View of migration interest from longer term PIO members

Wirephobia

A question to the longer term members of PIO. According to the anecdotal evidence from the PIO forum along with any other sources you might have, do you have a view on whether interest in migration to Aus from the UK is similar / up / down now (let's say "now" = over the last 12 moths) compared to interest over the last 10 years?

Guest The Pom Queen

Migration to Australia seems to be down over the last few years. I'm not sure why, maybe Australia isn't as appealing anymore as prices have rose and visas are harder to get and jobs harder to secure.

It is still a wonderful country and If I had the choice whether to migrate or not I would still come. It as so much to offer.

Just a feeling that migration is definitely increasing round here- but definitely not from the uk. More Asia and some African migrants. Very few from other places in Europe. It is changing the housing market, the way houses are built and what produce is available, too.

Definitely noticed that in Sydney. Not so many UK migrants but so many more from India, Sri Lanka and China (Hong Kong).

Thanks all for taking the time to comment on my idle wondering and point me towards the reports. Those migration reports are quite interesting actually. Clearly the number of UK migrants are steadily declining both in absolute terms and as a proportion of the total, whilst those from Southern Asia are increasing rapidly.

Now I'm off to see if I can find out more about why that is - I'm interested in whether it's an intentional strategy, an outcome of increasing global mobility or other factors....likely a complex mix of all those I know.

I think, unless I misread the stats, that the total number of people allowed to migrate to Aus each year has increased over the last ten years. However, steadily fewer of that total came from the UK.

I guess I'm curious about whether that's because it's less desirable to potential UK migrants, or Aus policies consciously set out to change the migration profile, or those from other countries have become more mobile.

Definitely noticed that in Sydney. Not so many UK migrants but so many more from India, Sri Lanka and China (Hong Kong).

I agree - at my Geelong citizenship ceremony last September there were about 50 of us: approx 4-5 Europeans, 1 African, and the rest from the Indian subcontinent. No-one from SE Asia I think.

Archived