Should we risk all and leave our jobs in UK for 457 visa?

Needtoknow

They would need to be dependent when you apply for PR and (unless its changed very recently) when its granted.

That means not working, not in a relationship, dependent on you totally.

Think i saw somewhere that even doing a part time job whilst at Uni affects dependant status as well as being over 18. Best as others said consult an agent.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a difficult one - I was a similar age as you when I came over on a 457 - luckily my employer sponsored me for PR and made a special case as I was over 45. I work in IT and this was 10 years ago. I doubt someone with my experience could do that now - plenty of experience in Australian marketplace. I do know how much you must want to come, and how urgent this must feel. If you were an experienced GP, vet,niche IT consultant I'd even suggest giving it a go.... But your chances of securing a permanent teacher job in Australia are low and you have the golden ticket - UK permanent teaching with no doubt an attractive pension and you have to think practically about such matters. That pension will enable you to take regular breaks to Australia to see your family... Your kids are established in uni, you haven't got a skill in demand, and you're giving up a secure and comfortable life for one that would be very risky and could be financially very damaging. Unless you are very rich, I'd consider carefully!

Hi again. Can I ask why you think I am unlikely to get a permanent job in Australia? Is it because it's not on the SOL list or do you just know from living there and perhaps people you know? Thanks. Leanne

You may be lucky and get one, but primary school teachers are not a shortage here (whatever the lists may say) and there are many Australian graduates leaving university each year who will compete with you for the jobs - and they have Australian backgrounds and youth on their side. Sorry to be harsh, but thats the way it is here these days.

I think it is because there are to many teachers? I have heard people only securing teaching roles out in the sticks and it's extremely hard in the cities due to to many applicants.

hopefully some other teachers will be able to share experience.

In regards to children they have to be fully dependent on you to be able to be included in your visa application :-(

I could try to teach where my brother is in the Blue Mountains region. That's quite a way out, but still no guarantee I suppose. So I guess that even if we go for a 489 visa this will still not allow my kids to be accepted with us permanently without them applying themselves?

I could try to teach where my brother is in the Blue Mountains region. That's quite a way out, but still no guarantee I suppose. So I guess that even if we go for a 489 visa this will still not allow my kids to be accepted with us permanently without them applying themselves?

Blue Mountains is not on the regional list for 489 visa.

There are 7 regional area for the 489 Visa in NSW.

Seven regions in NSW participate in NSW's 489 program. These are:

Hi again Nemesis. If the company goes bust or lays him off can he get a job elsewhere and therefore stay in Australia?

Tip: when you are replying to someone, click the "reply with quote" instead of just "reply", it makes it easier for others to follow the conversation.

If he got laid off then yes he could get another job anywhere in Australia - BUT you only have 90 days to leave the country so he'd have to get the job within that time. And the employer would have to be eligible to sponsor for a 457 so it's not as easy as getting any job - many employers just don't want all the hassle of dealing with immigration unless they're really stuck for staff. It's illegal for companies to manufacture a job just to get someone a visa, so it would be a big ask to expect your brother's company to do that.

Oh I see. Thank you. If we were to go on a 457 and the sponsor laid him off or went into liquidation could he get a job anywhere in NSW or is it the same conditions as the 489 visa?

He couldn't get a job anywhere. The new employer would need to be an eligible employer and sponsor him for a new 457.

He could get a job anywhere in Australia as long as he was sponsored by an employer.

There's a lot of negativity on this forum re:457. And it's not easy, because you are always looking over your shoulder in case you get made redundant. BUT. You're in your 40's, your kids are practically adults, this is your time. Go for it. Take a risk. You never know what will happen in life and at least you'll have tried.

My hubby & I and my 15 year old step son came over almost 5 years ago on a 457. We were in a very precarious industry and a few times we thought we'd have to go back to the UK. However, we got PR in 2013 and then on 26 Jan this year I became a citizen (just applied for my Oz passport!). So it can work out. Just to add a bit of balance to the "got made redundant, had to go home" stories.

I do think you have some serious thinking to do. It sounds like you may have to choose between your relatives and your children, because there is a real possibility your children will find it impossible to migrate by the time they've finished their studies and gained enough years of work experience to even apply - after all, by that time they'll be settled in jobs, they may have met the love of their life (who may not want to move to Oz) - they may even have babes of their own!

Even if they're willing to migrate, it's getting tougher and tougher all the time to do so. I don't know what occupations your children are studying for and whether they're on the SOL or CSOL now - but Australia's economy is in a downturn and unemployment is going up, so the SOL and CSOL are getting shorter and shorter because there are enough locals to fill the jobs.

On reflection, maybe a 457 is the way to go - treat it as an extended visit so you can spend real quality time with your relatives, but don't sell your home and be ready to come back at the end of it to be close to your children.

Everything I try seems to have a sticking point. It seems far too risky! I really appreciate this advice thank you. Have I repled correctly this time? Ha ha

Tip: when you are replying to someone, click the "reply with quote" instead of just "reply", it makes it easier for others to follow the conversation.

If he got laid off then yes he could get another job anywhere in Australia - BUT you only have 90 days to leave the country so he'd have to get the job within that time. And the employer would have to be eligible to sponsor for a 457 so it's not as easy as getting any job - many employers just don't want all the hassle of dealing with immigration unless they're really stuck for staff. It's illegal for companies to manufacture a job just to get someone a visa, so it would be a big ask to expect your brother's company to do that.

Wow I'm so happy for you. That is great news and a breath of fresh air. I hope we can be so fortunate.

He could get a job anywhere in Australia as long as he was sponsored by an employer.

There's a lot of negativity on this forum re:457. And it's not easy, because you are always looking over your shoulder in case you get made redundant. BUT. You're in your 40's, your kids are practically adults, this is your time. Go for it. Take a risk. You never know what will happen in life and at least you'll have tried.

My hubby & I and my 15 year old step son came over almost 5 years ago on a 457. We were in a very precarious industry and a few times we thought we'd have to go back to the UK. However, we got PR in 2013 and then on 26 Jan this year I became a citizen (just applied for my Oz passport!). So it can work out. Just to add a bit of balance to the "got made redundant, had to go home" stories.

Yes the harsh reality is that they could do what I did and stay in England. My mother left when I was 21 and I got married and had children and never ended up going.

My son is studying law at Cambridge and my daughter is doing a teaching degree like her mum. They would have to do extra study in Oz I think. If we could get enough points for an independent 189 visa, is this a permanent visa? A while ago an agent said they could go on the visa, as at the moment they are dependent on me. I heard somewhere that as long as they then decide to go to Oz before the end of a 5 year period they could migrate to be with us later? But by then they will be out of uni etc. so I wonder if this is true?

I do think you have some serious thinking to do. It sounds like you may have to choose between your relatives and your children, because there is a real possibility your children will find it impossible to migrate by the time they've finished their studies and gained enough years of work experience to even apply - after all, by that time they'll be settled in jobs, they may have met the love of their life (who may not want to move to Oz) - they may even have babes of their own!

Even if they're willing to migrate, it's getting tougher and tougher all the time to do so. I don't know what occupations your children are studying for and whether they're on the SOL or CSOL now - but Australia's economy is in a downturn and unemployment is going up, so the SOL and CSOL are getting shorter and shorter because there are enough locals to fill the jobs.

On reflection, maybe a 457 is the way to go - treat it as an extended visit so you can spend real quality time with your relatives, but don't sell your home and be ready to come back at the end of it to be close to your children.

Hi. We are new to this and are wondering if we can trust leaving our permanent jobs and life in the UK for a 457 visa route. We need it to become permanent as my family all live there. We can't do the skills assessment route as the companies my partner worked for have gone out of business and we can't trace them for evidence! As we only have a year and half until we reach the age limit of 45 (50 won't get us the points), we need to act now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there, I hope my experience will help you!

Hubby and I came out on his 457 in July 2011, we knew it was a temporary visa and therefore did not sell our UK house, and put all our possessions and car in storage - we treated it as an adventure knowing we may never get permanent residency but we had no kids and felt it would be awesome to work in another country and live in Sydney. All was going well but my hubby was told he would be made redundant 9months after coming over - we were gutted but always new the risks, also back then you only had 28days from the time you finish to find a new sponsor or leave. Thankfully they gave him about 4months notice of the redundancy and asked him to stay until the end offering a good package to do so.

During that 4 months my company decided to sponsor me so we then went onto my 457 visa which was awesome and we continued as normal, hubby stayed until the end and then found a new job with no worries. I had been at my company and on my visa for nearly 2 years (which is when a company can decide whether to sponsor you for PR) and guess what...... I got made redundant - again we knew the visa was only temporary but being so close to PR was heartbreaking - Anyway the good thing was that the rules had changed and instead of 28days we now had 3 months to find a new sponsor or leave the country - All the time we knew we had everything to go back to in the UK except jobs - We had had an awesome time in OZ and it was a great life experience so if we went home we knew we had had a blast!

Hubby's new company (massive Telco) didn't want to lose him so guess what - we got sponsored again! YAY! We did make a pact though that if redundancy happened again we would not try for another 457 and go home with awesome memories. Well that was 1 year and 11 months ago and the company want to sponsor him/us for PR via the 457 pathway - We are over the moon and have already done the police checks and medicals ready to submit in March - they have already enlisted a agent for us and have given written guarantee of his job etc... Obviously its not final until we get the PR, anything can happen and we are not getting comfy until we see that PR grant but its an exciting time for us. I am 38 and my husband is 48 so it was now or never for him due to the age limit of 50.

The moral of my story is that the 457 visa IS only temporary, there are no guarantees and redundancy does strike (twice in our case!!!). You need to come with the attitude that anything can and will happen and you have to be prepared to go home to the UK - many do not make it to PR via this visa. We have been on a roller coaster ride for nearly 5 years but have loved every minute of living and working here and are looking forward to hopefully calling Oz our permanent home but like I said until I see that PR grant I am still prepared for anything.

There are good and bad stories about the 457 visa but is was the only option for us as we are not on the skilled SOL list only the CSOL which needed sponsorship- it is not for everyone - we have also been very lucky that we have been re-sponsored when redundancy hit.

I hope this gives you an insight into the ups and downs of the 457 - I am glad I did it, its been a great life experience but you must come with the mindset that is it temporary and nothing else or it will eat you up worrying about getting PR or going home.

Good luck!

Hubby and I came out on his 457 in July 2011, we knew it was a temporary visa and therefore did not sell our UK house, and put all our possessions and car in storage - we treated it as an adventure knowing we may never get permanent residency but we had no kids and felt it would be awesome to work in another country and live in Sydney. All was going well but my hubby was told he would be made redundant 9months after coming over - we were gutted but always new the risks, also back then you only had 28days from the time you finish to find a new sponsor or leave. Thankfully they gave him about 4months notice of the redundancy and asked him to stay until the end offering a good package to do so.

During that 4 months my company decided to sponsor me so we then went onto my 457 visa which was awesome and we continued as normal, hubby stayed until the end and then found a new job with no worries. I had been at my company and on my visa for nearly 2 years (which is when a company can decide whether to sponsor you for PR) and guess what...... I got made redundant - again we knew the visa was only temporary but being so close to PR was heartbreaking - Anyway the good thing was that the rules had changed and instead of 28days we now had 3 months to find a new sponsor or leave the country - All the time we knew we had everything to go back to in the UK except jobs - We had had an awesome time in OZ and it was a great life experience so if we went home we knew we had had a blast!

Hubby's new company (massive Telco) didn't want to lose him so guess what - we got sponsored again! YAY! We did make a pact though that if redundancy happened again we would not try for another 457 and go home with awesome memories. Well that was 1 year and 11 months ago and the company want to sponsor him/us for PR via the 457 pathway - We are over the moon and have already done the police checks and medicals ready to submit in March - they have already enlisted a agent for us and have given written guarantee of his job etc... Obviously its not final until we get the PR, anything can happen and we are not getting comfy until we see that PR grant but its an exciting time for us. I am 38 and my husband is 48 so it was now or never for him due to the age limit of 50.

The moral of my story is that the 457 visa IS only temporary, there are no guarantees and redundancy does strike (twice in our case!!!). You need to come with the attitude that anything can and will happen and you have to be prepared to go home to the UK - many do not make it to PR via this visa. We have been on a roller coaster ride for nearly 5 years but have loved every minute of living and working here and are looking forward to hopefully calling Oz our permanent home but like I said until I see that PR grant I am still prepared for anything.

There are good and bad stories about the 457 visa but is was the only option for us as we are not on the skilled SOL list only the CSOL which needed sponsorship- it is not for everyone - we have also been very lucky that we have been re-sponsored when redundancy hit.

I hope this gives you an insight into the ups and downs of the 457 - I am glad I did it, its been a great life experience but you must come with the mindset that is it temporary and nothing else or it will eat you up worrying about getting PR or going home.

That's exactly how I was suggesting the OP should proceed, treat it as an adventure and be prepared to come home at any time.

You have certainly been through it! But it has been worth it in the end. Thank you for putting so much effort into sharing your experiences. I really hope it turns out ok. Not sure I could cope with having to leave, but like you say I have no choice. I am going to speak to an agent tomorrow and sort out CV ready to apply for jobs.

Good luck!

Archived