the excess is £250, so if you do end up claiming its not really saving anything. I hope all your things ship safely, when do you go @Patphillips47? X

Edited by M1cha3la

We shipped with Anglo, had varied quotes 3700-4200. Liked the guy from Anglo and insured with letton Percival. We thought we had done ok with insurance values but all our bedroom furniture-bedside cabinets tall boy and chest of drawers busted underneath. You can say bad design but the packers imo should have protected it better. Didn't expect to claim, wish we had added on the xs to the value...so don't rush doing your quote as we did. We packed 17th 18th dec and container sealed at the house and it was obviously opened at customs in Brisbane and re packed for delivery here. It worked out ok all the delays as we never got a rental till 29th feb.. Stuff delivered 11th March. Claim being attended to and we need to send paperwork back now. So will see how that goes x

Im sorry to hear that some of your things got broken @lp77 , I agree they should of been fully protected. One item you can put down to an accident, but several items just seems wrong. I hope you get it sorted soon. How are you settling in though other than the shipping troubles?

Excess is definitely something to consider, I got a quote today from a seperate company and the excess is £250, so if you do end up claiming its not really saving anything. I hope all your things ship safely, when do you go @Patphillips47? X

Furniture picked up 12th and 13th April , Dog picked up 18th April ,car to shippers 19th April we fly out in the 20th

Hoping it all falls into place !

Do you pay tax on belongings? Looking to bring bikes etc. Wondering if there's an import tax on stuff?

Only on items you've had for less that 12 months that are valued at more than $1000. Practically this means unless something is brand new in box, you won't be asked to pay any duty on personal imports.

Do you pay tax on belongings? Looking to bring bikes etc. Wondering if there's an import tax on stuff?

Not if you've owned it for a year or more. New stuff you are supposed to declare but most people seem to just unwrap or remove from box and treat the same as the rest of their shipping. I can appreciate if its just one or two things new that it gets through without drama, but if its a whole container or lots of items then customs might not buy it and look a bit harder.

ETA - Forgot the value, which is as Peach said $1,000 and over

Edited by Guest
eta

John Mason also sealed our container at our house and took it straight to the docks - not that there was any spare space on it anyway lol.

Are you sure other companies do that or could that have been some marketing spin from the guy from Bournes?

Nope not sales patter from Bournes as even they turned up with a container bulkhead to install so they could split our load. We also filled our container meaning the bulkhead did not get installed and container locked on the driveway. In our instance the volume required was under quoted, once the guys showed up to pack their first reaction was.....there is MORE than a 20ft container here.....they were not wrong as we had to leave a large sofa!

They all resell, obviously provides additional money but also the container does need to be full to stop your stuff moving around.

S

Pretty sure that if you're paying for the exclusive use of a container then the shipper should not be unpacking re-packing it alongside other peoples goods (unless you've gone for the cheaper shared option). I would be pretty narked if someone else's goods were listed on the customs declaration on a container I'd paid for exclusively.

Fortunately the one we liked the most (in terms of providing information and answers to questions) turned out to be the cheapest of the 3 we saw (and that was John Mason). Theirs was £3420 for a 20ft container but that was last July and prices will have risen since then.

Everything went without a hitch both ends and the communication with them and their partners over here were excellent.

I reckon though it comes down to a leap of faith.

Good luck.

A while ago now, but we too used John Masons and couldn't fault them at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks GGS :wubclub:

I wanted to get John Mason in as tbh they were the only one I had heard of prior to my research. They are a big name that jumps out. But I was put off as when I called to book the office was shut, they are only open 9am - 5pm and from a convenience side all of the others were open after 5pm. I knew they would all be similar on price, so like you say its the little things and who you like/feel comfortable with that helps make the decision. I am still debating getting JM in to quote, but I dont know if would to help clarify or muddy my decision, plus I already have 4 quotes, I need to stop being quote greedy and just make a decision :laugh:

Personally, I wouldn't bother with John Mason. My husband and I used them to ship from London to Melbourne. Our belongings were collected over four months ago and they are still not here. They sat in port in England for 2 months!! I had to continually chase for updates... The company they used at the Melbourne end are sh*te and despite asking for an update they ignore my email. They might be cheaper but it feels like there's a good reason for that.....