Working holiday Visa to Permanent Resident Visa is it possible?

joshnbecci

My husband doesnt have enough years behind him to qualify for a Skills Assessment for a 189 visa so we are looking at going over on a 457 Sponsorship. We want to come out in March so he can see employers and really sell himself. I have 10 years of bar experience (2 yr supervisor) so I was thinking. If I come on a WHV and my HUsband comes on a ETA long stay with the children. I can work (upto 6 month) and he can look for a job.. but if the place I was working offered me a permanent position would I be able to take it and switch visas and add my husband and the kids onto it?

They will be on my husbands visa ETA - you can take children out on the visa

I understand what you are saying, but it's not a common situation. Presumably you would all be travelling to Aus together and living together. Therefore your dependent children will be accompanying you regardless of who's visa they are on.

It doesn't sound like a recipe for getting past customs at the airport on your way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, ill have to have another look at my options tonight. If the SKills Assessment didnt need 3 years post qualification this would be a simple process

My advice would be wait the 3 years until your OH has the relevant experience. Getting a job may not be easy even on a PR visa but on the visas you are stating could very well be darn near impossible.

Technical Cable Jointer Power and Engineering (not the telecommunications everyone keeps on thinking). Is his nominated in South Austrilia and NSW, but he has just finished his apprenticeship in the UK so nowhere near the 3years for Skills Assesment. We have enough points without Skills Assesment (for visa points) but we need the SA so he can get a license over there.

Its so annoying when the SA is the only thing stopping us! there must be a way to get assessed another way

Technical Cable Jointer Power and Engineering (not the telecommunications everyone keeps on thinking). Is his nominated in South Austrilia and NSW, but he has just finished his apprenticeship in the UK so nowhere near the 3years for Skills Assesment. We have enough points without Skills Assesment (for visa points) but we need the SA so he can get a license over there.

Its so annoying when the SA is the only thing stopping us! there must be a way to get assessed another way

Talk with an agent but I reckon you are going to have to wait. Over here he may well have to do further courses to make him eligible to work in his profession too.

My ANZSCO states that I am a level 3 and this is what it says:

Skill Level 3 : Occupations at Skill Level 3 have a level of skill commensurate with one of the following:

- NZ Register Level 4 qualification

- AQF Certificate IV or

- AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training.

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

From this I read that aslong as we have cert 111 and 2 years on the job training we should be able to apply for a Skills Assessment? (they may ask for more work experience if not enough evidence is provided) If this is the case, TRA shouls assess me?

My husband doesnt have enough years behind him to qualify for a Skills Assessment for a 189 visa so we are looking at going over on a 457 Sponsorship. We want to come out in March so he can see employers and really sell himself. I have 10 years of bar experience (2 yr supervisor) so I was thinking. If I come on a WHV and my HUsband comes on a ETA long stay with the children. I can work (upto 6 month) and he can look for a job.. but if the place I was working offered me a permanent position would I be able to take it and switch visas and add my husband and the kids onto it?

As others have said, your plan won't work because what you're proposing would be illegal (you're not supposed to apply for either a WHV or a tourist visa with the intention of staying permanently) - and if you all rock up together with lots of luggage and all your certificates etc, Immigration is almost certain to smell a rat and put you on the next plane back.

Besides, it would be disruptive to the family (what will your kids do for education?), with only a small possibility of being allowed to stay.

Even a 457 visa is a risky business for a family. It's just a temp job - that's all it is. You've got no job security: if the company goes bust, or decides to restructure, you're out of a job and you've got only 90 days to leave the country. In some states you'll have to pay full school fees for the kids, and you won't be entitled to any benefits. The employer may say they'll sponsor you for PR in the future, but they're not under any legal obligation to do so - you can't sue them if they change their mind, which many do.

If you can afford it, you may decide it's worth it for the adventure - but most people say it costs £20,000 to £30,000 to emigrate, and then almost as much if you're forced to go home again, so you really have to decide whether you can afford to gamble that much of your savings.

As my last post said we have the potential to go out on a 190. I wouldn't be doing anything illegal and as for the risks involved yes it worth it. You won't get anywhere without a gamble my children are 1 and 2 they are too young for school but i wouldn't be commiting to anything without my own financial security if anything went wrong.

As my last post said we have the potential to go out on a 190. I wouldn't be doing anything illegal and as for the risks involved yes it worth it. You won't get anywhere without a gamble my children are 1 and 2 they are too young for school but i wouldn't be commiting to anything without my own financial security if anything went wrong.

Your original proposal - going out on a WHV and a tourist visa with the intention of staying - IS illegal. If you have the potential to go out on a 190 then that's the way to go.

If your husband requires a licence and to do so requires a skills assessment, then why would you think being here on a 457 he wont need a licence. If he lobs up looking for a job on a 457 then he has no qualifications worth talking until they are assessed to an Australian standard and he will still probably need a Licence to work unsupervised. Seems like at some stage he needs to do some sort of skills assessment otherwise he is only presenting a foreign apprenticeship without any post qualification experience.

There is a reason why skills assessments are in place and why they require post qualification experience.

A few years post apprenticeship experience is going to be the answer to what you are seeking.

The risk is, you and your husband get kicked out for trying to find work when visiting on a holiday visa, what do you think your chances of getting another visa would be after that? and why would an employer go to the trouble of sponsoring someone from the UK when they can get a locally trained person, unemployment is higher in Australia than the UK at the moment so you'd be up against plenty locals for any jobs you apply for, you would be setting yourself up for a lot of expense and disappointment with almost no hope of success.

Archived