Immigration Issues

Chorley FM

Hi All,

Been settled in Australia for four or so years now and the inevitable has happened and I need to make an unforseen rushed trip back to the UK.... I was granted Citizenship on Australia day and am now an Australian Citizen :) and this is where my problem starts...

I have not had chance to apply for an Australian Passport yet and currently, technically do not have a visa (canceled with citizenship) I may need to leave in the next two days and will have to leave on my British as according to the passport office I will not be able to get an Australian one to get back in. Immigration say I can't get back in too. My only option is to apply in person in London but then I have to be there 10 working days to receive it, I will be leaving my partner and two year old in Australia so the less time I am there the better :(

Does anyone have any other ideas? Going to be honest the passport office and immigration have both been equally useless... It was me who suggested getting one in London they just simply said it was impossible to get one.

Thanks

Rob

Thanks again, I did ask the passport office and they could not check waiting times in the UK (website says up to 4/weeks for the initial appointment) although I imagine it would not be anywhere near that.

I'm going to call them later, hopefully a letter from the hospital may bump me up the queue if there is one.

Thanks

Sorry should of said I'm in regional Australia and 5 hours away from passport office/capital city and you have to apply in person seems like everything is against me at the moment :(

I had to do the priory passport bit last year, you can go to the post office and they will send it off for you, but you won't get it back before you go, could somebody post it on to you?

At the end of the day. Take proof you are a citizen. Turn up at the airport for your return flight well ahead of time as the airline will need to check you out. People have done this in the past, it is a hassle and will delay you for your return flight but they should allow you to board.

You will also get grief at immigration but in the end you will get through.

You need a valid passport and proof of citizenship, but they don't have to be the same document. When you check in for the flight explain the circumstances, be overly apologetic for not having an Australian passport, and you should be fine. I had to do a similar thing and had no problem.

I got my daughters at the London office, you can pay extra and get it within like 4 days from interview date. Apply online then call the London office and arrange an appointment for when you get there. The staff are really nice and helpful just take the requested documentation, pictures etc and pay the extra fee and you'll be sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my daughters at the London office, you can pay extra and get it within like 4 days from interview date. Apply online then call the London office and arrange an appointment for when you get there. The staff are really nice and helpful just take the requested documentation, pictures etc and pay the extra fee and you'll be sorted.

Er, he lives in regional Oz, so not sure they going to London, to get a passport out of Australia is really feasible?

I worked on a Government IT project back in the UK and I was told that you don't actually need a passport to get into the UK, just a way of proving who you are and that you have the right to enter the UK. Of course, a passport is the easiest way to do this.

Now Australia does say you have to leave and enter on an Aussie passport but I've known people in situations like yours who've managed to get out and back in again, admittedly with a bit of hassle attached. The problem is the airlines, who have to ensure that you are eligible to enter Australia otherwise they have to foot the cost of repatriating you. If you front up without a visa or passport, they have to get hold of immigration to see if they'll take you and with time zone differences that can be a real problem.

I'd play safe and get a same day passport here before you fly.

Er, he lives in regional Oz, so not sure they going to London, to get a passport out of Australia is really feasible?

Just thought that if needed they could apply once they were in the UK. No need to be rude.

Archived