The coming Australia collapse

Guest xmas lights

It was very relevant to your struggling thoughts of any country, and was in no way shape or form about Australia or its comparison to Switzerland or any other country. But could you advise, in your opinion if Switzerland's economy is based mainly on a service industry or a manufacturing industry?

I have already stated. Switzerland is based on the financial industry.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must admit it's the Chinese and Japanese who seem to be moving over more than the Poms at the moment. This is just based on the areas I know and live which are on the East coast. Other areas may be different.

Japanese don't make the top ten source countries in the migration stakes. They do come in numbers to learn English and WHV and tourists, but in declining numbers than previous times.

I have noted for several years the decline in numbers of young Japanese language students whom back in the late 90's were very dominant here in Central Perth. Rapid rise in cost of living put paid to that as Perth became an expensive city.

China born migrants are ahead of Brits on the migration table but in recent years have fell back to India, which maintains prime position. One needs to look at numbers returning as well to gauge the actual brut number.

Guest The Pom Queen
Japanese don't make the top ten source countries in the migration stakes. They do come in numbers to learn English and WHV and tourists, but in declining numbers than previous times.

I have noted for several years the decline in numbers of young Japanese language students whom back in the late 90's were very dominant here in Central Perth. Rapid rise in cost of living put paid to that as Perth became an expensive city.

China born migrants are ahead of Brits on the migration table but in recent years have fell back to India, which maintains prime position. One needs to look at numbers returning as well to gauge the actual brut number.

I did say it was based on areas I know.

Oh yeah they complained about the kiwis too. Where I was I think there was more kiwis and Irish than Aussies lol. I just didn't realise they were kiwis at first because I can't tell the difference with accents most of the time

You will do soon enough!

I am not really aware of any developed country that makes any sort of satisfactory living from tourism. An area that creates mostly lower paid jobs. While helping to develop Thailand and Cambodia not necessary the answer to Australia's ever declining resource boom. .

Tourism is an important industry in New Zealand, directly contributing NZ$7.3 billion (or 3.7%) of the country's GDP in 2013, as well as directly supporting 110,800 full-time equivalent jobs (nearly 6% of New Zealand's workforce). A further 5% of GDP (or NZ$9.8 billion) is indirectly contributed through the flow-on effects of tourism. International tourist spending accounted for 16% of New Zealand's export earnings (nearly NZ$10 billion). International and domestic tourism contributes, in total, NZ$24 billion to New Zealand's economy every year.[2] Currently the Prime Minister John Key also serves as Minister of Tourism.[3]

As for Switzerland, a country in a prime Middle European position, small in area and population that has traditionally relied on its secret banking sector (more overt in recent times) in order to create wealth. Along with cuckoo clocks and a very educated local and many German and French commuting daily to work in high paid professions. Not forgetting a very high currency.Hardly a single identifiable feature with Australia, I'd have thought.

Secret maybe but more its efficiency and networks created for popularity of banking. And thriving biotech industry, watch making. Guess you could say a brain driven industry, compare to its neighbours Switzerland to France? similar to Singapore to Malaysia, New Zealand to Australia. Using services other than resources.

I am not really aware of any developed country that makes any sort of satisfactory living from tourism. An area that creates mostly lower paid jobs. While helping to develop Thailand and Cambodia not necessary the answer to Australia's ever declining resource boom.

Tourism is an important industry in New Zealand, directly contributing NZ$7.3 billion (or 3.7%) of the country's GDP in 2013, as well as directly supporting 110,800 full-time equivalent jobs (nearly 6% of New Zealand's workforce). A further 5% of GDP (or NZ$9.8 billion) is indirectly contributed through the flow-on effects of tourism. International tourist spending accounted for 16% of New Zealand's export earnings (nearly NZ$10 billion). International and domestic tourism contributes, in total, NZ$24 billion to New Zealand's economy every year.[2] Currently the Prime Minister John Key also serves as Minister of Tourism.[3]

OK, so now we're got Thailand, Cambodia and New Zealand. But can you think of any developed countries that make any sort of satisfactory living from Tourism?

I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice ...do you know why ?

BECAUSE WE ARE ALL IN THE **** ...SERIOUSLY

America is 17 trillion in debt

China isn't as healthy as it was making out

Britains recovery is good BUT , its never going back to how it was ....i have a chuckle when the govts talk of recovery ,there isn't one .

Barack Obama has spent more than all the other u.s presidents in history combined ( Lincoln to bush jr ) to keep America afloat,and they ain't pulling up any trees are they ?

The powers that be have used a so called downturn to screw all of us .

So if you are in oz and the sun is shining and you have your favourite drink in hand say

" bolloxks to them "....they want you scared and they want you in debt ,because if you are in debt ,they have you under control .

Get off the hamster wheel and set yourself free .....

OK, so now we're got Thailand, Cambodia and New Zealand. But can you think of any developed countries that make any sort of satisfactory living from Tourism?

The UK.

$50 billion and 1.4 million jobs directly supported by tourism.

£125 billion indirectly.

Rising over the next 10 years to 10% of GDP, which is very significant..

it just sounds the same to me most the time! Although most of them have been in Australia a long time so that's maybe why. I sound like a kiwi too sometimes - when I say six it sounds like something else lol

Yes you will know a Kiwi bloke when he tells you he had "six, sex times" and he did it on his "dick" (deck)

Secret maybe but more its efficiency and networks created for popularity of banking. And thriving biotech industry, watch making. Guess you could say a brain driven industry, compare to its neighbours Switzerland to France? similar to Singapore to Malaysia, New Zealand to Australia. Using services other than resources.

I don't deny tourism is important in creating jobs it does. Just generally low paid jobs. Regardless of locality. NZ wages are very low and costs high in comparison with Australia at the moment. Hence the long standing popularity of Australia as a place to work.

Switzerland is very much a brain driven country which provides a very high standard of living. It is highly attractive to professionals from not exactly poor Germany, due to higher pay scales and good pensions. Live in Germany and work in CH and get the benefits from both worlds. A rather unique country though Singapore is sometimes referred to as the Switzerland of Asia.

I don't deny tourism is important in creating jobs it does. Just generally low paid jobs. Regardless of locality. NZ wages are very low and costs high in comparison with Australia at the moment. Hence the long standing popularity of Australia as a place to work.

Switzerland is very much a brain driven country which provides a very high standard of living. It is highly attractive to professionals from not exactly poor Germany, due to higher pay scales and good pensions. Live in Germany and work in CH and get the benefits from both worlds. A rather unique country though Singapore is sometimes referred to as the Switzerland of Asia.

Labour market is in a state of flux. Seeming secure or high income of accountants is changing with market rates sliding to sub $40 per hour as technology and requirements change.

Tourism will change as the information value increases and scarcity of labour increases its value.

Labour market is in a state of flux. Seeming secure or high income of accountants is changing with market rates sliding to sub $40 per hour as technology and requirements change.

Tourism will change as the information value increases and scarcity of labour increases its value.

It's been awhile since accountants positions have appeared secured surely? Already an over supply. Local trained not finding a position on qualifying, yet area still open to foreign imports , in an area fast becoming obsolete in many areas due to robotics.

Rates to decline further but hardly a profession alone in that.

Just what areas do you envisage increasing pay scales in the tourist area? There are already 457 available in the area. Little to no chance of increasing value IMO.

TAFE churns out hospitality workers like no bodies business. Lots of untrained Back packers in the industry. I've been to places in Australia where they run the place.

A certain class of chef perhaps? Don't see much else.

I did say it was based on areas I know.

Just to give an example of the Cairns region, in order to support what I referred to.

There were some 1,500 Japanese living in the region last census.

1.1% of the population does make this the largest concentrated area in Australia of Japanese migrants.

But during a five year period the Cairns Region only saw an increase of 292 Japanese migrants over that period.

During the same time 480 migrants from PNG/ 692 from New Zealand/ 1, 153 from UK/ 517 from Philippines / and 374 from India arrived in the region placing Japanese well down the list and Chinese not featuring in the top groupings during this particular time.

Unlikely to be thankfully repeated in Australia. Service sectors more often referred to here being tourism, education, construction and assorted housing. But it is service but high earning and well established.

London also a financial service centre of the world. Must be why the UK cruised through the gfc. Being heavily reliant on any one industry is not a good idea but anyway to open your eyes on jobs created by tourism just look at the Gold coast recently...

Light rail - infrastructure

Hotel building - construction

Retail stores - Chinese like their high end stores

Restaurants

Now knock on jobs can be accountants, marketer's hotel managenent etc as well as your lower end maids and receptionists. It's like saying manufacturing only creates un skilled jobs...

Archived