Monarchy or Republic debate in the news again

Cerberus1

Mind boggling when thought about. Australia will IMO only truly come of age when shakes loose of the colonial in cumbrances of monarchy and embraces the confidence within its own political system to go it alone.

We do go it alone.

Our system works fine as it is.

The Queen is a figurehead. A symbolic role.

Whether we like it or not, we were settled by the British and should not try and forget our past.

We do go it alone.

Whether we like it or not, we were settled by the British and should not try and forget our past.

Well it doesn't necessary work well as was shown in 1975. Oh wait you were at home in England then so probably unaware of the turbulence caused.

So not entirely a Figure Head, and even if so, why do we need one? Even Fiji has, it appears taken the jump on Australia and looking to change flag and I believe drop the Queen.

You Poms have got to let go sometime and embrace the new reality Australia. If you do want a Queen, there is a place you can go. Although the ways things are moving UK mat cast aside the monarchy before Australia.

The Queen never interferes in politics in any way.

The Prime Minister decides on the Governor General and it is always rubber stamped by the Queen.

Then the constitution applies.

The system works. If Whitlam was paralysed in office then something had to give.

The election shortly after verified the correct decision was made.

Even if it could have happened another way that is more down to the man in that office and his actions, rather than the system itself.

What are the advantages of a republic over a constitutional monarchy? Given a choice, how many would-be republicans would choose to live in the USA over Canada?

Advantage? No part of your system of government depends upon birthright

No more or less than that. It's worth it IMO. Principles are important

Personally I'd choose to live in the USA over almost anywhere else, given a free hand. I don't, primarily because my wife doesn't like much of what little of the US she has seen. Personally I loved living there. I am in awe of the country's perpetual ability in business to re-invent and improve things (they truly have the innovation engine nailed) almost as much as I am the diversity and immensity of the landscapes and energy of the cities

We have the same argument here in Canada from time to time. While I personally don't have any interest in the royal family whatsoever, I can't see any point to changing the system. It's such a waste of time and money when we've got far bigger fish to fry. Politicians love to distract us from the really important issues with trivial items. The only impact they have in Canada is what's going to be stamped on the back of the coins. I suspect it's similar in Australia.

We do go it alone.

Makes no difference whom we were settled by. Modern day realities are changing. British influence is on the wane and this will likely accelerate over the coming decades as a newer, more in tuned with Australia's place in the world comes ever more clearer into focus.

As such a clear Australian identity requires making, unless other outside influences preferred to impose greater cultural superiority?

We have the same argument here in Canada from time to time. While I personally don't have any interest in the royal family whatsoever, I can't see any point to changing the system. It's such a waste of time and money when we've got far bigger fish to fry. Politicians love to distract us from the really important issues with trivial items. The only impact they have in Canada is what's going to be stamped on the back of the coins. I suspect it's similar in Australia.

But isn't it galling for Canadian republicans having the utopian example of the American republic just over the border?

I.must do some research into why Canada did not join with the US in the first place.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Makes no difference whom we were settled by. Modern day realities are changing. British influence is on the wane and this will likely accelerate over the coming decades as a newer, more in tuned with Australia's place in the world comes ever more clearer into focus.

As such a clear Australian identity requires making, unless other outside influences preferred to impose greater cultural superiority?

No more law and government and public service based upon Britain eh? Same with the armed forces, oh and many other professions. Rip them all up and start again to make us more acceptable to migrants other than British or Irish. The irony there Is that so many migrants were attracted to OZ in the first place by our British style institutions and government.

No more law and government and public service based upon Britain eh? Same with the armed forces, oh and many other professions. Rip them all up and start again to make us more acceptable to migrants other than British or Irish. The irony there Is that so many migrants were attracted to OZ in the first place by our British style institutions and government.

I am fully aware of where your Britisher sentiments lay. Australia can maintain what has become inherently Australian by means of the British connection, if that is the will, without requiring a monarch or flag to remind us of former status.

A question better addressed to the very large number of Canadians that have moved across the border.

Is the US attractive to Canadians? If so, why?

A question better addressed to the very large number of Canadians that have moved across the border.

Yes a vast number live there. Employment . Far better housing prices (Canada, especially Vancouver is similar to Australia with way over inflated housing) Various reasons. Career in many areas more chance of taking off than if stayed home.

But isn't it galling for Canadian republicans having the utopian example of the American republic just over the border?

I.must do some research into why Canada did not join with the US in the first place.

Most Canadians are fiercely proud of not being American. That's not to say they don't like Americans, they just like Canada better. Weather aside, most Canadians prefer Canada over the US for a variety of reasons, especially for healthcare.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Money of course.

Mr flag makes it sound like Canadians can move there at will. Nothing can be further from the truth. There a very limited number of professions that you can fairly easily get a work permit for through a NAFTA agreement. All highly skilled and well paid. Those are the people who move to the US. For just about every other Canadian getting a work permit is never going to happen. Unless you marry an American getting permanent residence is almost impossible.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Peter Fitzimmons loves this particular debate and talks as if it's a done deal. I guess he has to talk with confidence. Personally he gets on my nerves when I see him, can't take him seriously when he had the bandana thing on. Does he think it makes him look cool? If it ain't broke don't spend millions trying to fix it.

Peter Fitzimmons loves this particular debate and talks as if it's a done deal. I guess he has to talk with confidence. Personally he gets on my nerves when I see him, can't take him seriously when he had the bandana thing on. Does he think it makes him look cool? If it ain't broke don't spend millions trying to fix it.

He's written one or two good books but I can't say I like him very much. He just annoys me.

He's not interested in debating the issue. He does not offer any reasons why a republican form of government has advantages over a constitutional monarchy. He talks about constitutional monarchy as if it is archaic but many countries are governed in this way, including in our region, e.g. Thailand and Japan.

Like many lefties he is not interested in how our democracy has developed over hundreds of years, but only in tearing it down, and if what replaces it is worst, so what.

He probably sees himself as the first president.