Passport advice please!

Lou76

Good morning, we (me, my husband, and two children 8 & 4), are moving back to the UK in a few weeks. We all have Australian passports but my youngest doesn't have a UK passport. Stupidly with everything that is going on I have only just thought about this and that it could be an issue entering the UK. I was going to apply for her UK passport once we'd moved. Has anyone been in this situation, and did you have to get any kind of visa? TIA :)

It will make things a bit easier if she had a passport otherwise she will be entering on a 6 month visitor visa (stamped at the airport) and the wheels of bureaucracy grind exceeding slow. Take evidence of her citizenship and of course they can't refuse her but, if you have time, get her a passport! I have no idea how her arrival status impacts on things like school enrolment, health care etc.

It will make things a bit easier if she had a passport otherwise she will be entering on a 6 month visitor visa (stamped at the airport) and the wheels of bureaucracy grind exceeding slow. Take evidence of her citizenship and of course they can't refuse her but, if you have time, get her a passport! I have no idea how her arrival status impacts on things like school enrolment, health care etc.

I don't have time unfortunately, we leave in 4 weeks and it says it takes 6 weeks. I am cross with myself! Will they just stamp her passport at the airport or do you know if I need to do anything in advance from here? TIA :)

She will need a passport or a visa. If you go down the visa route it could cause headaches. However, passports can be obtained pretty quick

Thank you but the website says six weeks and I only have four weeks.

Is there any way you can pay for a quicker turn around for the UK passport - there used to be that facility but not sure how it works when overseas

our friend several years ago left Oz to escape a violent marriage with her two young children -they both traveled on Aussie passports

But she was held up and interviewed at Heathrow for several hours before being allowed to travel on ( different scenario from yours as she had not told her ex she was moving )

I think carry as much personal information as you can ie your own passports birth certificates etc Justin Case

Is there any way you can pay for a quicker turn around for the UK passport - there used to be that facility but not sure how it works when overseas

our friend several years ago left Oz to escape a violent marriage with her two young children -they both traveled on Aussie passports

But she was held up and interviewed at Heathrow for several hours before being allowed to travel on ( different scenario from yours as she had not told her ex she was moving )

I think carry as much personal information as you can ie your own passports birth certificates etc Justin Case

Thank you, but apparently I can't apply for an emergency passport as she has never held a British one.

Good morning, we (me, my husband, and two children 8 & 4), are moving back to the UK in a few weeks. We all have Australian passports but my youngest doesn't have a UK passport. Stupidly with everything that is going on I have only just thought about this and that it could be an issue entering the UK. I was going to apply for her UK passport once we'd moved. Has anyone been in this situation, and did you have to get any kind of visa? TIA :)

Just claim your youngest is a Syrian refugee and you'll get through no problem; you'll probably get a new house provided too :-)

Thank you, but apparently I can't apply for an emergency passport as she has never held a British one.

Just carry as much personal bumph as you can then I am sure you will be fine your circumstances are different from my friends in that you will be travelling as a full family.

Just carry as much personal bumph as you can then I am sure you will be fine your circumstances are different from my friends in that you will be travelling as a full family.

This is what I'm thinking. We will take everything and keep everything crossed that the agent is in a good mood on the day!

you don't need a UK birth certificate for a UK passport if it's by descendacy

And it's also the case that a UK birth certificate doesn't give any right to UK citizenship so where the birth certificate is from is somewhat irrelevant. It's who it says your parents are that is the important bit.

More importantly, does she have a UK birth certificate? No chance of a passport without one.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T800 mit Tapatalk

Thank you, no she doesnt as she was born in Australia, so no, but my husband and I are both UK born so therefore that's not an issue.

Everyone, thank you so much. I was freaking out that we wouldn't be allowed into the country at all but now I'm not..... so much...., if we have to do the visa thing and leave and re-enter so be it, all I need to know is we can get in when we arrive (even if it takes a while longer!). She is only 4, I hope we get someone at passport control who gets that she isn't heading out to start her own empire illegally anytime soon.

Thanks all :)

OK, I haven't read all the replies but when we entered England 4 years ago our 2 children didn't have UK passports and we're just given 6 month visa stamp with no problem. It didn't cause any issues at all and still hasnt. We are getting their first UK passports in a week or two as they are going on a school trip.

Everyone, thank you so much. I was freaking out that we wouldn't be allowed into the country at all but now I'm not..... so much...., if we have to do the visa thing and leave and re-enter so be it, all I need to know is we can get in when we arrive (even if it takes a while longer!). She is only 4, I hope we get someone at passport control who gets that she isn't heading out to start her own empire illegally anytime soon.

Thanks all :)

I can't guarantee it 100% but 99.9% sure they will just give your child a 6 month visa upon entry. We weren't held up at all, it only took minutes to get through immigration.

Archived