Cats in rental properties - Sydney Surry Hills

agm

Hi everyone.

I will shortly be moving to Sydney but will fly out initially to get a rental property in the Surry Hills area sorted. My question is, does anyone on here have any experience of renting in Sydney and being able to have pets in the property too? I know the law changed recently moving the default tenancy position to allow animals. However, when searching for property on realestate.com.au, selecting the 'allow pets' filter brings up no properties available.

I have tried emailing several agents to ask about the availability of this kind of property but do not get a response.

I will be spending a lot of money to get my cat from the UK to Australia as it is.

Any advice will be really appreciated. What do we do?

Thanks

Aaron

TBH, a lot of people keep cats in apartments in Sydney and just don't tell the landlord! Of course it has to be an indoors cat for that to work, you're unlikely to have trouble unless a neighbour complains and since cats don't bark, you're pretty right.

As you say, the default position is now that pets are allowed so it's not mentioned in ads so much any more - the newer the block, the more likely is that pets are OK anyway.

Thanks for the reassurance Marisawright - she is an indoor cat as is chilled / as good as gold. Is it a case of just renting and keeping quiet about it (and hiding the cat when there are property inspections or viewings)?

I've read elsewhere that newer houses are more likely to be anti-cat because the decor is new etc.

I am considering telephoning a few rental agencies tonight in Surry Hills (the start of the Oz working day) tonight to ask them their opinions on what we should do.

Thanks for the reassurance Marisawright - she is an indoor cat as is chilled / as good as gold. Is it a case of just renting and keeping quiet about it (and hiding the cat when there are property inspections or viewings)?

I've read elsewhere that newer houses are more likely to be anti-cat because the decor is new etc.

I am considering telephoning a few rental agencies tonight in Surry Hills (the start of the Oz working day) tonight to ask them their opinions on what we should do.

Don't ask the rental agencies, if you even SUGGEST you're going to keep quiet about it, they'll blacklist you!

Newer blocks are more likely to have the new strata laws which allow pets as standard, and some won't have bothered to change that. Older blocks would be the opposite - they would've originally had a "no pets" clause and are likely to have kept that.

Please don't go against the wishes of the property owner. It's not necessarily the case that the landlord is anti-pet, in many cases (including my own) it's simply that our insurance does not cover having animals on the property.

Just be upfront that you want to keep an animal. Be aware that you'll be made to pay for pest treatments when you leave and you may be required to pay extra bond (not applicable in all states)

Edited by Eera

As a landlord I find it incredibly rude that tenants consider going against the wishes of the property owner. It's not necessarily the case that the landlord is anti-pet, in many cases (including my own) it's simply that our insurance does not cover having animals on the property.

Just be upfront that you want to keep an animal. Be aware that you'll be made to pay for pest treatments when you leave and you may be required to pay extra bond (not applicable in all states)

Thanks for the other side of the coin. As a one time landlord myself (of a tenant who sneaked in a dog which then ripped up my carpet), as well as a to-be landlord again (renting my house out for a year while I give Oz a try) I see both sides.

I'm more than happy to be upfront about having a cat in the property and to pay a little extra for it. I am a little worried about being so open if there is a chance of being blacklisted - and let's face it, the market for rental properties is already super competitive in Sydney.

An issue is that listings are not always clear and that agents do not respond to requests for clarification by potential tenants who are willing to be honest - hence my post about it today asking for advice.

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by agm

Don't restrict your search to those that allow pets only - we found after applying for a rental, we asked for permission to have a cat and that was granted. Had to agree to flea spray on exit. Not sure about NSW but in Brisbane oversupply of rental properties means that landlords that want to rent their property need to be less picky - they're currently doing gimmicky things like offering cinema vouchers etc, but hopefully only a matter of time before landlords and agencies learn that allowing pets and children will enable them to let the property sooner and more reliably. You may need to pick an older/less desirable property but I would come clean myself - people do dob tenants in to landlords -a dog stayed for an overnight visit at our place and the landlord found out....

Is there a link to the law about letting with pets? Is it national or just nsw?

No, there's no national law. Here in Tassie you will see rental ads saying "sorry, no pets allowed". However, if it's not mentioned it can be negotiated with the landlord. Often they will use their discretion depending on the type of animal, how responsible the tenant appears and the type of property, eg. pets are more usual than not on semi rural or large suburban blocks.

We have two cats and it was no problem getting a rental in Surry Hills. We are currently in a very nice, newer apartment building and a lot of the tenants have cats or dogs. We rented through Charles & Stuart but I am not sure if this is one of their areas where they have rentals or it was more of an incidental find. You can call their office in Double Bay and ask. The ad did not say pet friendly, we just asked.

I am a little worried about being so open if there is a chance of being blacklisted.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post (and I misunderstood yours). I thought you said you were going to ask an agent whether to keep the cat a secret - that would be a very bad idea. You can't get blacklisted for admitting you have a cat. If you feel uncomfortable about keeping it quiet, then just go ahead and be honest - you'll miss out on a few rentals but you will find one.

Edited by Marisawright

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post (and I misunderstood yours). I thought you said you were going to ask an agent whether to keep the cat a secret - that would be a very bad idea. You can't get blacklisted for admitting you have a cat. If you feel uncomfortable about keeping it quiet, then just go ahead and be honest - you'll miss out on a few rentals but you will find one.

Oh Okay, thanks again!

I think Northshorepom is correct the changes in NSW are a change in strata law (these changes are due to come into effect July '16) where maybe before there was a ban on having pets at all in the building to individual owners (or their tenants) being allowed to have pets.

I wouldn't assume that owners by law have to now allow pets, that simply won't happen. Landlords have the last say with anything to do with the rental the agent only manages the property.

Also I wouldn't use the word 'blacklisted' which is a strong word, but when you take out a rental agreement and pay your bond you are agreeing to the conditions of the agreement. If you break your agreement for say not disclosing you have a pet you can have your lease terminated and it will affect your rental history future.