between a rock and a hard place....doh

jgt

I wonder if the lack of work is just an excuse to return 'home'. I have seen this several times before where people use the line about not being able to get work as a way of returning to the UK, when in fact there is work but they just want to do a specific job and won't consider anything else and the reality is they just want to go back to the UK and this helps justify their return to themselves and the people back in the UK.

Read the news

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you can still shop after 8.00 pm in the UK :wink:

In Sainsburys or Tesco maybe. Where I love everything closes at half 5.

In nearby Cambridge it's the same - except one night which has late night shopping. Where in the uk is everything open so much later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In nearby Cambridge it's the same - except one night which has late night shopping. Where in the uk is everything open so much later?

Leeds manchester york and so on....

Guest The Pom Queen

I've had to delete a number of posts thanks to one member. Please can I ask you not to retaliate but to report and wait for a mod to come online

Guest The Pom Queen
Well its a funny one. I visited Brisbane in 2000 and fell for it hook line and sinker, cheap houses nice city, met steve Irwin and so decided that's where I was going. Fast forward 12 years and 2 kids later along with a constant nagging of the other half we applied for our PR visas and were sent to Perth.

I left a business in the UK during the recession and thought it was a shrewd move, I was also concerned about immigration and where it was all heading etc. Here I am 2 years and 3 months in and I am physically and mentally knackered. The high cost of living and the downturn in construction along with the upturn in construction in the UK as indicated by fellow uk workers has made me think of returning. However this is where my wife is of a different opinion. It took me years to persuade her to come here and now she doesn't want to return to the Uk.I t would probably be prudent to stay until we get our full citizenship but financially its crippling us.I was thinking of going back to re establish my old business and make some money to return. It was a niche business and very rewarding financially and I know it can be rekindled. I also miss the late shopping eating culture, a good curry, good customer service, and to be frank here in Perth its boring as . Has anyone been in the same situation, should we go to Brisbane, would that as a city and place be more happening.

Similar experiences appreciated, and please no off topic such as , immigration in the Uk, or Aus v Uk etc

Thanks guys

Sounds just like my hubby writing this. I'm the one now who never wants to return. It's so hard when you both want different things. Whichever way it's going to make one partner feel guilty.

I agree about getting your citizenship first. Have you been back since?

Guest The Pom Queen
Ok back to topic. Any advice from people who have moved state from perth to elswhere would be gratefully appreciated.:wink:

I didn't care for Melbourne, at first I thought it was great but after so long I was ready to move, if we hadn't gone interstate I may have even gone home. We went to Cairns and that was a turning point for me, Cairns actually became my home not just somewhere I had to live.

Guest The Pom Queen
No we havent , we only have enough resources to move back if that goes were up the creek, i suppose thats why im worried, construction forecast doesnt look good im afraid

Could you start applying for jobs on the East coast and if something comes up you can sit and talk it through with your wife. I understand about moving the children again, we were the same.

Its great to get helpful opinions, and those that have had similar experiences. I dont want tto give up. we have been here over 2 years

Thanks for all the constructive help

How old are your children? We drove from Perth to Sydney with two under threes. I was dreading it but they seemed to thrive on the long trip and were no trouble at all.

Even here in Devonport the supermarkets are open until 10:00 pm. Most of the other shops are closed by 5:30 pm.

Ok back to topic. Any advice from people who have moved state from perth to elswhere would be gratefully appreciated.:wink:

I have not lived in Perth BUT my niece came to Sydney on a WHV for a year, and loved it (she worked full-time and only had a couple of months travelling, so she got a good idea of "normal" Sydney living). She would've migrated but couldn't find a sponsor.

A few years later she got the chance of a short contract at her employer's Perth office and jumped at it with great excitement. Three months in, they wanted to extend the contract, she said no. She found Perth far too quiet. So while Flag is right, Australian cities do appear very similar on the surface, their culture is more different than you think!

I certainly wouldn't advise moving to Sydney because although it's far more lively than Perth, it's also horrendously expensive. Whether Brisbane would be enough for you I can't say. Sounds like you need to take a holiday there for a fortnight or so, this time you'll know what to look for.

I think you need to do a road trip over here, maybe try and line up some interviews or at least some places / company's to cold call.

I would say spend a week looking around at areas, you mentioned earlier about going to get coffee at 7.40 pm, and lots of suburbs here with coffee type shops would be closing or have closed by then too. You would need access to quite a busy or touristy suburb for the above ,which also means renting / buying could be just as much as your paying over there.

Maybe write down the pro's and con's of where you are and see what you could maybe do without, or as someone as previously said you may jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Cal x

Well its a funny one. I visited Brisbane in 2000 and fell for it hook line and sinker, cheap houses nice city, met steve Irwin and so decided that's where I was going. Fast forward 12 years and 2 kids later along with a constant nagging of the other half we applied for our PR visas and were sent to Perth.

I left a business in the UK during the recession and thought it was a shrewd move, I was also concerned about immigration and where it was all heading etc. Here I am 2 years and 3 months in and I am physically and mentally knackered. The high cost of living and the downturn in construction along with the upturn in construction in the UK as indicated by fellow uk workers has made me think of returning. However this is where my wife is of a different opinion. It took me years to persuade her to come here and now she doesn't want to return to the Uk.I t would probably be prudent to stay until we get our full citizenship but financially its crippling us.I was thinking of going back to re establish my old business and make some money to return. It was a niche business and very rewarding financially and I know it can be rekindled. I also miss the late shopping eating culture, a good curry, good customer service, and to be frank here in Perth its boring as . Has anyone been in the same situation, should we go to Brisbane, would that as a city and place be more happening.

Similar experiences appreciated, and please no off topic such as , immigration in the Uk, or Aus v Uk etc

Thanks guys

Stay where you are get your citizenship .

All downturns and upturns are temporary .

I mean the Chinese and Indians have to have somewhere to invest don't they ?

There is loads of work in the u.k now ,but how much of it ,is well paid ?

There are dark winter nights and dark winter nights. Some great establishments to pass time in, in many a European location. I'm sure that would include UK pubs. here on a dank winters night mid week would you really bother?

I never bothered with pubs during the week in the UK and really not much at the weekends either but that's just me. Once I'd finished work - and I worked a lot outside with farm vets, all I wanted to do was get into a warm house and stay there. I'm sure lots of people do toddle down to their local for a bevvie on a cold dark winters night though.

I never bothered with pubs during the week in the UK and really not much at the weekends either but that's just me. Once I'd finished work - and I worked a lot outside with farm vets, all I wanted to do was get into a warm house and stay there. I'm sure lots of people do toddle down to their local for a bevvie on a cold dark winters night though.

I probably wouldn't have bothered outside of London either. (with some exceptions) across the ditch though still very relevant going out in winter. Urban life hardly grinding to a halt due to weather.

Massive amount of housing and commercial construction all around the Gold Coast atm; also for the upcoming commonwealth games. Every major builder has a hand in. My builder said they have just secured a further ready built 20 plots last week and already 40 percent sold.

Archived