Help needed

Paige03

Hi. Can anyone help. We are looking to start the visa process. I have 2 children aged 13 and 16. My 16 year son isn't sure whether he wants to move to Australia but knows he definitely wants to finish his A levels and go to university in the UK (he is due to sit GCSE's this May). He said he will look to move to Australia once he has finished university. Does anyone know how this will affect his visa ?( if we get one). We are planning on applying for 189 and I want to include him in this and he will travel to Australia to validate the visa.

Will he be able to just come back permanently to Australia after University? this will just be within the 5 years and the plan will be for him to visit us during each summer break during university so he will be living partly in Australia.

Would he be able to stay permanently with us under the 189 visa or would he need a different visa, ? Resident return visa.

Sorry for rambling.

Thanks.

As long as it's within 5 years of the visa grant, it should be fine for him to come and live there permanently after uni. Speaking as the step mother of a 20 year old lad you just need to be mindful that things may not work out like this though... Things change a lot in 5 years, especially at that age. He could meet the partner of his dreams/land an amazing job in the UK and you could face him living on the other side of the world forever.

I not sure if your son would qualify for RRV after this as you need to live in a minimum of two years in Oz to qualify I believe in that 5 years?

He he wouldn't need an RRV. You have 5 years to enter from the date of visa grant. As long as he enters within the five years and then doesn't need to travel for a while he would be fine.

He he wouldn't need an RRV. You have 5 years to enter from the date of visa grant. As long as he enters within the five years and then doesn't need to travel for a while he would be fine.

Plus, if he was just over the 5 years, with his whole family here he would stand a good chance of a 3 month RRV if necessary to get him here.

Plus, if he was just over the 5 years, with his whole family here he would stand a good chance of a 3 month RRV if necessary to get him here.

Almost certain something to plan for given assuming visa granted and activated for family now whilst he is 16 then could assume finishing A levels in UK moving on to a 3 year UNI (maybe even a 4 year) would stretch to the full 5 years when he is 21/22 with only the holiday visits in that time. Adding in a gap year could also make a difference.

Archived