Brisbane Airport - International to Domestic Terminal with luggage and kids

dv4

Hi,

We're about to make the move in a month or so and are trying to sort out our flight tickets and connections.

We've travelled to Sydney on holiday previously and it was quite an experience getting through immigration, customs and quarantine...took us the better part of 90mins to actually exit through the airport doors...

Our big move is via Brisbane airport, with loads of luggage and 2 very exhausted kids in tow..

1. Any estimates on how long it might take to make it through from the plane to exiting the terminal? I understand it varies depending on passenger load etc. We arrive at 7.15am on singapore airlines. I expect to be fully loaded with luggage, a baby stroller, car seat and kids...sitting ducks for the quarantine/customs/baggage check officers... :)

2. I've read there is a free bus to the domestic terminal and it takes 10mins to get there...would taking this bus work for us or should I be looking at taking a taxi?

3. I'm estimating 30-45 mins for waiting + travel time for the taxi/shuttle bus to the domestic terminal...does this sound accurate?

Thanks in advance! any information would be much appreciated...

Cannot guarantee 100% accuracy in your questions but below is my view.

1. I would factor 1hr for this. Early morning is an extremely busy arrival time at BNE. It shouldn't take you more than 1hr. I have NEVER been more than 1hr but then again I've never had kids in tow. Having a 'smart' biometric passport and ensuring that your immigration forms are correctly and truthfully completed will speed things up!

2. This is true provided you have a boarding pass or can show a flight confirmation with Qantas or Virgin for your domestic departure I believe. If you are flying domestic with Jetstar, Tiger or anyone else, you might want to confirm with airline directly. Recommend you check the Brisbane Airport website for more information on this. There is also the air train which may be free between international and domestic. You could try to take a taxi, it may cost you $10, it's not v far! You have options!

3. Yes that sounds fair to me.

Hi,

We're about to make the move in a month or so and are trying to sort out our flight tickets and connections.

We've travelled to Sydney on holiday previously and it was quite an experience getting through immigration, customs and quarantine...took us the better part of 90mins to actually exit through the airport doors...

Our big move is via Brisbane airport, with loads of luggage and 2 very exhausted kids in tow..

1. Any estimates on how long it might take to make it through from the plane to exiting the terminal? I understand it varies depending on passenger load etc. We arrive at 7.15am on singapore airlines. I expect to be fully loaded with luggage, a baby stroller, car seat and kids...sitting ducks for the quarantine/customs/baggage check officers... :)

2. I've read there is a free bus to the domestic terminal and it takes 10mins to get there...would taking this bus work for us or should I be looking at taking a taxi?

3. I'm estimating 30-45 mins for waiting + travel time for the taxi/shuttle bus to the domestic terminal...does this sound accurate?

Thanks in advance! any information would be much appreciated...

Getting through obviously depends on how many planes have landed - early morning can be busy, but I would say you should get through in 45min-60min max. They have the electronic immigration checking system for use by Aus passport holders which speeds things up for them and frees up for non Aus passport holders. We came back from UK on Friday, landing at 6:30am and were outside the terminal (with hold luggage) being picked up at 7:00.

Taxi/shuttle should be pretty quick as the two terminals are close 15-20 mins max would be my guess.

Good luck with the move.

In my recent experience any aeroplane originating in a low-risk country pretty much gets waved through without much inspection. Passengers coming from India and the like get subjected to a much higher scrutiny.

I generally get through flights with Virgin group and they give you a token for free transfer, as I understand it, if you don't have a through flight from international to domestic you have to buy a token from the kiosk near the baggage collection but don't quote me on that as it's not something I've ever done. Buses are more frequent than the airtrain.

Brisbane is seriously not a big airport like Sydney so you'll find it easy to navigate.

Every time we have gone through BNE we have been waived through. Being low risk country passport holder, having everything in cases or bags and I suppose our ages (40's) acts in our favor. Unfortunately and incorrectly in my eyes, far Eastern South American and South Asian flights get checked more thoroughly.

BNE is not a busy airport and you should not have any issues.

S

The only problem we had last time we arrived was that the machine for biometric passports was being very selective about accepting some passports!

Neither my husband or I have ever had a problem before, but after queueing mine was fine, my husband's refused for no reason, and they made him go to the back of the regular queue!!! Was not amused, and neither was I having to lug suitcases off the carousel.

Smart gates are not just for Aus passport holders so if you have a biometric UK passport you can use these gates too!

Not with children you can't. Australian children can go through from the age of ten, children of other nationalities have to be 16.

Thank you everyone for the replies...it's been really helpful and much appreciated!

...fingers crossed it's a stress free move.

Remember that you will need to check your lyggage in again. You have to collect it at Brisbane to go through customs, then take it to the check in area for whichever airline you are flying onward with

International arrival in Brisbane should be no more than an hour from aircraft to being in the arrivals hall.

Brisbane is quicker and easier than Sydney though, that airport is horrendous.

Remember that you will need to check your lyggage in again. You have to collect it at Brisbane to go through customs, then take it to the check in area for whichever airline you are flying onward with

International arrival in Brisbane should be no more than an hour from aircraft to being in the arrivals hall.

Brisbane is quicker and easier than Sydney though, that airport is horrendous.

Thank you again everyone...you've been most helpful.

My kids are not 10 yet, so it's the long winding passport queue for us...

Thanks for the reminder about having to re-check our luggage in for domestic...wish we could check the stuff right through directly an waltz to the gates...