The coming Australia collapse

Guest xmas lights

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here we go again. Doom and gloomers have been posting this stuff for at least 10 years.

Now the 'boom' has passed pretty much right. Warnings during boom times now a reality. A country that imports near everything outside of raw materials relying on consumption and services and an overinflated housing market for success? How long will that last as an alternative means to maintain living standards do you suppose?

wouldn't pay to much attention to these articles, business will always go up and down, it just the natural cycle...

Thing being of course Australia has largely escaped 'the cycle' over the past quarter of a century (almost) The wealth from the 'boom' allowed expenditure to minimise international downturns that impacted much the rest of the world, as well as the Asian financial crisis in the 90's.

We want be so lucky next time as the cupboard is rather bare. Those under early 40's will have little insight into a recession.

The mining boom is being replaced by the dining boom.

There is a huge and growing demand from China for our dairy products, baby formula, vitamins etc etc.

Blackmores shares are over $200 due to the huge growth in demand from China.

Tbf, there is news out of China that nears addressing, US interest rates will have an impact, and Australia is looking vulnerable.

To say people have warned before does not protect you if it all goes pear shaped tomorrow.

The question is whether this is a warning or an opportunity. But there's no denying the question. You have to look at how best to take advantage of what may happen. That may not be owning lots of investment property, or that may mean buying resource stocks. But it doesn't mean nothing.

Coal export from Qld increased some 2% last year so mining boom not exactly over is it?

Problem is that nothing new in the pipeline at the moment.

Once a mine (or rig) is setup, there are not that many jobs required (compared to the numbers required during setup).

Mining and O&G companies will be making some big profits soon, now there isn't any prospecting or building going on.

Well Australians built this country up to be a strong nation that immigrants from all over the world have come to take advantage of time and time again... I'm sure they'll be able to do it once more.

It's not Australian rocks but rather our Australian mentality that we mine. ;)

Chinese are buying farms in Tasmania - can't understand why they are allowed to. They could lease them for 50 years or whatever. Once they are sold, you can never get them back.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/chinese-buy-nations-largest-dairy-van-diemens-land-company/news-story/f35b55db81da953570307a65fe5a9637

I've just read another report stating the that particular dairy farm has not been sold to the Chinese company yet. There are other bidders.

"A new bidder has emerged for Australia's oldest dairy farm, the Van Diemen's Land Company (VDL) in north-west Tasmania, as the owners deny reports it has been sold to Chinese investors.

A national newspaper has reported two Chinese investors are finalising the purchase of a majority interest in the company but owners Taranaki Investment Management (TIML) said no stake had been sold and negotiations were continuing with several different investors, all of whom have signed confidentiality agreements.

Taranaki chairman Keith Sutton said the reports were wrong.

"TIML confirms VDL is on the market, but the media speculation of a sale is not correct," he said in a statement. "TIML and its advisers are in discussion with a number of parties who are completing due diligence and funding plans - all under strict non-disclosure and confidentiality requirements."

The 190-year-old VDL has always been foreign-owned, first by the British, now by New Zealand interests".

Problem is that nothing new in the pipeline at the moment.

Once a mine (or rig) is setup, there are not that many jobs required (compared to the numbers required during setup).

Mining and O&G companies will be making some big profits soon, now there isn't any prospecting or building going on.

No different to how it always has been before, normal cycle of the world. If people keep comparing using the "good times" as a base line then disappointment will prevail. Not unlike the Governments (State & Fed) basing their income/spending forecasts on the good times for political good looks and then blame the downturn when things do not work out!

When the company profits start rolling in again then more infrastructure works will follow.

Well Australians built this country up to be a strong nation that immigrants from all over the world have come to take advantage of time and time again... I'm sure they'll be able to do it once more.

The world sees it as "hard working immigrants recovered Australia, and made it what it is today"

The problem for Australia is the world has moved on

And at the helm of SS Australia are the cabin boys

I've never seen so many cranes in the sky in Brisbane. Must be 3 big developments going right now just down the road from me in Albion. Also many in newstead and the valley.

Saying that stock market is having big wobble out of China, so I wouldn't overstretch your finances but when is that ever a good idea.

Really? And Australia was one of the hardest impacted countries during the Great Depression. Tell me whatever did happen to that slogan being thrown about in the nineties The Intelligent Country? Wasn't a plan to make Adelaide as such?

Not much intelligence on display to date I'm afraid. After the biggest boom in its history WA is seriously floundering in debt. The minds that rule over us can come up with little more than the creation of debt to get us through along with a Ponzi population boom to keep over valued house prices high and talk about service industry leading the way. I'm struggling to find much smartness which ever direction I look.

The wing of a prayer more like it with a lot of hoping for the best.

I've never seen so many cranes in the sky in Brisbane. Must be 3 big developments going right now just down the road from me in Albion. Also many in newstead and the valley.

Saying that stock market is having big wobble out of China, so I wouldn't overstretch your finances but when is that ever a good idea.

Cranes come and disappear just as abruptly. The likelihood of over building in Brisbane is very probable. Not long ago Perth was in a similar situation. I wonder if they are actually building anything anybody really wants? Or is it more over priced student type bed sitters and one bedrooms?

No different to how it always has been before, normal cycle of the world. If people keep comparing using the "good times" as a base line then disappointment will prevail. Not unlike the Governments (State & Fed) basing their income/spending forecasts on the good times for political good looks and then blame the downturn when things do not work out!

When the company profits start rolling in again then more infrastructure works will follow.

Rather quite different. Quite some time since the last recession. The industrial base has been shut down largely during that time. I'm struggling to think of a single country that prospers through a largely service industry as a main stay.

All resource based countries are in the hit line but Brazil through Africa and Russia. Hard times ahead. Which company profits have you in mind?

Chinese are buying farms in Tasmania - can't understand why they are allowed to. They could lease them for 50 years or whatever. Once they are sold, you can never get them back.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/chinese-buy-nations-largest-dairy-van-diemens-land-company/news-story/f35b55db81da953570307a65fe5a9637

Quite correct. Especially to government influenced concerns. Look no further than the leasing of Darwin Port to see the stupidity in that even.

This such thing has been happening in our rural area for at least the last 5 or so years most of the farms in our area are foreign owned. Mostly chinese owned.

Cranes come and disappear just as abruptly. The likelihood of over building in Brisbane is very probable. Not long ago Perth was in a similar situation. I wonder if they are actually building anything anybody really wants? Or is it more over priced student type bed sitters and one bedrooms?

The point is that building is going on and people are working these projects. Even if its a flood of residential property with no demand at least there would be a knock on cost of housing decrease due to excess supply.

Rather quite different. Quite some time since the last recession. The industrial base has been shut down largely during that time. I'm struggling to think of a single country that prospers through a largely service industry as a main stay.

All resource based countries are in the hit line but Brazil through Africa and Russia. Hard times ahead. Which company profits have you in mind?

The ones which are mentioned in the quote I attached/responded to.

I think Switzerland may have done quite well largely on a service industry, and there are quite a few whom survive on servicing a tourist industry, to which Australia is not doing too bad at present with tourists - visitor figures well up I believe.

The ones which are mentioned in the quote I attached/responded to.

I think Switzerland may have done quite well largely on a service industry, and there are quite a few whom survive on servicing a tourist industry, to which Australia is not doing too bad at present with tourists - visitor figures well up I believe.

Falling dollar = more visitors. Tasmania is very busy just now with tourists. Saw a bus load of Chinese this morning getting off a bus to take photos.

Archived